Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
RobynJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
GTT 1 Hour- Anyone else get exhausted after this?

I took my GTT today and about halfway through felt really, really tired.... hope that doesn't mean a bad result... anyone else get really tired?

Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: GTT 1 Hour- Anyone else get exhausted after this?

I get tired afterwards Once the sugar goes through you crash
Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

That stuff is crud. I don't know why they still have women drink it! Seriously.They should let them know there are other options.

You just took a major dose of glucose.If you are luckier,your doc didn't make you fast before drinking it. Docs can't even agree on HOW to have women take it

SS mama! It is just your body responding to what they had you drink

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
RobynJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My doctor told me not to fast. Just not to eat a bunch of sugar or carbs before the test because she didn't want to have to take the three hour.

My A1C was 5.9 before I got pregnant and my entire maternal side has diabetes so I am at a little higher risk of actually having it. But I have made big changes to my eating habits.

I hope it was just a sugar crash..... I don't really drink soda and stuff anymore so it was probably a big shock to my system.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
KassieP
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did not have to fast either... I have not met anyone so far that has...not for the one hour test anyways...(not saying it does not happen) but yes... I was tired and dizzy... It made me feel terrible. The drinking part was not bad...it was just after....I think I just made a bad appointment time... my appointment was at 11:30...so I was sooo ready for lunch while I was sitting there waiting lol
Old 06-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
LisaAnne
Registered Users

My Mood:

It didn't make me tired, but it did make me extremely nauseous and dizzy about halfway through the hour. I can totally see why a lot of offices make you drink the stuff there and wait for an hour. I drank it at home and was so sick that I couldn't finish getting ready or drive for 10-15 minutes. I was supposed to get there about 45 minutes after drinking it, but got there literally as they were supposed to be drawing my blood.

My results were perfectly fine, and if I have any more children I will be declining this test unless I have some majorly different risk factors or significant symptoms of GD.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lisa I am surprised they let you drink at home. Iwasn't allowed to leave the lab after drinking it. They didn't want you to do anything except sit there. No standing walking, nothing.

I felt tired also, hoping it doesn't mean anything bad. Will see Wed I guess. =)
Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaAnne View Post
It didn't make me tired, but it did make me extremely nauseous and dizzy about halfway through the hour. I can totally see why a lot of offices make you drink the stuff there and wait for an hour. I drank it at home and was so sick that I couldn't finish getting ready or drive for 10-15 minutes. I was supposed to get there about 45 minutes after drinking it, but got there literally as they were supposed to be drawing my blood.

My results were perfectly fine, and if I have any more children I will be declining this test unless I have some majorly different risk factors or significant symptoms of GD.
I had the opposite experience. I was so glad they let me drink it at home this time because when I was pregnant with DS, I had to drink it at the lab and sit there, so all I had to think about was how it was making me feel. This time, I drank it then got DS and myself ready to leave the house and they drew my blood about 10 min after I got to the lab. I didn't have the time to think about how I felt, so I didn't notice it making me feel crummy this time.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
LisaAnne
Registered Users

My Mood:

Tracy-I actually know that all three health care systems in my area do it the same way--they give the glucola at the end of your appointment the time before the test, a sheet of instructions on how to drink it, then have you show up to the lab 45-50 minutes after drinking it. The instructions don't require fasting, resting or anything really but finishing the drink within a 5 minute period. However, I can definitely see how it would be a liability for them to give it out and have a pregnant lady drive afterward! I apologized for just about running in with Jack as my blood was supposed to be drawn, and they didn't seem overly surprised at all or really concerned. Honestly, I was "off" almost that entire day after the test, but I was totally fine.

How long ago did you take the test? For me, they contact the day after to tell the results. It would surprise me if you tested positive for GD, but they wouldn't tell you or give you info on changing diet or whatever for the time period between appointments.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #10
DrusL8y
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I got tired and sleepy too! I took a few magazines and books, but geesh! And I too, got hungry! I wasn't told to fast but to eat something high protein...hmm....I ended up rushing around that morning, so I barely ate anything before drinking it.

And you guys got your results next day??! I took my GTT 2 weeks ago and have to wait for my appt this Thursday to find out! I figured that if it was anything alarming they'd call right?
DrusL8y is offline   Reply With Quote