Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #111
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Summer weightloss challenge starts today! check in here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2jack View Post
Question of the day:
What habit change is harder for you, changing the way you eat or getting up and being active?
For me, I have a hard time changing the way I eat. I mean, I am having a *really* hard time. Now that I've made myself start walking/running (trying to do C25K), I find that I get a great rush out of doing it and getting all sweaty and sore. I am an adrenaline junkie, so I just put on my iPod and decide that I will.not.QUIT! Finding the time to do it is tough because of my boys, but I find the time somewhere. As much as the running exhausts me, I am actually finding that I have *more* energy (how is that possible?) now that I've started doing it.

Food....ugh. I have lousy eating habits. I have a major weakness for cheese. And a worse weakness for white wine. In fact, I think my recent weight gain is probably due to rediscovering white wine. I am not proud of that. I am having a hard time adjusting my eating habits to include healthier choices, so I just kind of have a tendency to not eat. I have always tended to be a starvation dieter (history of anorexia), and I know I need to work on that. Because I don't know all that much about what foods are "good", when I do eat when I'm trying to lose weight, it is mostly yogurt and salad -- and I know that doesn't provide me with enough nutrients. Last night I ate a salad and a veggie pattie for dinner. I don't usually eat breakfast because I'm not hungry at that time and I just drink coffee. A lot of coffee. Lunch is also kind of hit or miss, sometimes I eat it, sometimes I don't.

Wow, when I type this all, I realize just how bad my eating habits really are. Like I said, the exercise is going okay because I get a rush from it. I don't get much of a rush from a salad.

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #112
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Question of the day: how supportive is your so? do they have weight issues themseves or are they fit as a fiddle?
I'm answering this today because I haven't had a chance. My dh isn't supportive AT ALL It really irks me. He is very sweet though. When I say I need to eat better and lose weight, he says "but you are beautiful, I don't understand why you hate your body?" First off I don't hate my body and secondly I'm not just 10 lbs overweight here. The top end of normal BMI for my height is 159 and I'm at 207! He continues to buy chips, sugary cereal and ice cream. Even when I do the grocery shopping he'll go back out and get these things. I do my best to stay away from these things but it isn't always easy.

Also he was in the 170's about 7 years ago... he is now 230lbs. So he is putting on about 10lbs a year on avg. Even though he's gained weight he has not changed his eating habits at all and doesn't plan to. When I mention, hey you may want to start doing something about gaining 10lbs per year, he just says... "I'm fine". argghhh!!! But anyway, that is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchTeacher View Post
Not weighing myself everyday will be hard for me because I tend to be a bit obsessive. I may actually have to have FH hide the scale from me for the week.
Karen, I'm totally obsessive too! I've weighed myself everyday for years. I'll have DH hide it from me! Congrats on the beach wedding! You'll have to post pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerica View Post
My DH is incredibly, 100% supportive. We're doing this together. 8 months ago I was 250 lbs, and my DH was 350 lbs. He had some blood work done, and was told that he was diabetic. That news just scared him so much that he vowed that day to change his life. He is 56 years old (26 years older than I am) and he wants to be healthy for his children so that he can be around for them for as long as possible.

So starting that day we started eating healthy! We cut out most red meats and buy ground turkey instead, and we eat a lot of chicken. No more white rice - now it's brown rice. Lots of fruit and veggies and whole grains. It's actually been a really fun journey to be on together, and it certainly is not a diet - it's a true life style change. We don't want to be fat and unhealthy, and we don't want to set that example for our children.

In 8 months, I've gone from 250 to 186. And my DH has gone from 350 to 224. He no longer has high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes. He gets down on the floor and plays with the kids. It has been AMAZING and AWESOME to watch him work so hard. I love his dedication and commitment to be the best father he can be.

Somewhere on this weightloss forum I posted his full story, plus before and after pictures if anyone is interested in seeing!!
Erica, What a great story! Thanks for sharing!

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #113
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Question of the day:
What habit change is harder for you, changing the way you eat or getting up and being active?
Hands down its changing the way I eat. I love exercising and feel terrible if I don't. I also belong to a number of group classes and have become friends w/ the other participants so its a socialization thing for me too.

