Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
Whoamama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Nursing laying down pointers?!

How do you do it with a NB?! I just couldnt get the logistics down...I Layed down and put him beside me (laying on my right side) trying to hold my boob with one hand and his head with the other...and he just couldnt get on right. I tried holding boob in left, and head in right...the akward position of my right arm made it hard to get his mouth on quick and correct, and holding my boob with right was REALLY akward position...tips?

And..why was it easier to latch him on the right, and difficult on the left??My boobs are a little different sized, but not too terribly off, maybe 3/t4 of bra cup size different...or could it be that Im right handed?!

Im kinda worried that Ill get frustrated with the same hurdles as I mentioned above with DS with new baby and give up with new baby....Im smaller now, by about 50 lbs and my boobs are about 3 cups smaller now...from DDD to C...think that might help??

Any links or info you can pass along to help me perservere would be APPRECIATED by all

Advertisement

Whoamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing laying down pointers?!

I never held anything (head or boob) while nursing lying down. I would put his head on my bicep, latch him on, and go to sleep :P After a few tries he learned how to find my nipple which made it much easier.

My boobs are actually big enough that I could roll over a little more and get him on the other boob without having to change sides (actually on my right side, my left boob was easier for me - the right one required me to almost, but not quite lie on my back).

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i lay down with the side i plan to nurse on, with that arm curled up under my head. Newby lays beside me, and i position him and get him latched...then go back to sleep lol!

My little one also has a good latch and we havnt' had any problems so maybe that has to do with the success?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never really got it with a newborn, but with my 4 months old I hold his head in the crook of my elbow, with my arm so that my hand is basically at his butt. I pile a couple of pillows under my head so that I'm comfortable. That's the only way he'll go to sleep at night any more.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
maymommy10
Registered Users
seller

nak...

I lay on my side with my arm up under my pillow, then hold my boob with my other hand so he can get latched, and then we're good. I've been doing this since about 1-2 weeks with no problem. I often lay a burp cloth underneath us because sometimes he pulls off and I'm leaking everywhere. I am about a D-DD cup, if that makes a difference.
maymommy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
maymommy10
Registered Users
seller

double post
maymommy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK, I do it a whole nother way, lol! I am the weird one.

I lay on my left side to nurse with the right boob and sit baby up facing me and they nurse on the "top" breast. Does that make since. Then I roll over and repeat. Tha tis the only way I could do it with a tiny one.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
Never really got it with a newborn, but with my 4 months old I hold his head in the crook of my elbow, with my arm so that my hand is basically at his butt. I pile a couple of pillows under my head so that I'm comfortable. That's the only way he'll go to sleep at night any more.
yep this
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Make sure you LO is belly to belly with you and put a blanket behind his back so he doesn't roll to his back and unlatch. And a pillow or two under your head so you are comfy. Just keep trying and you'll both get the hang of it.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
luvmyanklebiters
Registered Users

i never could w/a newborn..sara was proll 8-9 months before we could and thank goodness for that..lol...she still wakes numerous times a night to eat so its much easier now.i just lay on my side and lay on my arm she lays on her side facing me and she puts her arm up under my boob while the other one is on top of it,she looks as if shes holding a football(i think shes afraid if she lets go someone will take it)
luvmyanklebiters is offline   Reply With Quote