Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Gwen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Toddler Formula

My DD weaned about 3 months ago at 14 months. I'm pregnant with my second and my milk dried up and she quit.

She is a really late teether - she only has five teeth.

She tends to want only liquid nutrition. She is on Soy milk - ped said no to goat and she can't do cow.

Welp - now she had toddler diarrhea - common cond. where toddler's get chronic diarrhea because they don't have enough fat in the old diet.

I think I need to put here on toddler formula till she gets over some of these teething hump....

Anyone have any recs??

Gwen

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toddler Formula

I think Isomil has a second step soy, as does Good start. I am not sure what else that wouldn't be rediculously expensive. Are you sure she isn't actually allergic to the soy milk? About %50 of kids that are allergic to cow's milk are allergic to soy. Diarrhea would definately be a symptom. I would suggest rice milk, but if it is a fat thing, that has less than soy milk, so that's no help.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
Tad
Registered Users

My Mood:

My Ped told to go with formula until DS is 2. He's allergic to milk (luckily not soy) and will not be able to transfer to cow's milk at 12 months. Instead, we'll transfer to Soy Toddler formula - there are a few brands out there. Reason was that soy/rice/oat milks lack many nutritions that cow's milk has. I have not researched more, since we've still got a few months to go.
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
Gwen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So Glad I'm not the only one - wish my ped would have told me to do soy formula instead of soy milk

Gwen
Old 02-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
sienna
Registered Users

Just be aware that drinking the formula will not encourage her to eat solids, if that is what you want.

S
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Gwen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's been 3 months of chronic diarrhea because she is not getting enough fat in her diet..

She drinks about 16 oz of soymilk a day. She is not a big eater - and it is hard to get her to eat fatting foods.

She has not gained much wt. - but nothing alarming - just more concerned about her fat consumption.

I think once she is teething less she will do better with her solids - but I feel like 3 months is long enough to try to get her to make up her nutrional defiencies on her own solid eating.

We will see....

I've know kids who where taking in large amounts of milk or formula and that stunted their transtion to solids - I really don't think that is what is going on with DD.

Gwen
Old 02-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
Evolution Diapers
Registered Users
Formerly: goddess3_2005
seller

I would think she's allergic to soy. Soy is horrible for babies http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/soy.htm. I would look into goats milk, its the closest to humans milk and easily digested by babies.
Evolution Diapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd has some medical issues, and one of the results is that she is not a good eater at all. She is on a toddler formula, but it is a medical food. Anyway, there are ways to add fat to her diet. I don't know how much she eats, but you can add olive oil or flax seed oil to her foods when she does eat. There is also a powdered stuff call Duocal that is basically powdered fat and carbs to add to foods. We are doing both of those with dd...oils and duocal, as per her GI's orders. It might be something to look into if she doesn't take to the toddler formula. It might not be so tastey.

I assume your dr has done stool samples to make sure that it is only low fat intake that is causing it. I hope you can get her figured out soon.

Last edited by Menfusse; 02-19-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Menfusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
Kels5kids
Registered Users
Formerly: Kels4kids
seller

My Mood:

I stopped using formula when my son was 13mths. He is now 17mths old and the last 3 weeks I have been using Enfamil Next step. He is not much of a drinker and he picks at his food so I worried he wasn't getting the nutrients he needed. He drinks 2 6oz cups of it daily and a little bit of milk. He seems to like it more than milk so I decided to buy another can. I see no problems with using it. It is for kids up to 24mths old.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
Ashling
Registered Users
Formerly: mamastone
seller

My Mood:

If your toddler refuses to eat enough solid foods, you'd probably want to use a regular formula. Toddler formulas are based on the idea that your child is eating a signifigant ammount of their diet as solids and have less in them nutritionally.
Ashling is offline   Reply With Quote