Has anyone tried a body bugg or the Go wear fit? Apparently they are the same thing. I'm thinking of purchasing one. Here is the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #114
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Not weighing myself everyday will be hard for me because I tend to be a bit obsessive. I may actually have to have FH hide the scale from me for the week
I weigh myself every single day, and honestly, I think it's the best thing for me. I understand that normal weight fluctuates, and so I don't get upset over a 1 lbs gain or whatever... but when I weigh every day, it holds me accountable for my choices. It's too easy for me to eat badly, and not get on the scale because I'm afraid to see the results. But if I weigh every day, even if I have a bad week, I'm not burying my head in the sand and ignoring my weight. Hope that makes sense

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #115
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Karen- try giving yourself a challenge like working in low cal protien, eating "clean" or trying a new veggie.

Ali- uggg, having your hubby go back out and get the junky stuff has got to be so hard. I have a hard time with willpower if the junk is in my house too. I think I would have to make hubby lock it up and keep the key

Last edited by mama2jack; 06-23-2010 at 10:43 AM.
mama2jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #116
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Question of the day:
Being active is harder for me. We actually eat pretty healthy, which is easy for us because we simply don't buy chip, ice cream, treats, etc...when it's not in the house, it's a lot easier not to eat it!! But being active has always been hard. I just try to do things like more yard work and house work that doesn't seem like exercise, but at least it's getting me to move more. Someday I would love to get to a weight were I would feel comfortable going for a run. I just love that thought - me as a runner. My sister and my stepmom are runners, and for me to join them someday would be so awesome.

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #117
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

I still havent posted my weight because I'm still sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchTeacher View Post
I have a weight-loss related question: is it BAD to weigh yourself every day? The reason I ask this is because I was at 162 on Monday and was at 159 this morning. Something seems wrong with that -- is it possible to lose 3 pounds that fast or is that some kind of misleading fluke? Should I just stay away from the scale until my next official weigh in next Monday?
I think it really depends on your personality. I weigh in every day (sometimes multiple times), but not obsessively. I genuinely like to see the changes in the scale from day to day, and throughout the day, as I exercise, as I nurse my baby, etc. It helps me understand my body better. Besides, if you only weigh once a week, but that one time happens to be after a salty meal, after not having a bm, etc, then you're still going to freak out that you gained/didn't lose very much. If I show a steady loss every single day but then the number creeps back up on official weigh in day, I don't have to worry about it because i know I was on track and the rise is most likely temporary. But again, it really just depends on the person. I really don't get freaked out about daily/weekly fluctuations like some might be prone to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
I'm answering this today because I haven't had a chance. My dh isn't supportive AT ALL It really irks me. He is very sweet though. When I say I need to eat better and lose weight, he says "but you are beautiful, I don't understand why you hate your body?" First off I don't hate my body and secondly I'm not just 10 lbs overweight here. The top end of normal BMI for my height is 159 and I'm at 207! He continues to buy chips, sugary cereal and ice cream. Even when I do the grocery shopping he'll go back out and get these things. I do my best to stay away from these things but it isn't always easy.

Also he was in the 170's about 7 years ago... he is now 230lbs. So he is putting on about 10lbs a year on avg. Even though he's gained weight he has not changed his eating habits at all and doesn't plan to. When I mention, hey you may want to start doing something about gaining 10lbs per year, he just says... "I'm fine". argghhh!!! But anyway, that is another story.
Would he be more supportive of a "be healthier and happier" lifestyle change as opposed to a "weight loss program"? If he saw how much happier and energetic you were while exercising regularly? It makes such a difference in my state of mind that my husband can't help but notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerica View Post
I weigh myself every single day, and honestly, I think it's the best thing for me. I understand that normal weight fluctuates, and so I don't get upset over a 1 lbs gain or whatever... but when I weigh every day, it holds me accountable for my choices. It's too easy for me to eat badly, and not get on the scale because I'm afraid to see the results. But if I weigh every day, even if I have a bad week, I'm not burying my head in the sand and ignoring my weight. Hope that makes sense
That
Old 06-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #118
Love4leon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm still waiting to get a scale- Sorry... hope its ok if I get my first weight posted a little late?
Love4leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #119
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4leon View Post
I'm still waiting to get a scale- Sorry... hope its ok if I get my first weight posted a little late?
thats fine
Old 06-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #120
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Question of the day:
Definitely changing the way I eat! I have no problem being active most of the time, and when I do slip (life gets in the way) its easy to get back on track. Eating is a different story. We don't eat a ton of crap, I just eat too much of what we do eat. Lots of nibbling, especially during the afternoon, and picking at the kids stuff.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote