Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2006, 07:16 PM   #21
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ped appt left me in tears..hmph

sleep meds for an infant.... WHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!? That doc is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Advertisement

ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:25 PM   #22
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewebabymama
sleep meds for an infant.... WHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!? That doc is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
Awesome!

Have you thought about visiting a homeopathic doc???

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #23
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Sorry you had to go through that! What a quack- he needs to retire! That must have been terrible...
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:35 PM   #24
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

What a tool, don't let his old fashioned weirdo rant get you down. Switch doctors to one who respects your motherly instincts.

toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #25
hockeymom6201
Registered Users
seller

*sigh* all to familiar ... I thought the peds I went to treated me like S#!t because I was a young parent .. we went to some of the best in our area ... in my experence peds think every baby is the same and if there is one that if different then the parents are doing somthing wrong !!! Go to a large family practice .. find a doc you like and stick with them !!! That was the perfect answer to our problems !! and sooo much more convient our whole fam goes to the same doc !!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #26
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you can do what i have thought of doing.....write a serious letter of complaint, and tell him what you think. then GO FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Geez, what a quack. My dd at 9 months was EXHAUSTING, nursing every hour all night long
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #27
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hugs to you, and I agree--find a more supportive doctor! About your statement that the opening on his penis seems small and low, I totally do not want to get you concerned, but you may want to have him checked out by another doctor or even a pediatric urologist. It's possible he could have a common birth defect called hypospadias. (about 1 in 200-400 boys has it, depending on which statistics you read) My 3 year old son has mild hypospadias, and the opening of the urethra is not right on the tip of his penis but a bit underneath. His is a mild case (some boys have the opening along the underside of the shaft or even at the base of the penis) and he functions fine. However, sometimes boys who have hypospadias also can have difficulties with their urethra, the tube which carries the urine, being very thin or sometimes narrowing in spots which makes urination difficult. You would think that all doctors would notice this in baby boys at birth or soon after, but believe it or not, it is sometimes missed for months or even years in very mild cases.
Again, I hate to get you concerned because obviously each boy's anatomy is different and so that's very likely just how he is. But if you notice a little dimple where his hole "should be" but then the actual hole is lower than this, definitely see a pediatric urologist because of the possibility of related problems with the urethra.
Kristin
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #28
Catrinau
Registered Users
seller

I'd definitely look for a new doctor!

Mom to 3 rough and tumble boys. Wife to one totally awesome man!

My Crafting Blog!
Catrinau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:42 PM   #29
FunnyMonkey
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandle
Get a new doctor. Any "doctor" who would prescribe an unneccessary medication in order to get your little one to sleep is dangerous imo.
Totally agree with Rachel! He's got his mind made up about BOTH of you - that is really dangerous to your dc current situation (low urine, possible reflux) and anything that might arise in the future. Sounds like he has something against you too - personally I think that is just dangerous & you need to go so far as the leave that practice entirely, any other docs in that practice will have their opinions contaminated by his.

I don't mean to sound paranoid, but I did medical billing for a while & couldn't believe the things some docs had written in peoples charts. I remember seeing charts where patients were judged as slovenly, lazy, wanting attention, their pain or complaints weren't taken seriously. Later they would see a different doc who could be objective & would finally get diagnosed with legitimate conditions! So for anyone reading this, if you have a feeling the md is prejudiced against you for any reason, find someone new asap, your care depends on it!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 06:15 AM   #30
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you everyone for your support...I DO want to get a new doc...I'd really love a homeopathic doc, but I don't know of any in this area..and even mil said she didn't know of any other pediatricians...but I'll go to a different city for a new ped...I do NOT want to drug him to sleep! And any other concern I've ever brought up with either of my kids just gets brushed off without hardly even thinking twice. As a tiny infant, I noticed something wrong with Drake's eye...I tried to explain it to the ped...I even drew a picture...he couldn't see anything, so of course, nothing was there...well, low & behold - we go see an opthamologist every 6mo to make sure his vision isn't being obstructed by this thing in his eye.

Anyway...I do feel like they all have an opinion of us before we even get a chance to talk to him. He obviously didn't listen to a single word I said yesterday....because, I might say, "Drake's wearing a blue shirt, and I really don't think he likes blue." "Well then, you should really avoid wearing red because babies tend to not like that." Excuse me? That's not what I said. Of course that's just an example and not a real conversation, but you know what I'm saying. I tell him that Drake wakes up and will fall asleep as soon as he hits my shoulder and he turns around and says that Drake's figured out that the middle of the night is the best time to play? Huh? Ugh!

I took Drake to the ped for his 6 mo appt...and I mentioned that Drake was tilting his head a lot...to me, it looked like a tick or something....and without any examination - the ped (a different one but in the same practice) - he concluded that it was inner ear dysfunction..because of the leaning, the tugging at his ears, the crying/discomfort that was associated with the leaning...ok...2 things - I NEVER mentioned him tugging at his ears...and he NEVER cried with the tilting. He pulled those 2 things out of his butt. THEY DO NOT LISTEN!!

My SIL had something wrong with her feet at birth and required surgery and braces for a long time...MIL says that Kain's feet look just like hers...so I brought it up to the ped and he says it's normal and "great for athletes!" Well, whatever..he said it'd get better with age - and it appears to be worsening to me.

I just want to scream. I'll be finding a new ped this week or next. If I have to try an hour away, so be it.

Thank you everyone.