Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
tbowers8403
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Changing Station - What to stock?

Well girls we are getting close to 'popping' time and I know some of probally already have a nursery ready - but I'm getting close to moving into my new place and I've been obsessing in my head of my changing table station! I have an idea what I want - but what all do you or should you have stocked in your station? Besides diapers and wipes!

I'm clueless besides those two essentials - I never really had to change a baby much. Do you need powder and lotion?

Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Changing Station - What to stock?

I don't think "they" reccomend use of powder any more. Something about the baby inhaling it or something. But I keep diapers, wipes, rash/barrier cream, lotion all handy. I think you can get a liquid or gel powder now also if you like that sorta thing. Sometimes a small sealed container of cornstarch.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
RobynJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I remember them saying no powder when ds was born too. It can get in their lungs.

Diapers, wipes, (pins if using prefolds), diaper cream (cd friendly if cd'ing), and I always kept the baby brush and the nail clippers there so I didn't lose them.

Oh and lotion (and suncreen when older)- DS had some eczema....

If you are like me I thought I had it all perfect and then changed everything around once the baby got here. I say keep it simple or it can get out of hand fast.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh we had nail clippers/ comb brush there too, and q tips I was thinking sunscreen/ citronella spray but not till later also. I also had some baby oil cus DS had craddle cap pretty bad for a while also.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

A little bottle of olive oil is a great thing to have at your changing station for those first few meconium poops. If you rub a little on their bottom at every change, the sticky-tar poop of the first couple days wipes off really easily.

Other than diapers and wipes, I keep a small basket with pins, a snappi, baby nail clippers (so I always know where they are, no other reason for keeping them there) and a tube of rash cream. I don't use a wipe warmer or wipes solution, so I keep a little spray bottle of water in case I need it to wet a wipe.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
LisaAnne
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree that you really don't need a lot. Dipes, wipes, diaper cream (I don't remember if you're using cloth, but I really like the California Baby Calming Diaper Rash Cream if you are. Its more readily available than some others, even Target has it.). I usually have disposable wipes around, but don't use them that often. Instead, I just wet some cloth wipes down in the morning and put them in an old wipe container so they are ready when needed.

The only other thing I would recommend is either an extra changing pad cover, or a few waterproof lap pads to set under baby when changing messy diapers. This way if you get poo on your changing pad cover (or lap pad) you can toss it in the wash and still have something to change baby on until you get to it!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lisa is right, extra change pads are a definate must!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
tbowers8403
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

THanks for the tips ladies! I'll make sure to get some extra changing pad - or atleast some older hand towels to slap up there if I think its going to be a messy one.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I actually am not doing a nursery or sleeping area (other than a bassinet by our bed just in case!)

All my planning is going into the changing area! I'm going tonight to buy paint to dress up some oddball pieces of furniture I bought. Can't wait to get it finished! I'm gutting our master bedroom closet just for a chnging area

As far as stocking it, besides diapers and wipes, I'll have pretty much the whole Burts Bees line. I also will have my little first aid/baby wellness tote. That's about it. I've learned it doesn't take a lot at all. My changing area will also house all the woolies,caps and clothing.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
PureBliss
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh goodness, I have not done anything, other than buy some more fitted diapers and wool, for this baby.
I have not thought about a room, a theme, or anything! We are re doing our upstairs in our house, and this baby won't even have a room, we still co sleep with both boys, but they both will now have their own rooms, but I don't think our toddler will be ready to leave. I guess Since I don't know if we are having a boy or girl, I'm not too concerned. My youngest is still in diapers, so I generally have everything I need on hand, I don't need any extra lotions etc. I do always keep some California baby calendula cream on hand.
Also, a few toddler size prefolds work great as changing table cover pads, well, I use them over the changing table cover for the accidental mess.
I cannot think of anything super special, I always liked having a wipes warmer for when the kids were first born, it makes night changes easier, so the cold wipes won't rattle them completely awake in the middle of the night. Wiping a NB bum with a cold wipe at two am always seemed to wake them up.

That is about it....HTH a bit!