Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
sjebillings
Registered Users

My Mood:
Can I ask a stupid question re my toddler?

I'm asking here in this forum since I feel like I've gotten to know you all at least a little and a few of you have a number of kids...

We've had all kinds of issues with DD and her behavior, tantrums, emotions and sensory issues. She was a little slower to talk but I do speech therapy for a living and got that sorted out but she continues with other issues and we're going to have her assessed. She also has a crazy memory that she can remember really strange details from things when she was 1-2 years old - we've kinda gotten used to that though. Their cousin has severe autism and developmental delays so we have always been on the lookout for those issues. I also work with a lot of kids with ASD.

Well DS came along and at 18 months spoke in sentences and seems to be totally socially appropriate but then the other day asked DH for a glass baby sippy like grandmama gave him. He is now 2yrs and 4 months old, she gave him a glass baby bottle when he was under a year old - once. I found out about it and then hid the bottle and he hasn't seen it since. Is it normal for kids to have a memory this good?

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
nurseymama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can I ask a stupid question re my toddler?

my DS has a memory like that and also was extremely verbal at that age. He could remember things at 2 and 3 that had happened 9 mos to a year prior.
nurseymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
jessesgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: jesses
seller

My Mood:

I just absolutely cannot believe how good my son's memory is. He didn't get it from his daddy...

Visit Jaleigh Bean Bowtique on the WAHM boards! Also, visit my fan page!
jessesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 4-year-old remembers things from when she was 2, I know.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
sjebillings
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you ladies. He is my "mellow" kid and I get scared when he starts doing things like his sister.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my DD was born DS was only 19 mo but still hadn't even said Mama or Dada...Ironically once she was born he was speaking in sentences in just a couple short months...I've read this is much more common in boys than girls, but I wouldn't stress about it too much...Secondly one thing I've learned about having 3 munchkins is how different they can be...DD1(almost 4) is still my fit pitcher...Her uncles tease that she wasn't raised a princess she just is one...I find that she is so super sensitive that every little Boo has her in a tantrum...DD2 on the other hand could fall off the slide at the park and get up dust herself off and go back to playing..(she's only 18mo) Don't stress too much about their weird quirks each of them has them...As for the memory thing...mine all have weird memories, and bring up things I had forgotten about. So that one for sure is, at least, a common trait...
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
luvmyfam
Registered Users

My Mood:

ditto on the kids having great memories!!! My 2 oldest do so far and I think its just how their brains work.

I have been married to my marine for 10 wonderful years and spend my time knitting and happily homeschooling our 9 yo girl, 6 yo boy, 18 month old girl and our newest addition arrived 30 days early on Sept 23 at 1:05 pm weighing 5 lbs 11oz.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

Kids really do have excellent memories.
I can't say much about what may or may not be common/normal. My ODS has ASD but was talking above his age group at 18m-2yrs. YDS isn't quite as talkative, but is still communicating well. Sometimes I worry when I compare him to ODS, but our Autism doctors and family doctors do not seem worried or concerned. Each child is diffferent. All of my kids have great memories though Especially when its convenient for them. I like to think it's a lot like selective listening sometimes too.
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
Lucysmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Little kids have crazy memories IMO. I remember my son surprising me with details ALL the time and DD is starting to do the same thing
Old 07-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Baltic Creations
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My mother remembers being a baby so yes I think it's possible. He will probably be highly intelligent and maybe even have photographic memory when he get's older as will your dd. I wouldn't be worried about it. I'd see it as a gift!