Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
katina128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Have you ever heard of such a stupid policy?

I went to my 24w5d appt today, and was informed by my OB that he's moving office buildings from one hospital to another in Knoxville. The hospital he's going to is where I delivered my 2nd son nearly 7 years ago. However, they've since adopted this crazy policy that in order for baby to room in with the Mom, someone has to be awake with the lights on at ALL times, even the middle of the night. How dumb is that???!!! I'm SOOOOO mad about it!! I guess I'll just have to pray that I have an uncomplicated easy delivery, and then I'll sign myself out AMA and go home. After all I've been through, they are sadly mistaken if they think they will take my baby from me.

Advertisement

WAHM behind Lullaby Diapers Portfolio

katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
lostiejen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Have you ever heard of such a stupid policy?

That is ridiculous! Way to make moms feel incompetent. I mean, are we seriously to believe that in the nursery - with 20 or so other infants - that kid will be personally monitored every second?

Why is your OB making that switch?
lostiejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

crappy, but they must have had some kind of incident/accident for such a policy I'd think.

they said no cosleeping at my hospital, but I did anyways(I just tried to look awake when anyone would enter)....I guess it would have been harder for me to fall asleep with all the lights on....LOL

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
HeyJude1015
Banned

I'm pretty sure that if you sign yourself out AMA--your insurance won't cover anything. might want to look into that... I know it sounds like a stupid policy, but some mom's are on drugs afterwards and might drop the baby or not be aware of what they are doing. I know that I left the lights on and/or had someone with us at all times when I roomed in with my son. It doesn't mean bright lights, just some lights

I'm sorry, but see if you can't find someone to stay with you? or maybe switch doctors?

ps (like PP--lol, I co-slept but I'm a light sleeper so I would wake up every time they entered to check on us!) But not everyone is so I'm assuming they had a baby die or else they probably wouldn't make that policy.
HeyJude1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would look into the signing out AMA if your insurance won't cover it, but I know people who signed out AMA and they never complained of a bill because of it. I signed out AMA once in the ER and my insurance still paid for it.

I think that's a rediculous policy. At our old hospital where I delivered 4 of my 5 babies, you had no choice BUT to room-in. Some people actually don't want to and they're forced to do it because that's their policy and they don't have a nursery aside from the Special Care unit. How can they seriously expect someone to stay awake 24hrs a day for 2-4 days?? CRAZY!! It's like their forcing you to NOT room-in! Weird!!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

That is crazy! The hospital we had DD at didn't even offer a nursery. They had a NICU for sick babies and all healthy babies HAVE to room-in.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
katina128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They must have had some kind of issue to make such a policy. The other hospitals here don't have that policy. I didn't want to change hospitals, but he's splitting from his partner, going out on his own, and couldn't/didn't want to stay at the Mercy hospital because it seems to be going down the tubes lately. They just opened a satellite hospital out on the west side of town about 7 yrs ago, and now are selling it. He was going to move to that hospital, but since it's being sold, he can't, so he's having to go to Fort Sanders and move affiliations all together. I am really bummed about it. I won't risk messing up the insurance coverage, but I know they only require a 24hr stay, so hopefully that's what we'll do and then go home asap.

WAHM behind Lullaby Diapers Portfolio

katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe you can talk to your dr about releasing you ASAP?? I know it also depends on when you're admitted and when you give birth. I was admitted at 7am, gave birth around 2:30pm and was allowed to leave at 10-11am the next morning. If everyone is looking healthy and happy, perhaps he'll let you leave when you're feeling up to it??
Old 06-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry that's a lousy policy...No mama should be forced to be without her newborn for any amount of time for some stupid policy...You're probably right that it's just to cover their butts after an incident of some kind...Maybe...Well whatever you decide stick to it...don't let them tell you what you can and can't do...afterall they work for you...they cannot make you give up your baby no matter what their policy is...
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

I've never heard of anything that rigid, but the hospital where I delivered DD3 was different than where I delivered the other 2. They said if you were on IV narcotic pain meds- I was on morphine- you couldn't sleep with the baby in there. So they brought the baby in to nurse and then took her to the nursery.

It didn't bother me, but #1: I wasn't actually USING the morphine pump b/c I got the itchies, so by 3-4 am none was in my system and #2: They left me alone while I nursed. Which I didn't get, I mean, I had the c/s at 8:30 and got to the room at almost midnight after 2 days of labor, I was TIRED. Of course I fell asleep nursing...but that was ok, I just couldn't PLAN to sleep with her?

Like PP said, I think stuff has happened to make them have such policies.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote