Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
WhiteRockMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Should I have NOT eaten that??

I am STARVING in the evenings... I cant seem to stop eating.

I went to the deli a couple days ago to get some lunch meats and picked up some liver sausage (yes, I know it sounds gross but its very tasty. At least I like it ). I thought it would be a great source of iron and a (semi) nutritious snack with crackers. I just googled to see if there were any possible problems other than listeria if eaten during pregnancy.

Apparently liver contains a high level of Vitamin A which can cause problems in unborn babies... of course I read this AS I AM EATING IT!

So, was I super bad?? I'm fairly confident that everything will be ok, I'm just wondering if I should totally avoid it going forward. I only ate about a couple tablespoons and am not currently taking a pre-natal multivitamin.

I doubt I am getting a huge amount of vitamin A regularly but now I'm not sure. If it was just a chance of listeria I wouldnt care (I still eat lunch meat and hot dogs).

What would you do?

Advertisement

WhiteRockMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
luvmyfam
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Should I have NOT eaten that??

Geesh, there is warnings about everything!!!! I am not sure. How much Vit A would you have to get to have problems, thats probably what i would find out. You'd think it'd have to be a lot. Sorry mama, i know it stinks when you think you are doing something good and then find out you shouldnt. Oh and i dont worry about the listeria thing either. I am gluten intol and my choices are so limited, i eat hot dogs ands deli meat too.

I have been married to my marine for 10 wonderful years and spend my time knitting and happily homeschooling our 9 yo girl, 6 yo boy, 18 month old girl and our newest addition arrived 30 days early on Sept 23 at 1:05 pm weighing 5 lbs 11oz.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
Hunny Bunny Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: KalleS
seller
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree with Heidi....there are warnings about everything! I am certain you are just fine. I cannot imagine you could attain toxic levels of vitamin A from a whole food source. I am thinking the vitamin A danger would most likely be associated with over intake from supplements combined with that which you consume as part of your daily diet. I feel that cravings are usually your bodies way of getting the things it needs, so while liver might contain a lot of vitamin A, it is also rich in iron which is essential to your pregnant body. Maybe your iron stores are low. Anemia is very common during pregnancy, especially if you aren't currently taking a prenatal vitamin :-)
Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most of those warnings are for eating something constantly, like it's your meal most of the time...I wouldn't stress. I'm sure it would have been one of those big warnings if it's likely to overdose on vitamin A during pregnancy...IMHO ...You're probably fine don't stress too much...
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:

If you want it, eat it. Everything in moderation momma
Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

I agree with whats already been said. Food sources are easier for your body to deal with too. The body has the ability to sort and eliminate the vitamins it has enough of, taking supplements is a different story, some vitamins are easier discarded than others. I would think the small amount you ate isn't going to hurt anything. Usually vitamin toxicity unless you consumed a whole lot, is something more likely to happen over time. You can always call your doctor if your really concerned. It's nice to have reassurance from them sometimes. I especially wouldn't worry if you aren't already taking a multi/prenatal, probably makes it even less likely to consume too much A when your not regularly getting much of it.
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
dirtmagnets
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd go ahead and eat it. I can't imagine you'd possibly eat enough to overdose on Vitamin A, especially without taking vitamins on top of it, and I don't imagine it would hurt the baby at this point, anyway - our NICU babies who are born at the age we're all at now are given a 12 dose course of fairly high dose Vit. A because it's been shown to increase survival rates and decrease oxygen needs.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
WhiteRockMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone. Thats what I was thinking too... since I'm not taking a multi vit it probably wont be a problem.

My Dr isnt very strict on what not to eat during pregnancy. She always says "if its fine for you its fine for baby"

WhiteRockMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
Esthersmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have ate pate is my pregnancies... It has liver in and is technically a big pregnancy no no for that reason, I think anything in moderation is good!
Rosie, English born and bred, Wife to Josh, Mama to her all American daughters, the delightful little lady Esther Rose (April 06) , Sweet cuddly monkey Rachel (August 08) and sweet little Joel Athanasius (Nov 2010)
Esthersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Moderation.

Oh, and last night, I had a dream I ate a ton of sushi... and that I didn't care if I wasn't supposed to.. LOL. Sushi has been sounding really good lately!

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote