Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
descrstn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: low milk supply..thinking of quitting

If it hurts, maybe its her latch?

My baby had a couple nurse ALL DAY days and it prepared us for later. Its a supply and demand for the milk. So every time you FF, you haven't "supplied it" and your body won't "demand it" for the next appropriate time.

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I woudl stop the bottle, honestly, I think it's just hurting you at this point. It might be confusing her latch-wise, and frustrating her to go back and forth. Get a Supplimental Nurser System and put whatever you suppliment in there. She'll get a little "Extra" if she needs it, but you will get the nipple stimulation you need. You really do need to demand feed too. It WILL get better, I PROMISE!
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #13
MorePleaseMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

It sounds like she may have a bad latch and is having trouble getting the milk out of your breasts. Did you see a board certified lactation consultant? Can you contact LLL in your city? Its not too late and your bf relationship can be salvaged. Has you baby been checked for tongue-tie?

Last edited by MorePleaseMom; 07-01-2010 at 06:09 AM.
MorePleaseMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
Judesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

your story sounds so like me and DS1. You are not being selfish wanting to BF, BFing is a wonderful bonding experience whether it's full or part time. I had to take domperidone with DS1 just to be able to part time BF him but it was worth it. I am taking fenugreek with DS2 and I'm still having issues but I did see a good improvement with fenugreek over domperidone and it's far less expensive.

It's too bad they had you supplement so early that's probably the biggest cause of your supply issues, and a vitamin D drops cleared up DS2's jaundice in about 2 weeks. don't beat yourself up, I know you probably are. Do what you can and what is best for you and your baby, which also means what you need to do to stay calm and healthy as well. There is a growth spurt at 2-3 weeks and babies will cluster feed then and will also cluster feed to get your supply up to what they need. If your nipples are hurting self express some milk and rub it on your nipples and let them air dry it really does help! Also make sure she always has a good latch with a wide open mouth, that will really help improve your sore nipples. They will be sore with lots of feeding until they get used to her feeding as well, but as long as they arn't cracked or bleeding you should be good after a few days.

Best of luck :big hugs: do what you need to for you and her but most of all, enjoy her, this is a very special time and it's over so quickly.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you have a La Leche League near you that you can seek out for help?
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #16
Ian and Anya's mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most of everything I was going to say has already been said, (shield, milk on nipples, air dry, fenugreek, blessed thistle, SNS, sleep with her skin to skin, nurse on demand etc.) but I will add...I had to use a shield for almost 8 weeks to teach my DD how to get my inverted nipple out and one good thing that came with having to use it was I could see the milk in it so I knew that she was getting milk.

Also, I was afraid to sleep with my kids but I found a trick that made me feel safer...I position her on her belly on my chest, then I take a blanket across her back and I put it under my arms holding her tightly there like a wrap, only not tied (when I would do this in bed, she slept on me for 2 months) I would put a pillow under each arm as well as a bunch under my head/upper back, I basically slept sitting reclined, if I had only had a recliner it would have been much easier! To nurse her I just had to sit up and get my shield and nurse her and then put her back on me and go back to sleep.

That being said, no matter how you feed your baby she will grow up and be happy and healthy, I know it's hard to not stress over it ((hugs))

Last edited by Ian and Anya's mommy; 06-30-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Ian and Anya's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #17
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nursing is supply and demand - the more your baby nurses the more milk you make. Unfortunately, it sounds like the doctors recommendation for formula feeding interfered with your supply. Nurse, nurse and nurse some more. You can do it. It's what your boobs where designed for to begin with.
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #18
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It makes me sad that the ped's advice is probably what interfered with you milk supply

Don't give up, though! There are lots of good suggestions in this thread and we all know that breastmilk is what is best for your baby It's worth it to keep trying!
Old 07-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #19
bensgypsymama
Registered Users

i didnt read the other posts yet, but when my milk supply started slowing down due to stress, i started taking fenugreek 3 times a day. and id nurse my son, then pump on both sides to help increase my supply. i didnt do it at night because i was so exhausted. but pumping after feedings seemed to help me alot.
bensgypsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #20
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Huge hugs, Mama...I totally hear you on the supply issues. When I was in the hospital after delivering DS, the LC told me I *might* have supply issues because of "marked asymmetry" (my girls are very different sizes!). And, sure enough...despite nursing him what felt like CONSTANTLY, My DS only gained 3 oz between 1.5 wks old and 1.5 months old! ACK! Thank HEAVENS some random man in the Target parking lot commented on his size and that my red mama warning flags flew up.... So I nursed as much as DS would, then bottle fed, then pumped whatever else I could get out for 9 months. The one thing I would do differently if I had it to do over again is that I would use the SNS (as pps have recommended) instead of using a bottle for supplementing. I feel like the demise of our breastfeeding relationship was ultimately because DS refused to nurse unless he was just waking up because drinking from the breast is more work than sucking from a bottle. I also second the Fenugreek and oatmeal recommendations...they really made a difference for me.

Hang in there...I know how it is to have a constantly fussy/hungry baby and I get your DH's side, too, because my DH was the same way. Plus, you still aren't back to your normal self...hormones are CRAZY! Soon, you'll have it all figured out. Huge hugs! Hang in there!
aaiya is offline   Reply With Quote