Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #21
moparop
Registered Users

Re: Unimportant vocab question :)

At 2, 50% of what your child says should be intelligible to a stranger. At 3, it should be closer to 75%.

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #22
kangamom
Registered Users
seller

So... should *I* be worried that my ds doesn't seem to make any words or even really attempt to? He does do a lot of signs, does that count?
kangamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #23
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamom View Post
So... should *I* be worried that my ds doesn't seem to make any words or even really attempt to? He does do a lot of signs, does that count?
No, not at all and especially if you've had his hearing checked. You also have to take into consideration that he's a twin and twins often have delayed speech development. Mine are identical twin boys and they both couldn't be understood even at 5yrs old by most strangers. Anyone who knew them could understand 75% of it but there was still stuff we didn't understand. Speech Therapy really helped, they both graduated from ST in 2nd grade!

OP- I've been on both ends of the spectrum, my now 3yo DS hardly talked at all and then all of a sudden he started talking like crazy after he turned 2. He understood what we were saying, he just didn't talk much. My 15mo DS says a LOT of words, some I don't understand and some I do. Probably 50/50 range. He puts words together and can attempts to say almost everything you ask him to. He is also learning new words every single day and its just amazing! My twins and 3yo did NOT do this so its totally new! My now almost 5yo was really average in his growth which was comfortable, especially since I was still struggling with the twins speech. Every child is different and boys also tend to lag behind in the speech dept.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #24
kangamom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
No, not at all and especially if you've had his hearing checked. You also have to take into consideration that he's a twin and twins often have delayed speech development.
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit

His twin sister is VERY verbal and has a huge vocabulary. This morning I couldn't find my glasses and in desperation, i asked her where they were. She looked at me for a second, got this thinking look on her face, then spun around and ran into my bedroom. Then she climbed on my bed, reached under my pillow and says, "Here ya go!" and gave me the glasses.

She seems more advanced than her sisters were at this age. I wonder if its not also a gender thing? I hear a lot more about little boys with speech delays than I do girls. I know when I ask dd to get me a diaper, she runs and gets one and says "dap" as she hands it. When I ask ds, he gives me a blank stare and turns off/on the tv. Or sometimes he will bring me a LOT of diapers.
kangamom is offline   Reply With Quote