Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Unimportant vocab question :)

yes, they count. Animal noises count too.

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #12
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Drake will say "backpack" (like from Dora ) and it's so cute because he gets excited...but, anyway..it doesn't come out "back pack" it's "baa-puh". He says A LOT of words, but most of them come out like "baa-puh" is for backpack. They're not complete or obvious to an "outsider", but they're similar, they're purposeful, and I understand him
Old 02-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #13
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls~Kain~Drake View Post
Drake will say "backpack" (like from Dora ) and it's so cute because he gets excited...but, anyway..it doesn't come out "back pack" it's "baa-puh". He says A LOT of words, but most of them come out like "baa-puh" is for backpack. They're not complete or obvious to an "outsider", but they're similar, they're purposeful, and I understand him
That just brought back sweet memories of DD singing "pack pack, pack pack" Thanks!
Old 02-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #14
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

No problem! Don't you love it? Last year at this time, my oldest son was just barely 2yo...and we'd sit and watch Dora and it was TOO sweet. He said "pack pack" too...and he'd try to say "Lo Hicimos" and sing the song...too sweet Glad I could bring back memories!!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:18 PM   #15
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dd will be 17 months on the 26th of this month. I honestly don't think that she hardly says anything. I hear dada and ily(lilly-our dog) and that is it. She says dada even when he isn't around so she doesn't know which of us is dada. Everything is babble and her own "language". She does understand the sign for eat though and has used it once or twice.
Like you i am not worried but more wondering.
Dd has always been a month behind for everything so this will probably be the same. Isn't it crazy how smart they are at this age. They may not be able to talk but it is totally obvious that their little brains are learning super fast. I think one day after all this non-talking she is just going to look at me and start saying complete sentences because she has been so busy listening instead of talking.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #16
carleyc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD was 18 month when her ped refered us to a speech therapist. The ST told us a word at that age is anything that they associate with the meaning. Animal sounds count as words. They said as long as the primary care giver can understand it, it counts. IMO everything you listed counts.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:32 AM   #17
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks everybody for the responses I appreciate them all..and I'm glad to have an answer Again, not that I was worried (he's got lots of words), just really curious.

It is crazy how smart they are. Drake (18m) seems to be learning..exponentially right now. I made a comment to dh last night that it almost seems like he's catching up to big brother (3yo), and fast! There are probably....5 words that he said yesterday that I had no idea he knew. Notebook, drink, cheese, Kain, and poop! I've been trying to write down all of his words and he's got somewhere between 45 & 50. He just baffles me every day. He seems like so much of a toddler now instead of my baby. We were watching Toy Story 2 yesterday and I started humming along to a song (while holding Drake). Then I started singing the words and Drake picked his head up off my chest, scrunched his face up, and told me to shut up!!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:39 AM   #18
dingledine
Registered Users

Words that people close to them can understand. (Parents and siblings) Mine is 21mo. and has now about a 100-200 word vocab, which mostly can be only understood by us.
dingledine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #19
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's so exciting (to me), for him to be learning so many new words and just...ya know, I love to see him learning....but when he starts talking ALL THE TIME, I know I won't love it so much :P My 3yo narrates EVERYTHING.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #20
Ashling
Registered Users
Formerly: mamastone
seller

My Mood:

y word they have for something counts. My cousin use to call lights "ya-ya." And it can be hard for outsiders to pick up on their words... outsiders are used to grownup words/their child's words. You are used to your kiddo's.

My 2.5 year old has alot of words, but most people we know don't understand what he si saying. He'll walk into a seemingly empty store and ask "Is eh-ehbody ere?" which is of course "is anybody here?" but most people are just like... ???
My friend's 3 year old asked me if my son likes things that fly the other day, and I had no clue what he was asking me. Once his mom told me, I was like OH! I should have known that... once she pointed it out I realized it made sense, my ear just wasn't trained to it.

omg long-winded!