Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2010, 01:26 AM   #101
SammyJammy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: If you want to join, sponsor or run the Summer weightloss challenge check in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyBreAndBabyMake3 View Post
I'll do it too :-) DH comes home from Iraq in 30-40 days and I want to finish toning up and possibly lose 5 lbs so I'm all in. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do any type of spreadsheet so I hope someone else can make one up.
I can't do spreadsheets either but would love to try to join the weight loss. My goal is to lose 100lbs in 6 months I know it's kind of out their but I am trying to shoot for the stars!! I am starting at 245 but hope to be back at a 145 by Christmas!

Advertisement

Last edited by SammyJammy; 06-23-2010 at 01:31 AM.
SammyJammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:58 AM   #102
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Summer weightloss challenge starts today! check in here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
I think viewing it as a webpage doesn't allow you to edit. I'm not sure why it isn't opening for editing?? It gave me an error too but then when I tried a second time it worked. So odd!

But anyway, I added all the new participants. They are not in alpha order so just search for your name and get used to where it is on the spreadsheet I just tried the link that Jess posted in the first post and it worked for me. When someone gets a chance if they can open and see if they are able to edit their own info I'd appreciate it!
It let me into the editing option. It is a link in the bottom left. I didn't edit but clicked and it would let me.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:19 AM   #103
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2jack View Post
Question of the day: how supportive is your so? do they have weight issues themseves or are they fit as a fiddle?
My DH has always been very supportive. His weight varies, he's been stressed lately so he could lose some, but he doesn't have a problem losing it when he sets his mind to (unlike me). He's generally pretty fit.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:06 AM   #104
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Question of the day: how supportive is your so? do they have weight issues themseves or are they fit as a fiddle?

I didn't have time to answer this yesterday, so I'll answer it now

My FH is quite supportive of my efforts to get my weight under control. He is not in perfect shape himself and has his own struggles with weight. He is maybe 20 lbs heavier than he would like to be. He is also diabetic and has high blood pressure, so working out is more of a health thing for him than it is for me. I'm not going to lie.... for me, losing weight is more about looking better and feeling better about myself, being healthier is a side benefit. We don't work out together -- I prefer to run alone (time for just ME!) and am also fairly self-conscious about people seeing me suck wind and struggle. FH has been impressed, though, at how hard I've been working these past couple of weeks. He forgets how obsessive I can become when I set my mind to something....

Just yesterday, we set our wedding date for August 2nd -- which is less than 6 weeks away. I want to look good at our super-simple-barefoot-on-the-beach wedding, so this is good motivation for me to keep working hard.

I have a weight-loss related question: is it BAD to weigh yourself every day? The reason I ask this is because I was at 162 on Monday and was at 159 this morning. Something seems wrong with that -- is it possible to lose 3 pounds that fast or is that some kind of misleading fluke? Should I just stay away from the scale until my next official weigh in next Monday?

Last edited by FrenchTeacher; 06-23-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo, arrrgh
FrenchTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #105
Jen1409
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Starting on the treadmill again tonight, no interruptions!
A bad day for your ego is a great day for your soul. - Jillian Michaels
Jen1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #106
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

french teacher---i wouldn't weigh yourself every day. you can flucuate just by eating salty foods, not having a bm, or skipping breakfast! seriously it will only depress you to weigh yourself, get a great number, and then be back at the same thing 2 days later. only weigh once a week at the same time of the day. that way you have some kind of constant
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #107
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloecat View Post
french teacher---i wouldn't weigh yourself every day. you can flucuate just by eating salty foods, not having a bm, or skipping breakfast! seriously it will only depress you to weigh yourself, get a great number, and then be back at the same thing 2 days later. only weigh once a week at the same time of the day. that way you have some kind of constant
Thanks, Meagan! I had a feeling this was going to be the answer, because losing 3 pounds seems a bit crazy for 2 days.

Not weighing myself everyday will be hard for me because I tend to be a bit obsessive. I may actually have to have FH hide the scale from me for the week.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #108
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerica View Post
My DH is incredibly, 100% supportive. We're doing this together. 8 months ago I was 250 lbs, and my DH was 350 lbs. He had some blood work done, and was told that he was diabetic. That news just scared him so much that he vowed that day to change his life. He is 56 years old (26 years older than I am) and he wants to be healthy for his children so that he can be around for them for as long as possible.

So starting that day we started eating healthy! We cut out most red meats and buy ground turkey instead, and we eat a lot of chicken. No more white rice - now it's brown rice. Lots of fruit and veggies and whole grains. It's actually been a really fun journey to be on together, and it certainly is not a diet - it's a true life style change. We don't want to be fat and unhealthy, and we don't want to set that example for our children.

In 8 months, I've gone from 250 to 186. And my DH has gone from 350 to 224. He no longer has high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes. He gets down on the floor and plays with the kids. It has been AMAZING and AWESOME to watch him work so hard. I love his dedication and commitment to be the best father he can be.

Somewhere on this weightloss forum I posted his full story, plus before and after pictures if anyone is interested in seeing!!

Erica, you have come so far already! What great encouragement

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchTeacher View Post
I didn't have time to answer this yesterday, so I'll answer it now

My FH is quite supportive of my efforts to get my weight under control. He is not in perfect shape himself and has his own struggles with weight. He is maybe 20 lbs heavier than he would like to be. He is also diabetic and has high blood pressure, so working out is more of a health thing for him than it is for me. I'm not going to lie.... for me, losing weight is more about looking better and feeling better about myself, being healthier is a side benefit. We don't work out together -- I prefer to run alone (time for just ME!) and am also fairly self-conscious about people seeing me suck wind and struggle. FH has been impressed, though, at how hard I've been working these past couple of weeks. He forgets how obsessive I can become when I set my mind to something....

Just yesterday, we set our wedding date for August 2nd -- which is less than 6 weeks away. I want to look good at our super-simple-barefoot-on-the-beach wedding, so this is good motivation for me to keep working hard.

I have a weight-loss related question: is it BAD to weigh yourself every day? The reason I ask this is because I was at 162 on Monday and was at 159 this morning. Something seems wrong with that -- is it possible to lose 3 pounds that fast or is that some kind of misleading fluke? Should I just stay away from the scale until my next official weigh in next Monday?
Congrats on setting your date

I hear you on weighing yourself too much That darn scale is just so tempting when you want to see if your hard work is paying off.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #109
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Question of the day:
What habit change is harder for you, changing the way you eat or getting up and being active?

In the past for me I have always had a difficult time with curbing my sweet tooth and exercise wasn't too big of a deal for me. I have realized that now it is the opposite for me. With the boys it is hard to find the time to get in a really kick butt workout. We do go on family hikes or go swimming ect. but getting a workout in where I can feel it the next day is tough. I don't like running on my treadmill while I am alone with them cause my 3 yr old wants to sneak up behind me and hop on (scary!)
I am much more motivated in the food department. We ate fairly healthy before, whole grains, lean meats, some veggies and fruits and treats thrown in. We don't go out to eat unless it is a special occasion and we are not paying
When we got our netflix I started watching way too many food documentaries and decided to give our diets an overhaul for health and ethical reasons. Not necessarily for weight loss. I switched to as much organic and local as I can afford, no pre-packaged foods (unless you count cheese and yogurt) added in a ton of raw food to our diets and I bake most of our breads (not much latley since it is so hot though.) I only serve meat or fish once or twice a week and have gone almost completely vegetarian myself. I have actually coped much better with the change since it isn't coming from a place where I am denying myself but seeing what I can add into our diets that is packed with nutrition instead of preservatives and chemicals. It has been fun finding new recipes and trying new foods. I joined a csa and we get local organic fruits and veggies every week for $15. You don't get to pick what is in your share but it has definitley broadened my horizons from just lettuce, peas, carrots, ect. I never would have know I love asian turnips! Buying organic is more expensive (that is why I cut out meat at first) but I am much mor likley to eat up those veggies if I paid alot for them

Wow, I am rambling here, lol.

ETA: in the month since we have made the switch ds1 has not needed any of his asthma meds, really hoping that it is related!

Last edited by mama2jack; 06-23-2010 at 08:44 AM.
mama2jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #110
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Question of the day:
What habit change is harder for you, changing the way you eat or getting up and being active?
For me it is getting up and being active. DD is older so I don't have to chase her anymore. So getting up and moving around more is hard. I do have a sweet tooth but that is easy to curb..just don't buy sweets. That is how I deal with it atleast.