Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Mastitis

I am pretty positive I have Mastitis going on in my left b00bie. I've never had it before so I'm not sure what I should do about it. I woke up yesterday morning and my entire left b00b was tender and sore to the touch (just the left, not the right). My dd is 3 weeks old (I never experienced this when I BF my ds). Last night I got a killer migraine and also began to run a temp of 100.8. This morning my b00b feels a little better but my temp is 101, I still have a migraine, my b00b is very warm to the touch, and there are red blotchy areas. I just generally feel sick. I tried to nurse like crazy last night on the side that hurts. This morning I stood in a really hot shower. What else can I do? I'm worried about it getting worse. Should I call my doc? Do I have to take antibiotics? Thanks!

Advertisement

Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
MammaNilsson
Registered Users
seller

Re: Mastitis

Stay in bed and rest and nurse baby as much as baby is willing to nurse. If you have a pump, you can try pumping (in between nursing) for about 4 hours or so straight.

If your fever doesn't break or you feel worse instead of betterby morning, then you may want to schedule an appointment w/ your doctor. Not everyone needs antibiotics, but don't hesitate to get them if you need them. Just beef up on your yogurt intake so you don't end up w/ a yeast infection afterward.

I hope you feel better soon.
MammaNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took a homeopathic for my mastitis (sounds just like yours) a couple of weeks ago- it's poke root, or phytolacca decandra. That combined with rest and nursing did the trick
Old 06-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
mandyhoward
Registered Users

I got mastitis when ds was about 7 months old and I was so, so sick. My fever was pushing 103 and I couldn't get out of bed; it was awful. I ran straight to the doc for antibiotics, but if I hadn't felt so bad I probably would've tried a natural approach first.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the suggestions! I called my doc who called in an antibiotic already. I am feeling a little better but that could be the ibuprofen. My dh will pick up the antibiotic this afternoon. I really would rather not take it though if I don't have to. Maybe I'll wait to see how I feel tonight to decide. dd usually just nurses on one side so I've been pumping after she eats to make sure that both breasts are empty. How long should I expect it to last?
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i came down with mastitis suddenly last saturday(104 fever, killer blinding headache, stabbing back ache). the other symptoms were so bad that i didnt even notice my boob was red/swollen until the ER doc pointed it out round 1 of antibiotics did not work so im on a double strength now (dont let that scare you, im allergic to the "conventional" antibiotics they prescribe) good luck. ibuprofen helped and so did compresses.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
KiltedKingdom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My baby is 2 weeks old. I asked my midwife about mastitis (prevention, cure) at my 1-day visit after he was born, and she said to take lots of calcium and Magnesium to prevent it, and if I do get it, that rubbing castor oil on the breasts will draw out the infection. I haven't gotten mastitis yet!!! (I had it with 3 of the others, fairly quickly after my milk came in, so I know how miserable it can be).
Old 06-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
RedheadMom09
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't play around with mastitis. I had it three times and have never been so sick in my life. The first time I tried treating it naturally and it did go away, or so it seemed. It came back 4 weeks later, so that time I got antibiotics, but they only gave me 10 days worth. Four weeks go by and it was back for a third time. This time they did a breast ultrasound and I had a small abscess which was probably from the original infection. I had to do a 30 day regimen of strong antibiotics and another 60 days of low dose antibiotics to get rid of it. If the antibiotics hadn't cured it, I would have needed surgery to drain it. So, be aggressive, hit it with everything you can, natural and medical.
RedheadMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry! I have had it 3 times. I hate, hate, hate antibiotics and will avoid them if I can. I took them the first time I had it but managed to get rid of it myself the last two times. Get in a hot bath as often as you can and soak that breast, with some epsom salts if you have them. Massage, massage, massage the spot while you hand express into the bath water. Nurse on that breast as soon as you get out. I do this every few hours.

If your temp goes much higher than 101 or you start feeling really fluish go ahead and take the antibiotics, and they will make you feel a lot better within a couple of doses. Make sure you get right on the probiotics if you do though or you might end up with thrush next week! GL
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've had mastitis three times. The first time I took antibiotics, the other two I did not. With alot of rubbing and hot compress (plus NURSING NURSING NURSING) I recovered the same way from all three.