Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:
10 month old self weaning

Hi Mamas
I have some questions about my LO which I thought some of you may be able to help with.

He is ten months and a solid little guy. Until about 3 weeks ago he wasn't interested in food AT ALL but suddenly he loves food and is often refusing either breast or bottle. (We suppliment due to a poor supply from me being in hospital.) He will actually throw his bottle or spit out the breast and scream for big people food. I am sort of ok with his weaning on his own if that is what he wants to do but I am worried about him not getting enough fluids - he won't drink from a sippy or a cup, he finds them too confusing and bats them away. He doesn't often nurse at night and usually only nurses for 5 minutes when he does nurse during the day. With formula I would say he is probably only getting 8oz sometimes less a day. He was like 24oz PLUS breast feeds until 2 weeks ago. Is it ok for a baby to self wean this young?

For background info - our oldest was bottle fed due to failure to thrive, we almost lots him and they had to do formula feeds input output as an emergency measure. Our middle son was weaned by me also around 10 months BUT he was weaned slowly and gently and weaned onto formula not big people food. We had a good BF relationship but I was suddenly no longer happy about it and I needed to make the transition so I could be comfortable again... it was also a very high stress time in our lives with two chronically sick babies. So although I have three children I have NO idea what I am doing with one wanting to self wean....

Advertisement

mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
jessnye
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 10 month old self weaning

First of all, definitely check with your baby's doc and make sure it's OK. But lots of babies at 10 months get PLENTY of fluids with 5 minutes of nursing, especially if your milk lets down early in the feeding. And with the added calories from the solids he may just not be needing the fattier hind-milk later in the feeding. This being a breastfeeding support board, I should probably tell you, as I'm sure others will, that it's rare for a baby to self-wean before 12 months and it may be a nursing strike. But IMO, a "nursing strike" is often just the initiation of self-weaning, especially in a 10 month old. I'd encourage his preference for solids as long as you're OK with him weaning and add liquids to some of the solids to make sure he gets enough fluid. My second child started weaning at about 9-10 months and that's what my doctor's office told me to do. Now, my third child shows no interest in solids at all. So they're all different.
jessnye is offline   Reply With Quote