Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Toy suggestions

What toys would you suggest for a baby that needs encouragement to crawl? At our EFCE class last night someone mentioned a toy that is suppose to help w/crawling but didn't know what brand/kind it was. I'm sure there are a bunch of things out there but I thought I'd ask the DS mamas.

I'm not worried about DD not crawling yet - probably would say slightly concerned but it's more b/c of her behavior. She fusses when she can't reach or get at a toy but won't try very hard to get at it either. I don't want to push her into something she's not ready for b/c I know that can actually backfire. She likes to get the toy and then roll onto her back and play with it holding it up in front of her. Big toys she won't play with too much b/c she can't hold on to them in the air. She likes balls but they don't seem to motivate her to follow after or try to get them and I do give her time w/out me right in her play area.

Advertisement

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toy suggestions

When my DD was a baby her favorite toy to encourage crawling was this cheesy cheap little blowup-rolly thing. Not much help, I know, but it was easily found at stores like Walmart or Target. It was a large cylinder that you blow up and has a bell inside to make noise, and I think hers had a viewing window to see the pictures inside. Wish I could help more, but it was a few years ago. DS needed no encouragement besides my cell phone on the floor in front of him!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL- DD loves my cell phone too but it doesn't encourage her to move on the floor.

Hmm, I guess I'll just have to try a variety of things.

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
ipumpkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a fosterbaby who was a tad bit delayed. He had a physical therapist who was amazing ! One of the things she told me to do with him was to hold him up in the crawl position. Just keep putting her hands and knees back under her. If she'll cooperate by staying like that a bit, just rock her forward and backward.

Maybe you could try one of those bumble balls? Or a weasel ball?

Honestly though, do you really want her to start crawling!? One thing I've learned is not to rush the crawling or the talking! You're just opening up a can of worms.
ipumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
sativa
Registered Users

I have no help as my son 7 months 6 days has just started to crawl backwards away from toys, he can not figure out how to go forward.
sativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son loved the computer keyboard so I cut the cord off of an old one and put it on the floor. He would crawl over and bang on it.