Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #21
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: What is expected of your 7 year old?

OP, sounds very reasonable! With my daughter I remind her that doing things like using her Nintendo DS are a privilege, and do not need to be extended to her if she doesn't help out with keeping her room picked up, etc. She's also a bit of a whiner (everything seems to be met with an "Ugh!" or "harumph" sound when I ask her to do something), but I am hoping she'll grow out of that????

Advertisement

musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #22
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: **New question**What is expected of your 7 year old?

Thanks for your answers!!! I think i am going to make a list of what she needs to do. I also asked a new question
Old 06-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #23
Mom2lucy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yes, unless its super long or curly and hard to get all the shampoo/conditioner in and out.
Mom2lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #24
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

Re: the new question, yes, my daughter takes a bath and washes her hair by herself. It's shoulder length and very straight, so it's pretty easy for her.
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #25
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Um, that's not mean at all! I expect a lot out of my kids because I know they are capable. We are all part of this family, and everyone contributes the best they can. The expectations for our kids are:

5 year old-
straighten bed
put laundry in hamper to be washed, and put folded laundry away in her dresser (she is currently folding with me, so I expect her to be able to fold her own laundry soon as well)
put her plate/utensils/cup in the sink
get her own water/milk/snacks (she asks first, and I let her know what is available, but generally the stuff I keep I'm fine with her having at any time, since it's all healthy)
put her shoes/toys/books away immediately, and not leave them on the floor
vacuum her room
dust her room
clean her bathroom-wipe counters and sink, wipe toilet seat, spray the bath tub with vinegar solution
feed the pets (we have two dogs, a cat and two rats)
get herself dressed
wipes down the table
help in the kitchen-washing dishes, slicing veggies, she can cook scrambled eggs, pasta, and rice on her own. Pretty much the only thing I haven't let her do yet is handle raw meat/poultry

she will also help me with miscellaneous chores as needed

2 year old dd-
get herself dressed
put her laundry in the hamper
put her plate/cup/utensils on the counter
put her toys and shoes away
starting to put her laundry away in the dresser, still needs supervision for this
feed the pets with help
wipes down the counter/table with help
wash plastic dishes in the sink
make salad-tear lettuce, dump cherry tomatoes, ect.
buckle her own carseat (I do check to make sure it's all right)

Honestly, my kids LIKE having responsibility! They ask me how they can help, and I'm not afraid to teach them...more work in the beginning, but eventually it will pay off!
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #26
nkdmkmom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyLD View Post
New question... Does your 7 yr take a shower by themselves? Wash their own hair and stuff? My MOTHER says i still need to be washing her hair?

My Parents think that I am "too hard" on my DD. All i expect her to do is keep her room clean, Take her plate out to the kitchen and clear it if there is stuff left, clean up her own trash, and be polite/not whine/argue ect.

Is that really too much to ask? Should i not be asking her to clean anything? I swear i remember cleaning the whole house when i was 7.

Also, Can you give me some hints of how to have her whine/argue less?
If you are too hard on your 7yo, I am waaaay too hard on my 4yo! He does his own bath (under my supervision), has to set the table for dinner, clear his own dishes/trash from the table, clean his room, and the respect things you listed, too...wonder what your folks would think of me?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #27
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

I think that it is not being hard on them... it is helping them learn the importance and good feelings that come from making a contribution to your family. And if you started chores much after 7, it would probably come as a shock rather than an expectation that was present all along.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #28
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyLD View Post
New question... Does your 7 yr take a shower by themselves? Wash their own hair and stuff? My MOTHER says i still need to be washing her hair?

My Parents think that I am "too hard" on my DD. All i expect her to do is keep her room clean, Take her plate out to the kitchen and clear it if there is stuff left, clean up her own trash, and be polite/not whine/argue ect.

Is that really too much to ask? Should i not be asking her to clean anything? I swear i remember cleaning the whole house when i was 7.

Also, Can you give me some hints of how to have her whine/argue less?
Mine can't wash her own hair. She could help buss dishes but we don't make a big deal of that. She is whiny at times but I just tell her to stop and I won't talk to her when she is whining. I tell the 3 year old the same thing. Mine can't keep her room clean. She plays with too many things at once and then can't figure out how to organize it. So, I help.

I did not have any chores when I was 7 other than maybe keeping my room clean. But I did not have as many toys as my kids have so it was not such a big deal. My room was bigger, too. I did not wash my own hair at 7. I remember still taking baths and mom helping me with my hair a few times a week.

I did not have chores until I was more like in 5th grade. I remember because we moved a new house that year.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #29
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Yes. My 7 year old showers by himself. He won't even get undressed if I'm in there. He has short hair though, so I'm not too worried about him not washing it well. I would say with my girls I quit washing their hair around 7 when they didn't want me in there anymore.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #30
chanee
Registered Users

My Mood:

such cruel and unusual punishment!!!! lol, no really, it sounds like youre teaching her to be a functional member of the household. my dss has been making his bed, taking the trash out, unloading/loading the dishwasher, and helping keep the bathroom tidy. and he is also supposed to make sure he brings his laundry to the wash room and put his clothes away.
and he has been making his own lunch for school the next day since second grade.
all of these things are his responsibility. and he is also responsible for anything i ask for help with. ive never asked him to do anything on his own that he wasnt capable of.
but, unless she has a handicap, 7 is more than old enough to do her part.
and the only thing i can think to comment on from the few things you listed, is sometimes you have to check their hair (depending on how much hair they have) and make sure they are getting all the shampoo out. w my dss i would check his hair and realize he had not been using conditioner all week and his hair was like straw. and a friend of mines little girl had really long hair and it started to look greazy,but the mom knew she was washing her hair.. turned out she wasnt rinsing well enough. lol.
chanee is offline   Reply With Quote