Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

When breatfeeding hurts... *HELP*

Well I must be doing this right because my newborn has been gaining weight rather than losing , but I'm starting to dread feeding time because my left nipple is SOO sore. Both of them have scabs on them and are sore, but the left one hurts almost too much to nurse on that side right now. I have a nipple shield that I have used twice when I felt I really needed too, and she did fine with it, but it really doesn't help the pain all that much. I don't understand why it is just the left nipple that is so painful . It almost seems like she is not latching as well over there... could it be because that nipple is slightly flatter? I mean the diffrence is barely noticeable, but could that be what's causing a weird latch? I have been using soothies brest pads and some nipple butter stuff, does anyone have any other good remidies for sore nipples?

Advertisement

#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: When breatfeeding hurts... *HELP*

Well first, it's only been a few days & some people have trouble w/soreness initially while working out the kinks... but let me think - how is the latch? Is baby's mouth wide? A lot of people make the mistake of baby just having the nipple part that sticks out in their mouth but they should have their mouth as much around the entire thing as possible - including the areola (lilly pad looking thing LOL).

This is what was causing my paiin & once we got a good latch down things were

Is there any chance you have an infection in the other nipple that is causing the most trouble?

My suggestion is call LLL or an LC & have them WATCH you BF. They can help so much better that way. If you want I will take a pic of DS next time he eats.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a similar problem the last 2 times I breastfed and it makes it really difficult to enjoy this time. I would definatly call a LC, my baby's dr has one in the office and she was awesome when I had a plugged duct. Definatly make sure you have a proper latch, that's usually the reason for pain. Sometimes its just your nipples getting used to all the action. I really liked the gel soothing pads you stick on, I think Gerber makes them?? They were awesome and felt so much better. There is also a lanolin stick you can use rather than the goop, it doesn't hurt to put on like the other stuff can. Good luck and keep up the good work mama!!
Old 05-30-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
FunnyMonkey
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd recommend a lc too! Mine referred me to this site to watch the "instructional latch on" video as a reminder how to get a good deep latch. www.breastfeeding.com

Maybe try using a different position each time on that breast, that sometimes helped w/soreness so the same points aren't being irritated again - like switch between football hold, side-lying, cradle etc.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hope you don't get strawberry milk :0. my best advice not already put down, is try just to let the baby suck when s/he is eating and not as a paci at least while you are healing I know that isn't the most popular advice from the LLL or even a LC sometimes but sometimes you gotta heal so you can keep going breastfeeding. Dr. Jack Newman has some videos that show drinking and good latch technique.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I had the same problem with mine! dd (only two weeks old) latches on to one side better than the other, I'm told that sometimes they just have preferences as to which side they like better lol. and I did have a lot of pain with the scabs and stuff, but I stuck to it and now only two weeks later it doesn't hurt at all, I found once the scabs healed and fell off that I felt way better! But I did suppliment a few feedings to help with weight gain and that felt really nice giving my boobs a break lol!
Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
jamreed02
Registered Users

call LC and get help now! don't let yourself be tortured any more.

in the meantime, try a different position to help baby get a better latch. Use the football hold, which is recommended for women with c-sections, but I used exclusively with my 2nd DD, because of her tongue-tie. She couldn't get her tongue out far enough to latch right with the cradle holds, but did perfectly fine with football.
jamreed02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Thank you for all the great advice and support mamas!

Trishalynn- I'm so glad to hear that 2 weeks was all it took you to feel better, that's really hopeful for me!

She has fed twice since I made this post and the first time she really opened wide (i didn't even know she could open that wide) and it felt sooo much better! But the second time it was back to the old painful latch. It's not like she's only sucking the nipple, just not latching quite wide enough I guess. I'm going to go read some about how to get her to open up wider, hopefully that will help.

Oh and my milk on that side is kind of pinkish tinted I noticed... is it still okay for her to eat?
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #9
Tummy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Reading your words brought back the tears of pain!

My last DD did not have a 'proper' latch until 7 weeks. It was so freaking bad I would cry every time I knew she needed to eat. I would sit there and stomp my foot as hard as I could on the floor and grit my teeth while moaning every time her mouth got near my breast (both).
It was pure hell, I honestly asked my DH to go and buy formula, he of course refused (biggest lactivist I ever met)... he told me to pump and he would feed her bottles.
I cried and cried for even asking him to get her formula as I so do not believe in it.. but the pain was just that bad! I too used the nipple shield, it did help when the pain was super bad. I even ran around with purple nipples while DD had a purple mouth for a week thinking maybe it was thrush.. nope, bad latch.

Now, as for the one breast hurting but not the other.. .have you tried feeding in a position that would mimmic the other side.. like holding the baby out to your side /... kwim?
If baby latches great on right in the tummy to tummy hold, then try to put babys belly in your armpit on the left side, so baby is in same posistion as if on the right breast.

It may be that your baby does NOT have a good latch on the one side but a great one on the other side.

I hope things work out soon for you. If you can find a IBCLC that would be your BEST BET!

hugs to you in this trying time mama!
Best of luck. Remember, you can do it, you are woman, let everyone hear you ROAAAARRRR!!

Last edited by Tummy; 05-30-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:21 PM   #10
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

THanks those are some great suggestions! I just tried the football hold for the first time and it was not so bad. The worst part is when she first latches on, it's so tender that I can barely stand it. I actually yelled and pulled her off once and I felt pretty bad about it. I have also just figured out that sandwhiching my nipple between my fingers helps her latch on better, so that is helping.

One more problem I am having now though, she doesn't seem to want to nurse for very long any more. Like lest than 5 min at a time.... is this normal? It's so frustrating because I just want to get the feeding over with but she seems to want to feed every few min. for 5 min at a time rather than all at once!
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!