Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Sparklebug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Foley bulb induction... have questions!

So my pregnancy has ended up super complicated as I've got cholestasis and a couple other minor issues happening and we are likely starting an induction tonight. I'm a little freaked because I desperately want a vbac, but I also desperately want a live baby and the risk of stillbirth greatly increases after 37/38 weeks so this is just where we find ourselves.

They're planning on placing a foley bulb to try and dilate my cervix and help get things started and I'm just curious as to any experiences anyone has had with one... did it work well? How bad did it hurt? (I was feeling all ready for my natural birth, but now I'm really nervous about this part being awful and painful I feel like such a weenie!). Any info would be so so so helpful

Advertisement

Sparklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Foley bulb induction... have questions!

Ok I don't want to be negative but OH MY GOSH IT'S SO PAINFUL. I had to have a foley bulb and I can't begin to describe the pain. Your contractions can't come and go in waves like normal; they contract against the bulb constantly. I was writhing in pain. I couldn't breathe. It was terrible. I had constant contractions at the top of my uterus in my ribs & after 45 minutes, I couldn't stand it anymore and I asked for an epi. I felt so defeated but my nurse told me I'd lasted longer than any other woman she's seen have a foley bulb. Sorry. Didn't want to sugarcoat it. It's REALLY bad. I can answer questions you may have about the procedure and all that. It was almost 4 months ago so still fresh on my mind.

ETA: It definitely worked. I had 4 doses of the cervical ripening pill they insert in the cervix with no luck but the bulb got me dilated and ready to go. I was able to deliver vaginally.

Last edited by hilaryisinked; 06-24-2010 at 08:58 AM.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
rohirette
Registered Users
seller

From everything I've read, it has a better chance of success than going staight to pit, or using cytotec.

As for the pain, no shame in an epidural in an induced labor. It is twice as painful as when it starts itself. I've had both and I know!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a foley with DS3- it does hurt- I would explain it like a sharp pain- like having a huge knife shoved in your cervix. I didn't have an epidural during the foley. I always said I would never have it again but I'm finding myself not dilating this time and since I'm a VBAC- this could be my only chance to avoid a section as my OB won't use pit to induce until she can break my water and insert a monitor. My current OB doesn't use a foley but if needed I'm going to see if she will. I don't care what I have to do to get out of a section- the pain during labor ends- the pain of abdominal surgery is far worse and lasts 100 times longer.
Good luck!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
court3189
Registered Users
seller

Foley bulb worked awesome for me! My first child I went over by I think 10 days. They tried to induce with cervidil/pitocin and it didn't work so they sent me home. The brought me back again two days later-started cervidil and pitocin. I made almost no progress over the next 48 hours. The resident was pushing for a c-section, but my Dr. wanted to give me every chance to deliver vag. I had two awesome labor and delivery nurses (one was an African midwife). My LD nurse suggested the folely. I went from barely anything to delivered in I think about 6-8 hours.

My second child was also induced. I requested a foley (in fact I wanted a folely outpatient but my OB would do it). I had the foley placed at around 8am and had delivered by 6pm.

ETA-I didn't find the foley all that painful, just uncomfortable. Neither time did I have any pain meds on board for it.

HTH!
Court

Mom to Mason (3/2003) and Maddie (11/2007) and Morgan (3/2011)

Last edited by court3189; 06-24-2010 at 09:23 AM.
court3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
StaceyS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm...guess I'm the odd ball then. I was dialted to a stretchy 5-6 already and couldnt get any cntx's going so my MW inserted a foley cath bulb. We weren;t even sure if it would stay in there since I was already so open, but it did. It didn't hurt at all, but also didn't produce even one single cntx.
I ended up going to the hospital for pit.
The fear with me was that the babe was still very high -3 station and being so dilated with no cntx's they were worried my water would break and we'd have a cord prolapse before i would get anywhere to be treated.
GL to you!
We love him, because he first loved us.<>< 1 John 4:19
StaceyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
Hmmm...guess I'm the odd ball then. I was dialted to a stretchy 5-6 already and couldnt get any cntx's going so my MW inserted a foley cath bulb. We weren;t even sure if it would stay in there since I was already so open, but it did. It didn't hurt at all, but also didn't produce even one single cntx.
I ended up going to the hospital for pit.
The fear with me was that the babe was still very high -3 station and being so dilated with no cntx's they were worried my water would break and we'd have a cord prolapse before i would get anywhere to be treated.
GL to you!
It didn't hurt because it didn't do anything- a foley usually falls out at 3-4 cm so you didn't have pain because it wasn't opening your cervix.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boysforme View Post
It didn't hurt because it didn't do anything- a foley usually falls out at 3-4 cm so you didn't have pain because it wasn't opening your cervix.
Yes I was going to say this
Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
StaceyS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

haha I see. Well, it did surprise us by staying in there a good 4 hours. We weren't real sure it would. My cervix turns to absolute mush at 36-38 weeks....guess due to the amounf of babies I have been blessed with.
We love him, because he first loved us.<>< 1 John 4:19
StaceyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
Chelyeah
Registered Users

I don't think a foley is painful, but it's not always so helpful either. I had a foley with DD2, and it wasn't painful at all for me. It is supposed to gradually open the cervix to about 3cm, but it's pretty useless after that. My water broke naturally at about 7 am, but nothing else was progressing. The foley did it's part, and then no more progress. I finally opted for an epidural at 11:30 pm not so much because of the pain as much as I was just tired. DD was finally born at 3:18 am.
Chelyeah is offline   Reply With Quote