Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #21
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Have you ever heard of such a stupid policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
crappy, but they must have had some kind of incident/accident for such a policy I'd think.

they said no cosleeping at my hospital, but I did anyways(I just tried to look awake when anyone would enter)....I guess it would have been harder for me to fall asleep with all the lights on....LOL
Yup, our hospital had the no co-sleeping policy also. But lights on or no baby? That's nuts. Hopefully its just a silly rumor.

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #22
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The hospital I have delivered 2 out of 3 at had crazy policies about stuff too... I just ignored them and did things my way. They had the no co-sleeping policy as well, I co-slept with mine every night. I had one nurse say something to which I said "MY child, MY policies, not yours!" As far as nursery... each time I had someone say that "had" to take them for something or would ofer to take them... I declined each time and when they tried to be authoritive about it and say he "had" to go for something I would make it clear to them that the only mandatory policy there was was MY policy that he would not leave my sight for one milli-second of the entire stay. They chalked me up as their crazy/difficult patient and tended to avoid me thankfully.
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #23
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to live in Knoxville, and I delivered my son at UT Medical Center and it was an awesome experience The staff was fantastic, and he stayed with me the ENTIRE time. Great lactation consultant too.

But, how can they really monitor that policy? I mean, you can say you'll stay awake, and once they leave, go to sleep!

The hossy in TX where I delivered DD had a no cosleeping policy. But again, they can't monitor that really.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #24
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolbut View Post
This terrifies me -- I thought I would be able to nurse my oldest but after 36 hours of trying to get a latch, 2 lactation consultants trying their best, nurses helping me, it just physically won't happen. It broke my heart (I cried when they cup fed him a few drops of formula and brought me the pump kit) and DH and I were not prepared financially to be purchasing formula. We have a fairly baby-friendly hospital too, I just can't imagine not having any options as a first time mom for getting my little one fed.
I find that kind of scary too. We had a similar situation with DD in the hospital and I was thankful that formula was available when we needed it. Our hospital is certified "Baby-Friendly" and highly encourages breastfeeding, but does have formula on hand thankfully for those who need it.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #25
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is soooooo dumb! When I delivered DS they did not even have a well baby nursery! Rooming in was the only option unless you had a sick baby. It was hard but it's what I wanted anyway. And that was a hospital, not a birthing center or anything like that.

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #26
mommybird
Registered Users

My Mood:

If our hospital did that I would be switching. I'd hate to leave my OB, but that is just the dumbest policy I've ever heard of. I was in the hospital for 24 hours after DD was born and the dr. signed me out because I wanted to go home. I did a natural delivery, she wasn't away from me or DH for a second. Every time they wanted to do a weight check or something I walked her to the nursery myself. I hope you can either find a new hospital or find a way to get around their policy.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #27
Sassu
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
I find that kind of scary too. We had a similar situation with DD in the hospital and I was thankful that formula was available when we needed it. Our hospital is certified "Baby-Friendly" and highly encourages breastfeeding, but does have formula on hand thankfully for those who need it.

I think "Baby-Friendly" would be my baby getting sustenance. Had zero intention of using formula but for various reasons had to supplement with a tube at the breast in the hospital for 5 days. I had lots of help with/prior knowledge about BF and knew absolutely nothing about formula so I'm thankful they were able to help. Thank God they were "Baby-Friendly" enough to know my baby needed to eat...
We have a room-in or nursery choice but if you choose to use the nursery the baby must come to your room every 2 hours for nursing. No policy that I'm aware of about leaving the lights on or having someone awake if you choose to room in.

Last edited by Sassu; 07-01-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Sassu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #28
katina128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So I post on a local board called knoxmoms and had many replies about this crazy policy, many confirming it. I logged on just now to find this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
Assure you your doctor will support you! I was not aware this policy still existed anywhere. Have a call in to the director of womens services, because this will not fly with most of my patients (or with me) :-) Probobly has a lot to do with the individual nurses enforcing it...

That is my sweet OB who is apparently going to get this all straightened out for me. I am so touched and impressed by his care and attention. He has been beside me this whole time, from the pregnancy with Rachel, to the stillbirth, post partum, testing, getting answers for us, trying again, and now this very stressful pregnancy. He is truly amazing and cares deeply for his patients as you can see. I feel much better about this knowing he is advocating for me.

WAHM behind Lullaby Diapers Portfolio

katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #29
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh, OP, that's so great! I chose to have my babies room in with me for both births and got ANGRY when after my C they took him to the nursery...
When the nurses aren't looking we get nekkid and cosleep (cosleeping is technically against policy but I've never gotten in trouble for it)
Hope you get the same!!
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #30
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassu View Post

I think "Baby-Friendly" would be my baby getting sustenance. Had zero intention of using formula but for various reasons had to supplement with a tube at the breast in the hospital for 5 days. I had lots of help with/prior knowledge about BF and knew absolutely nothing about formula so I'm thankful they were able to help. Thank God they were "Baby-Friendly" enough to know my baby needed to eat...
We have a room-in or nursery choice but if you choose to use the nursery the baby must come to your room every 2 hours for nursing. No policy that I'm aware of about leaving the lights on or having someone awake if you choose to room in.
Thanks, ladies. I realized after the fact that this could turn into a giant BFing argument, which wasn't my intent, I was just thinking back to being a scared first time mommy who thought everything would go the way I planned

That being said, I'm sooo glad more hospitals are making birth a more positive, natural, baby-centered experience and letting mamas do the right thing for their kiddos
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote