Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
Shawna_L
Banned

Re: WIC: Ah yes, yet another non-vax Q & A, lol

Vaxing is NOT required to participate in WIC. However, prepare to be harassed about it. They track vaccination rates and it makes their office look better to have all participating children vaccinated. Print off the info from their website and bring it with you in case they argue. At our local WIC office the only blood test offered is one to check iron, although I've heard from other social workers there has been discussion of starting to offer lead screenings too. Good luck.

Advertisement

Shawna_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They never asked to see Jack's record. They asked if he was up to date and I said "No." Then they asked why and I said "We aren't doing them." And they never said anything else.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #13
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our lead screening was done in our Peds office at 12mos for all 3 kids & never by WIC.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #14
schmitz2308
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the gret thread!! I was wondering this too! We don'y qualify for WIC right now, but after next DC I am going to quit work and will probably qualify.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:56 PM   #15
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

I no longer Vax & use WIC, never even been asked about it
Old 02-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #16
ambered
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for all the good info! I did print the page, we go to WIC on a military base, and they do ask for all vax records. DS is just now 6 months so this is the first time they've requested it, and I'm prepared to fight if need be. About the blood test, it's not a lead screen, it's for iron, hemoglobin/hematocrit. They don't do it AT WIC, they ask for a form from the ped. My ds was born at home with a naturopath, and the last time he saw her was at 4 weeks, no need since. She doesn't do bloodwork & I don't see the point in the test, I have a healthy diet so I don't doubt ds's levels are fine. They don't ask for it till 1 year, but I have a feeling at that point if I refuse we will lose WIC benefits. I emailed them anonamously to ask, but got no response. Maybe I'll ask at next month's appointment, but I'm sure I'll get the standard "you just have to" answer. -Amber
ambered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #17
my2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

Im on WIC and they never drew my boys blood. They did however have it done from their pediatrician ( through a finger prick ) and then I brought the results to WIC. If its only a finger prick, I dont see the worry about it, I would just rather get it done in a cleaner enviornment like the PEDs office rather than in a WIC office. I do also bring their shots records and they never ask to see them.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #18
carleyc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids have been on WIC for 2 years and they've never asked me for an immunization record I just had to bring some sort of ID when I added them and I used the crib card from the hospital.

ETA: we are military too. On the figer prick they have walk in hours at the base hospital (at least that's how it works here) You just take your kids straight to the lab at the hospital they do the finger prick and you are on your way. DS is 3 months so he's never had to do it, but DD doesn't mind at all. We also have to swing by the peds office for a weight and height, but that's it. They never actually see the ped for WIC stuff just the lab tech and the nurse to weigh them. ALso my DD is lactose intollerant and WIC gives her lactaid. My DS has a dairy intollerance and is exlusively BF'd at my last appt they asked why I wasn't driking milk and they were VERY supportive about it. They told me some other ways to get calcium etc and left the milk on my vouchers.

Last edited by carleyc; 02-21-2007 at 05:56 PM.
carleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:16 PM   #19
Nique
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my WIC appt today and they asked about the shot records and I just told her we don't vax and that was the end of it. I had a note from the doc specifically to give the girls soy milk and they shot that down (of course) and now I have to decide to go with one of their alternatives (none of which sounded good to the doctor in the first place) or just go off WIC. I think we are going off it.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #20
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

I use WIC for the fosterbabies, we don't qualify, but the babies do, I have never had to show a shot record for them. They ask if they see a doc, I say yes, that is the end of it-maybe b/c they are a fosterchild they know the social workers make sure that the shots are up to date?