Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #21
nightdreamer
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: low milk supply..thinking of quitting

Mamas,

Thank you all for your kind words, encouragement and advice. We are working on it, and I feel good that she is at least getting some breast milk at this point. We are working on it. I don't know how much more my sore nipples can take, but we are giving it our best.

Advertisement

nightdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #22
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's all you can do.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #23
5boys1girl
Registered Users

Ok, I didn't read all the posts, but I have advice. I have nursed six kids. The first one for 4 weeks, the second for 6, the third for 9 the fourth for 15 months, the fifth for 16 months and so far the six for 14 months. I had a breast reduction and was told i would never be able to nurse a baby. Well, that was until I found Motillium. You can buy it online (takes about 2 weeks to get here) sometimes if you get a prescription you can find a pharmacy that carries it but that is RARE. I went from pumping every two hours, and Fenugreek 16 times a day to NO bottles, and NO pumping and no fenugreek
5boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #24
lavagirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a breast reduction too! I take domperidone (motilium) to increase my milk supply, and I use an SNS to breastfeed my baby. I'd recommend the lact-aid supplemental nursing system (www.lact-aid.com). It's the best SNS I've ever used! It allows baby to breastfeed AND get supplemented while nursing at the breast. This ensures that your breasts will get the maximum stimulation to produce milk.

I only produce about 1-2 ounces of milk per feed. I pump in between. I won't lie, it's tough and there have been times I wanted to give up too. Then I remember....there are over 300,000 antibodies and living cells in EVERY TEASPOON of breastmilk! Formula is a dead substance. Every drop of breastmilk you give your darling daughter will count!!!

You're doing great, mama. Keep your chin up!
lavagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #25
catwithameantail
Registered Users

I strongly recommend Fenugreek too....my sister had great luck with it.....
But it's also okay if you decide that FF makes more sense for your family at this time.
catwithameantail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #26
kristina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree w/ PP about the fenugreek. Also about reaching out to your local LLL, it's free and they are pretty awesome in my experience. Good luck!
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #27
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

with DS1, I was in pain for the first month....I didn't know how to latch him on properly, no help from LC's etc. I gradually learned on my own, and the pain subsided. I just tried to feed mainly off of the one that hurt least, and pumped after feedings to boost supply and give them a break. it will get better

if you truly want to be successful with bfing, you have to ditch the formula altogether. it will only downward spiral into low supply and early weaning.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote