Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
AmyEm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Moms with older baby/toddler girls---question about hair

My DD is 15mos old and her hair is starting to grow out a bit more now. Her bangs are hanging in her eyes unless I do something to hold them back...

The problem is that she pulls out everything in her hair!!

Do your dds allow bows/clips/ponytails/etc in their hair??

I got some really cute bows in a trade from here that will actually stay in her hair...IF she would just leave them alone.

I don't know what to do...I don't really want to cut her bangs but her hair just hangs in her eyes all the time b/c if I try to put a blow or clip in to hold her hair back she just pulls it out!!

So, what did you do with your older baby/toddler girl's hair??

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moms with older baby/toddler girls---question about hair

It was a constant struggle, but I really, really, really emphasized "no touching" with all my girls. My oldest wouldn't allow anything in her hair until she was three, my second was great until my sadistic in-laws cut her hair and now my third has "pretty pretties" that she knows she's not allowed to touch (and she's 22 months).

As archaic as it sounds, a simple flick on the fingers did the trick for my girls. You'll have to find what works for you whether it be constant and repeatative "NO, DON'T TOUCH!" or whatever else may work. I've always given my kids time to understand that they aren't supposed to touch their hairbows but I will flick them on the fingers after a certain timeframe of constant no's.

good luck mama and just keep in mind it will get better because she'll see how "pretty" she looks with such cute hairbows and stuff and it'll appeal to the vanity side of her (all kids are like that).
Old 02-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
2beautifulgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately, yes, both of my girls always pulled out every single thing I put in their hair. But sometimes I could just kind of police them and watch them and tell them no, no. but you can't always be there. I have no good advice for you except that by the time they are 3 or 4 they will very likely love having stuff in their hair. Both of mine do now. Well, my 5 YO loves it and my nearly 3YO does too, but still ends up pulling them out. We let my 5YO hair grow till it was long enough to be cut to all one length and are thinking of doing the same with the 3 yo, but who knows. Maybe they are destined to always have some hair in their eyes. lol.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd will be 16 mos on the 28th. She was born with a head full of hair and I have been combing and styling hair since she was 7 mos old. She went through a phase where she pulled things out. She'd look me right in the eye and pull them out. . . as I yelled, "no!". Rubber bands did the trick. They were even hard for me to get out. They were for hair, but not the easy glide ones. Now (and for quite some time) she's left everything alone - aside from pulling out the occasional hair clip. I usually put her hair in pigtails on either side of her head or one on top and one in the back or one on either side of her head and one in back.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:10 AM   #5
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD was born with a full head of hair and for the longest time would leave clips and bows in her hair. Around a year she started pulling them out and sticking them in her mouth. At 2 now she leaves everything be - except ponytails for some reason. Our solution was to cut her bangs and not deal with it. But cutting hair is totally not a big deal to me. If you want to keep trying just put them in when you can keep an eye on her and tell her no. Eventually she'll get used to the feel of them and leave them be.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd went through the phase of pulling things out, and still does with ponytails, but she's much better now (she's 28mos.) I did cut her bangs, though, both because I wanted to, and so I wouldn't have to deal with the hair hanging in her face.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dakotah is 17 months and has lots of curly hair. I use those clear hair rubber bands. They come out with out pulling her hair but she can't get her fingers around them to pull out. For her bangs, I do trim them every so often because they get in her eyes and it bugs me to see it like that.
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote