Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
katina128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Have you ever heard of such a stupid policy?

I'll definitely be talking to him about this policy, because when I was in there today, and mentioned to him that I had heard about it, he didn't think it was true. Well, I have confirmation from someone who just gave birth there, that it is true. So, he'll be appalled I'm sure, and will hopefully be able to help in some way. He delivered my stillborn daughter, has walked this journey with me, and will see me through it to the other side with Olivia in my arms, so I know he will understand why I don't want her out of my sight. Hopefully he can help, but his hands may be tied since it's a hospital thing, not his policy. But, if things go well, no section, no complications, I'm sure he'd let me go home asap.

Advertisement

WAHM behind Lullaby Diapers Portfolio

katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
Esthersmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow that is crazy! Our local hospital just became a baby friendly hospital - they won't offer formula anymore (you have to bring in your own) and babies can only go to the nursery, I want to say either 30mins or an hour a day, they HAVE to room in!

What a crazy policy! yuck.
Rosie, English born and bred, Wife to Josh, Mama to her all American daughters, the delightful little lady Esther Rose (April 06) , Sweet cuddly monkey Rachel (August 08) and sweet little Joel Athanasius (Nov 2010)
Esthersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
kais_momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dude, My little sister was born at ft sanders-knoxville 18 years ago! That is really weird that they changed to that policy. Maybe just cause I'm familar with them if nothing else.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
MommyKeller0107
Registered Users
seller

I'm doing my OB clinicals there right now Katina if you have any questions! Their policies REALLY suck.. and to be honest I would avoid delivering there at all costs.

They take baby out as quickly as possible after delivery to do their assessment in the nursery, and "don't allow" baby to come back until after you are admitted to the post partum unit... I had to tell a mama the other day that she "couldn't have" her baby until her admission paperwork was done.

I laughed so hard when my instructor said that they "don't allow" rooming in, and said there was a flying pig's chance in hell that I would ever deliver at a hospital like that!

ETA: Besides that - after seeing the way the nurses in the nursery treated babies who were crying, I would demand to room in, and have someone scheduled to stay with you in the room so that you could have your baby 24/7 while you are there. I wouldn't trust my child to the women I saw working in there.

Last edited by MommyKeller0107; 06-30-2010 at 11:06 PM.
MommyKeller0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #15
sbbeana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I delivered DS1 and DS2 at the same hospital. When I had DS1, the hospital had almost the same policy. Someone had to be awake with the baby at ALL times if the baby was to be in the room with you. However, they didn't have a policy with the lights. I remember it really upsetting me. So fast forward 3 years later when I had DS2 at the same hospital, I wasn't aware of any changes to their policy. So when I was ready to go to sleep, I paged the nursery to come get DS2. They never came So I just stuck him in his bassinet and snoozed off. About an hr or so later when one of my nurses came to check on me, I asked her why no one came to take him away. She giggled and told me that it was no longer a hospital policy. In fact, they encouraged rooming in nowadays. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. It really stinks
Old 06-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #16
sbbeana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esthersmommy View Post
Wow that is crazy! Our local hospital just became a baby friendly hospital - they won't offer formula anymore (you have to bring in your own) and babies can only go to the nursery, I want to say either 30mins or an hour a day, they HAVE to room in!

Hey that's awesome! Which hospital is it?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:13 AM   #17
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow that's crazy- It's bad enough being in a hospital when they're checking on you all of the time and bothering you at night, much less having the lights on!! I don't know what the policy was at the hospital I was at, but I just did what I wanted. I don't think they were super happy about her being with me in the bed, but they weren't going to take her away!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #18
katina128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKeller0107 View Post
I'm doing my OB clinicals there right now Katina if you have any questions! Their policies REALLY suck.. and to be honest I would avoid delivering there at all costs.

They take baby out as quickly as possible after delivery to do their assessment in the nursery, and "don't allow" baby to come back until after you are admitted to the post partum unit... I had to tell a mama the other day that she "couldn't have" her baby until her admission paperwork was done.

I laughed so hard when my instructor said that they "don't allow" rooming in, and said there was a flying pig's chance in hell that I would ever deliver at a hospital like that!

ETA: Besides that - after seeing the way the nurses in the nursery treated babies who were crying, I would demand to room in, and have someone scheduled to stay with you in the room so that you could have your baby 24/7 while you are there. I wouldn't trust my child to the women I saw working in there.
That just makes me sick. Thank you for telling me Lori. I really don't want to change OB's but I just don't know what to do now. I remember them taking Zach away right after birth, and then bringing him back once I was moved and it bothered me then. I simply won't allow it now. I've been through too much emotionally to have them do that to me. I guess I'll be calling my OB and asking him to look into this, and to look into keeping his privileges at St. Mary's or going to UT or Park West at least. Anything but this.

WAHM behind Lullaby Diapers Portfolio

katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #19
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

This terrifies me -- I thought I would be able to nurse my oldest but after 36 hours of trying to get a latch, 2 lactation consultants trying their best, nurses helping me, it just physically won't happen. It broke my heart (I cried when they cup fed him a few drops of formula and brought me the pump kit) and DH and I were not prepared financially to be purchasing formula. We have a fairly baby-friendly hospital too, I just can't imagine not having any options as a first time mom for getting my little one fed.
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Our hospital here was the first baby friendly one in the state. It's awesome. They totally advocate rooming in. You have to ask for the nursery if you want it. And breastfeeding all the way. They assume that you will and they don't offer formula. And they totally encourage mamas and babies to be together the whole time. Good luck mama.