Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:
Re: 16M HAS FEVER...CAN I GIVE MOTRIN ?

Just got a call from the sitter and my 6 month old Sammi has fever too, so I will be stopping to p/u some Motrin myself. The Tylenol isn't working and DH will kill me if I keep giving it to her.

Sandy-

The Motrin comes in other flavors now, it comes in grape and bubble gum, maybe you DC will like that better.

I hope all of our babies get better soon.

Nikki

Advertisement

football_cheer_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #12
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Actually I just wanted to add that fevers can get past 103 in babies older than 6 months without there being an issue. I know its scary, but really its best to let it run its course.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #13
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know a lot of people let their kids run high fevers (103+) and while I do agree that a fever, often times needs to run it's course, when a fever gets to 103 here, personally we medicate. Sometimes for lower than that. It depends on how he feels. When I have a fever of 103, I hurt. I don't want to continue to hurt, so I take motrin myself. I'm not going to let my child suffer for the sake of letting his body handle it on it's own. Now, if he's got a 103 fever and acting just fine, then I don't medicate. It all depends on him and how he's feeling.

I don't think there is anything wrong with not medicating either. Just don't feel bad if you want to medicate her. It's not going to hurt her as long as you give it as needed and as directed.

Ditto the others about tylenol being more dangerous in general though too.

Last edited by JustAugust; 02-21-2007 at 09:31 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:11 AM   #14
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

While I think its definately true that no one likes to be in pain, personally we are a no drug family. Neither my husband or I take tylenol, advil, motrin, or anything like it for any type of pain. We believe the long term detrimental effects outweigh the pain relief benefit. So I guess that is where we are coming from....
Old 02-22-2007, 07:36 AM   #15
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn View Post
While I think its definately true that no one likes to be in pain, personally we are a no drug family. Neither my husband or I take tylenol, advil, motrin, or anything like it for any type of pain. We believe the long term detrimental effects outweigh the pain relief benefit. So I guess that is where we are coming from....
I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. Like I said, I just also haven't seen anything that proves to me that using motrin in limited amounts is likely to cause any long term, lasting effects.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:41 AM   #16
CakeMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeysmom View Post
We have tried Tylenol today and fever keeps coming back. I posted earlier, my dd has stomach flu or/and a little teething. No vomiting tho.

When she woke from a nap, she was burning up...tho dressed in a LS romper, sox and all, with a blankey, so maybe just a bit high with waking up and all. U think? I am gonna check again in just a bit. I check under arm, it was 102, and don't you add 1 as well?

Should I keep giving Tyl or go get Motrin?
don't know if you vax or are a delayed vaxer, but i just wanted to add that if your dd has had the chicken pox vax within the last 6 weeks DO NOT give her motrin.

i'm sorry she's feeling yucky!
CakeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:44 AM   #17
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my 4 yo was a baby I distinctly remember his ER dr telling me that once they're 6 mo old they can have Motrin.
mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:50 AM   #18
cooperden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhodes View Post
don't know if you vax or are a delayed vaxer, but i just wanted to add that if your dd has had the chicken pox vax within the last 6 weeks DO NOT give her motrin.

i'm sorry she's feeling yucky!
Really?? why is that? I dont use motrin but am curious why you shouldnt use it within 6 weeks of CP. (all my kids just had CP last month)
Old 02-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #19
zoeysmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 16M HAS FEVER...CAN I GIVE MOTRIN ? (UPDATE)

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I didn't go out and get Motrin, tho did give her Tylenol about 7 last night, and DID NOT like the way she reacted to it. She became very hyper and still achy at the same time. It took me quite some time to finally get her to bed. Her fever was 102 and she acted very achy and wanted to make her feel, but I don't think it was her dinner, and she didn't eat much anyways, that made her hyper so I am wondering if it was the Tylenol.

She woke up achy/needy thru the night and just drift back off.

This morning woke to 102 temp again, still achy, very cuddly, ate a bit, and I have given no Tylenol tho may have dh brings some Motrin home to ease her overall achiness and any pain.

And she did have her CP vax in Jan tho so I need to no more about that.

Last edited by zoeysmom; 02-22-2007 at 09:15 AM. Reason: UPDATE
zoeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #20
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:
Re: 16M HAS FEVER...CAN I GIVE MOTRIN ? (UPDATE)

Def. try the Motrin mama. I'm so sorry the baby feels like that. I gave my Sammi the Motrin last night, and she felt better pretty quick. Just remember, that Tylenol can be given every 4 and Motrin can only be given every 6-8. Still hoping the baby feels better .

Nikki
football_cheer_mom is offline   Reply With Quote