Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:42 AM   #1
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Shocked that the county did this

Our county here has a free carseat program for low income families. Well my neighbor has a little girl who just turned 3, she's barely 36" tall and is only 38 lbs and the COUNTY, so-called certified carseat techs, have given her a BACKLESS booster?! I was completely shocked! Still am shocked. The woman has no clue and just assumes this is safe. I saw the last carseat she had from the county and the thing had to have been over 10 years old. It was OLD. I am just shocked that they can do that. I didn't think it was safe to put a 3 year old, who can't sit still btw, in a backless booster seat. Does this sound right to you?

Advertisement

MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Shocked that the county did this

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaZ View Post
Our county here has a free carseat program for low income families. Well my neighbor has a little girl who just turned 3, she's barely 36" tall and is only 38 lbs and the COUNTY, so-called certified carseat techs, have given her a BACKLESS booster?! I was completely shocked! Still am shocked. The woman has no clue and just assumes this is safe. I saw the last carseat she had from the county and the thing had to have been over 10 years old. It was OLD. I am just shocked that they can do that. I didn't think it was safe to put a 3 year old, who can't sit still btw, in a backless booster seat. Does this sound right to you?
They did the same thing here in OH for us b/c they said it was 40 lbs & 40 in so he was for the plain ol booster. So I dunno. He was exactly 3 at the time. Since then we saved & bought a booster w/a back, although it was a waste b/c I found out you can't use the 5 pt harness after 40 lbs on the one we bought.

Anyway, I know OH says 40 & 40 but they should have an age IMO, but I don't know about NJ. My 3 yo lacks the discipline to sit correctly or not undo his seatbelt when he thinks it's time to get out (even though sometimes we're just stopped & not done driving).

Poooo... Maybe that's what I get for getting a free carseat anyway, but at the time we didn't have the $ to get another one & had to worry about one for each boy.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
stephlynnette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought they had to be 40", 40 lbs, and at least 4 before using a backless booster? We *just* started using one for Andy; he's four and a half, and just over the height and weight recommendations. 3 YO is DEFINITELY too young for one, IMO.

Link to the NHTSA table showing carseat types per age/weight...

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...ewName=Article

Last edited by stephlynnette; 02-21-2007 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Add Link
stephlynnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think, unfortunately, in the US, the lower limit on a booster is 30lbs, so legally she can be in it. Safety-wise, NUH-UH!! My 22month old is in a Marathon (FF now cause he's HUGE), but my almost-7yo is still in a Graco Platinum Cargo with the harness straps (it goes to 48lbs in Canada); he's only about 43/44, and he's really little, so he'll be in it for awhile.

My almost-8yo is it an Evenflo Everest (??) high-back booster and he'll be in it until he's probably 9 or 10. We tease him that he'll be taking his road test in a booster! He's 49lbs and puny. Legally, we could just have him in a SEATBELT in May!!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:14 AM   #5
Mel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You have to be 4 years old to use a backless booster. Here's one...
http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/pro...ID=1&subCatID=

It's what Noah has. But he's 8. There is no way I would put Jonah in one. Not only because it's not safe but because he won't fit properly and he'd wiggle out of that thing in less than a minute. I'd seriously call someone on her behalf. Even if it is a free program- they need to really be responsible and educate people!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
Mommy2Triplets
Banned

Low income or not, they should treat the children better then that. Those ten year old carseats are illegal here and should be trashed. What if they had been is an accident. They need to hire a couple Mama's to do the job. And get donations from local companys of new carseats and boosters, not used!
Mommy2Triplets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:39 AM   #7
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

The Graco backless booster requires 40 lbs, but I'm pretty sure that the Cosco backless booster is only 30 lbs and a few bucks cheaper. I'm not saying that a 3 year old should be in it, or a 30 lber, just that weight wise it may be permitted. My 34 lb 5 year old is in a 5 pt harness in my car still, and isn't mature enough to be in a booster even if he weighed enough.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:46 AM   #8
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's what I thought. I'm trying to convince another person that she should NOT be putting her 27 lb 3 year old in a backless booster like the Graco. It seems everyone wants convenience over safety anymore.
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
Cryssie
Registered Users

My Mood:

We waited until our guy was 4. He is now 6. I have a converter that will go up to 40 lbs. AFter that we'll have to find another way.
Cryssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

My first DC got a free carseat, and it was a cheap one. I think it was an evenflo, (not saying all evenflo's are bad, but this was the bottom of the line evenflo.) I had never even seen them retailed anywhere. I really didnt know any better. I would love a free carseat as much as anyone else, but they are just not worth it. Take up a collection $ if you can and buy a better one.