Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Pictures of Homeschooling Area

I have become obsessed with dreaming about my homeschooling room/area when it comes time
I would LOVE some pictures of what you lovely moms have set up for your homeschooling area and organization systems!!
I hope to be moved out into a bigger home by the time I need a homeschooling room... I have so many ideas, but want more!
Bring on the pictures!!!

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pictures of Homeschooling Area

I did this a little while ago but I have changed the area a bit so I will take new pics in the morning to share. We converted half of our garage into an office/library/homeschooling room. It is really only an office in that the computer the kids use for homeschooling is in there LOL. It is definitely a library because I am obsessed with books (I have a book problem). We still have a lot of kids books in both the playroom and the boys' room.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is our "mommy school" room.

Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

sourpatch - i love all those posters and that map you have and such sweet little kid desks =) those desks remind me of elementary school lol I suppose thats the point!
Old 06-24-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
ktmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have since moved the table into the center of the room. It makes it easier for both girls to work at once.
Katie - DD#1 - 5/05 and DD#2 - 4/07
Search and Win with swagbucks
See my Shopping Reviews
ktmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not to hijack but does anyone have space in their basement?

We will be getting a shed next summer and then I would like to carve out a space in the basement for the homeschooling room. But DH is worried that if we finish it off down there and floods we will be out the expense of the room because you can't insure it. So I am looking for ideas for soft walls.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok pics of the homeschool/library area.

Like I said we finished out half of the garage to do this so it is long and narrow. The floors are still sloped, we didn't bother pouring concrete to level. The open doorway on the right in the pic is my laundry area right off my kitchen, the door on the left is the door into what is left of our garage. We had the floors painted and sealed but left them cement. If our washing machine should flood (which it has done before) the water will run right down and out hopefully not doing much damage. Dh got the minifridge for father's day to keep his sodas in. LOL

Big bookcase holds most of our paper curriculum materials and some extra games. Now that most of our curriculum is done online there isn't much here other than my dolls of course. I moved my old National Geographic collection onto the shelves as well, they make good reference material.

This holds mostly reference style books. Science, mythology, classic literature and some history. Though some of our Scifi/fantasy collection is there too. I tried to choose only books that were safe for the kids to read to put on those shelves so they could choose as they pleased. The top shelf is the full Time Life West collection that we picked up at a thrift shop.

Opposite wall. These are mostly my bookshelves. Please excuse the mess, I'm holding some books for a friend who just moved. I really need to take them back to her house because I hate the look of clutter. The bottom shelves of the one book case are the rest of my religion and mythology books as well as some more scifi/fantasy stuff but the rest is my collection of Anne Rice, Laurel K Hamilton, random vampire novels and my Manga which is all off limits to the kids till they are older. There is also the filing cabinet where I keep all of the kids important papers as well as their completed school work. I am sure at some point I will have to clean out the school work but for now I'm holding on to it all.

Computer area and dh's only book shelf, I'm mean and won't share my space with him. He doesn't organize well enough for me. Makes me crazy.

computer and desk set up. My dad bought this for Kearnan to do his school work on. It is technically our home computer but I really only keep our photos on it (more on the external hard drive attached to it). Both boys do educational websites as well as using Head of The Class for our curriculum this year. Kearnan kidnapped one of my dolls to sit with him while he works.

Tharen's desk area. My MIL gave us this desk, it has a blackboard top but needs repainted. Most of his paper curriculum and work book stuff is in it but he usually just draws right now. He's still little. The black strips are magnet strips from Ikea that I display our chore chart, Kearnan's social behavior story and some of Tharen's work on as well as the 8 principles of Kearnan's Taekwondo studio to help him remember how he should be acting. The door is metal so I have been able to display Tharen's art there as well which is fun. The drawers hold most of our extras like paper, science and math manipulatives and stickers. Most of our art supplies are in our kitchen.

Kearnan's desk has a sloped writing surface. I love this desk.

most of the kids books are here in the playroom which is where they prefer to read.

puzzles, pretend play, dress up, puppets and musical instruments are in the playroom closet.

and yet more art display space.

Cause Tharen wanted a pic of himself playing with the minifridge box.

Last edited by iris0110; 06-24-2010 at 10:37 AM.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
Five Green Beans
Registered Users
Formerly: mommalilac
seller

My Mood:

My camera is mia, but here are a few pics of homeschool related things not any that are super good (all taken from my 365 blog that I stopped doing around day 100

display area (aka fridge)

rocking her HS tshirt

some of our posters

baby invading big sissys desk (dont mind her mismatched outfit

abc wall

outside chalk board (we have a picnic bench to do activites/lessons out their too but no pics and camera is lost)

For added fun the Anti-Homeschool cat (she loves to lay on dd's desk )

Last edited by Five Green Beans; 06-24-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Five Green Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Five Green Beans--LOVE your outdoor chalkboard!!

We're a teeny tiny space We do paper-work at the kitchen table or on the kitchen floor and book-work in the living room...either on the couch, beanbag chairs, or the reading bench (a toy box with pillows on top so its comfy). We also have little piles of pillows stuck in nooks & crannies all around the house...I caught DD hiding behind the rocking chair in our bedroom a couple days ago with a pillow, "reading" to her doll
Reading bench & book area:

Main school area:

Craft/play area for the girls, but B thinks its her "school"

Last edited by smashncakes; 09-20-2010 at 08:29 AM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89 View Post
sourpatch - i love all those posters and that map you have and such sweet little kid desks =) those desks remind me of elementary school lol I suppose thats the point!
Thanks. With the exception of the big US map, all the other posters were 2x1 at the dollar store. There are none near me so I stocked up on a visit back home
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote