Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Charliesmom2009
FILE WITH PAYPAL if in a transaction with this member! Contact ~happy2Bamommy~ as well please.

My Mood:
Need advice Working w/ a breasfed baby

My son is 8 months old. Tomrorow am I start work fulltime outside the home. He doesnt take a bottle but eats solids.
What do I do about him eating? Pump for him? Do I just have DH offer solids and hope he'll reverse cycle?
Help never worked with a breastfed baby before.

This is my first post. My name is Chrissie I am a mom to 6 kids ages 11 by 9 boy, 7 boy, 6 girl, 2 boy and 8 months boy. We live in Southeast Kansas.

Thanks for any help

Advertisement

Charliesmom2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need advice Working w/ a breasfed baby

Hi mama! I'm a WOHM and worked while nursing my last son til a year.

Do you have any breast milk pumped for him already? So when you leave DH can offer a breastmilk in a cup or at least try a bottle again if he's refused?

If not how long will you be at work? If you are gone for more than 5 hours and have no breastmilk pumped I think you should at least offer formula until you are able to pump for him just so he is getting the nourishment he needs.

If you plan on continuing to feed him breastmilk 100% of the time you will need to pump while at work. otherwise you could just continue to feed him when you are at home and supplement w/ formula while you are work.

Good luck!!!

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Hi Chrissie! How long will your shift be at work? I'd think that if you were to be away for like 4 or 5 hours, then he would likely be okay with just the solids. If you're working a full day - like 8 or 9 hours away - then I'd say make sure he has pumped milk available. I'd definitely suggest pumping. It will help you keep your supply up even if your son doesn't drink it all. After you figure out how much he's drinking during the day, you can decide whether or not to keep it up. I pumped at work until DS was 11 months, but he's still nursing at 21 months.

Have you tried offering pumped milk in a sippy or open cup instead of a bottle? Mine much preferred the cup - I think bottle nipples we kind of confusing for him. At the very least, I'd think your DH should offer water to keep your son hydrated even if he won't take the milk. I'd plan to have the milk on hand, even if you're hoping he does reverse cycle. Good luck!
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
Charliesmom2009
FILE WITH PAYPAL if in a transaction with this member! Contact ~happy2Bamommy~ as well please.

My Mood:

I'll work day shift 8-5 I plan o pumping tonight maybe tomrorow am for tomorow. I'm nervous about leaving him. But he'll be okay I'm sure.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
BookishMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ITA that you should pump on your break(s) and lunch hour. I am only working in the office two days per week from now until the end of September, but on those two days I pump 3 times each day. Not only will pumping help you to provide milk for your DS, but it will also help you to prevent yourself from getting plugged ducts and/or mastitis.
DS (6), DD (Born 2/15/2010)
BookishMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Leave pumped milk - he might take it from a bottle or sippy if you are not home. Have DH or your sitter offer the milk first and then offer solids.

My DS (9 mos) eats 2, 4-5 oz bottles while I am at work, as well as eating solids and sometimes juice. A few times he's had an ear infection that made it painful to suck from a bottle, and he made it up by nursing at home.

I used to pump 3x/day at work an send 7 oz bottles, but DS started drinking less milk & eating more solids, so now I pump twice & send smaller bottles.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!

Last edited by sandy_dandy; 06-15-2010 at 09:13 PM.
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
Charliesmom2009

My Mood:

I got a lactina pump from my insurance. So when I pump I get 2-3 oz combined Should i get more? Charlie has been drinking about 12 oz while I'm gone. He has done very well
Now after not pumping all day for 2 days my right breast hurts I hope i dont get mastitis
Old 06-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
konayossie
Registered Users

2-3 oz per pump is great! You might start to get more as you get more used to it.

Why have you not pumped for 2 days? Is it b/c you've been home with your DS? You've got to be sure and pump whenever you're away from him. You can also pump at home if he's not taking as much from the breast as you are used to expressing during the day. That would help keep up your supply.
konayossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliesmom2009 View Post
I got a lactina pump from my insurance. So when I pump I get 2-3 oz combined Should i get more? Charlie has been drinking about 12 oz while I'm gone. He has done very well
Now after not pumping all day for 2 days my right breast hurts I hope i dont get mastitis
2-3 oz sounds good for a new pumper.

Try pumping to relieve your sore breast - you can always freeze the milk if you don't need it within the next week.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
Charliesmom2009

My Mood:

I pumped another 3 oz so I have at least 5 oz for tomrrrow Hoping tomrorow morning will be 4 oz or so. Well see how it goes Breast isnt hurting as bad since i used hat and pumped twice Its nice and empty with pumping and nursing.
I noticed the milk followed so well after i relaxed andwasnt worried about the oz pumping out