Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #11
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moving from Teacher to WAHM...and all that goes w/ it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby's_mama View Post
I could be a great mom and a frazzled, often unprepared and behind in my paperwork, late for work, overtired and cranky teacher who didn't assign her students any cool projects to do (because I'd then have to grade all this extra work), OR I could be a great teacher who was always there for her students and had amazing lesson plans and fun activities, but a tired, cranky, always trying to stay on top of the paperwork mom who had little free time or energy for her son.

This is it EXACTLY!! Except I am not one of the other- I am both

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What district are you in?? I teach at a PS in Sacramento and was able to take a year (but could have taken two) of parental leave last year with my son. Not only that, but I didn't lose tenure or salary placement and I can take two years of parental leave again if needed. It was ideal for me because my son had some MAJOR health issues that I couldn't have dealt with otherwise had I been working. Can you look into a shared contract? I honestly missed teaching during the year I was out with my son....however with working full time I missed being with my own children. This was the PERFECT solution for us because I still get to be with my class sometimes, but i am home more than half of the time too...great for Dr. appt's, play dates and whatever!! It also cuts the cost of your benefits way down too, but you wouldn't be tied to your home everyday like you would be with daycare kids. Also take a good look at your salary full time....a lot of what's being deducted is probably taxes. My salary this year (at 50%) is still close to what I made full time because of the different tax bracket and additional expenses we are saving on having me home. I am also tutoring on the side (which may also be an option for you) to earn additional $$. I feel like I have the BEST of both world's and that $50+ fee I paid this year to once again renew my credential was actually well spent....I, like you, HATED the thought of putting all that hard work into my education and then not pursuing my dream of teaching. Good luck with a really tough decision.
(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #13
Carrie
Registered Users

I'm actually really struggling with this decision myself. It is so comforting to hear that there are other mamas in this boat. I know you will find a way to work the finances out. One thing that might help is to look at your net pay for last year. For example, I determined that over 1/3 of Dh's income went to alll the deductions in 2006. Looking at the net pay helped me figure out how much money we actually had to cover bills. I've also crunched our budget numbers too many times to count and figured out that we need x amount to cover all of our expenses and debts.

I'm teaching in a public school for the first time this year. Honestly I'm not in love with it. I have an MA in my subject, but none of my training is in education, and I need to go to school all day, every day this summer and 1-2 days a week after school next year to complete my certification. I feel lucky now because I don't think it is as difficult to maintain your credentials here (in NC) as the OP mentions. I carry benefits for me and the kids, but Dh is also a teacher so he is eligible for the same benefits in the event I were not working anymore.

Right now Dh and I are seriously considering a relocation and Dh has a couple of interviews at private schools in other states. One job is at a boarding school where we would live on campus rent-free, and the other is a (hopefully) higher paying job in a cheaper city (Dallas, TX) than we live in now (Raleigh).

When adjusted for daycare (2 toddlers), a higher tax bracket because of my income, and insurance (we save about $300/month), I take home somewhere in the neighborhood of $8,000 a year. We are hoping that one of these jobs will be able to make up the difference and that I can stay home for a while. We already live very frugally (lived on Dh's teacher salary alone for over a year) and I won't miss the money I take home (what little of it there is).

But what bothers me most about my job situation is that I don't know what I want to do with my life as far as career. Like the OP I always assumed I would be a teacher and be very career minded. I went to grad school full-time for severals years and I enjoyed it, but how will I make that relevant to life now? I'm considering homeschooling the boys until high school (Dh is on board) but what then? I have 2 degrees and am ABD in my subject (Latin) but I don't even love teaching it that much, at least at my current school. I'm worried that if we move I'll never get a chance to finish my PhD. I feel like quitting would just be a quick fix and I would have to go back and figure this all out later. On the other hand my littles are only going to be young once. O.K., I'm rambling, but you get the idea. You are not alone, mama!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #14
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

I taught high school English until my twins were born . . . now I tutor privately. I only do about 2-3 hours a week, but the pay makes up the living difference from DH's salary.

We live very frugally, but it is SOOOOO worth it!

Hugs, mama, and I hope you find a situation that will work for your family!

I do miss the teaching sometimes . . . especially in September!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:53 AM   #15
gabby's_mama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsmomkatie View Post

I remember feeling a sense of disorientation the very first September that I didn't go back to school. I started teaching right out of college - it was so weird not to be in school right after Labor Day!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:27 AM   #16
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Argh - I totally understand the frustration of teaching and living pretty far from where you work - I don't think non-teachers understand what "late" for a teacher means - any other job (well, almost any other) and being a minute or two late doesn't really matter. If a teacher is a minute or two late, then there are kids left along who really shouldn't be, or another teacher (or..shudder...administrator) has to cover for that time, which builds a bad rep. really fast. We CANNOT afford for me to stop working, fortunatly, we found a sitter directly across the street from school, so it's easy (you'd think) to drop dd off and run to school. Of course, that's assuming the traffic didn't decide to tur evil on the way in.

May I ask, what are you certified/licensed in? I teach art, so I understand about jobs being few and far between. If you did choose to stay at home, since you'd have to be taking classes to maintain your certificate anyway, what if you took classes to help get a broader/more mainstream certification? Like elem. ed or math or something? I know nothing about what you teach, so I don't know if there would be a natural fit for another subject area. Personally, I have thought about getting additional licenses to teach an intermediate english (4th, 5th) or history so I'd have more job security where I am and ne more hireable if I chose to leave. If you get a more mainstream cert, you might be able to work closer to home. Just my
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:42 AM   #17
j9_shooter9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsmomkatie View Post
I taught high school English until my twins were born . . . now I tutor privately. I only do about 2-3 hours a week, but the pay makes up the living difference from DH's salary.

We live very frugally, but it is SOOOOO worth it!

Hugs, mama, and I hope you find a situation that will work for your family!

I was going to suggest tutoring.

And yes, thought it's hard, living frugally is another answer. Though money might be tighter, you will be able to be home with your babe (which seems to be what you want). I'm not sure where you are, but my sister took care of kids (on top of her own). She was a single mom and my hero.

I hope you make the choice that's best for all.