Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
shutterbug518
Registered Users
seller

Probably a ridiculous question... newbie here

I'm not sure if I'm handling this right. Please explain to me what I'm supposed to do with the dirty diapers. Throw them in the dry pail (with a liner?) Rinse them out? Swish them in the toilet? Do I need to separate the covers from the prefolds/inserts? I've been rinsing them all in the toilet with the sprayer and then squeezing them out and throwing them in the pail. But this is annoying. Do I need to do this with even the just wet diapers? I thought I read somewhere that I shouldn't keep the dirty covers in with the dirty prefolds/inserts. Please help this clueless mama save some time!!

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Hoping2BaMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Probably a ridiculous question... newbie here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbug518 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm handling this right. Please explain to me what I'm supposed to do with the dirty diapers. Throw them in the dry pail (with a liner?) Rinse them out? Swish them in the toilet? Do I need to separate the covers from the prefolds/inserts? I've been rinsing them all in the toilet with the sprayer and then squeezing them out and throwing them in the pail. But this is annoying. Do I need to do this with even the just wet diapers? I thought I read somewhere that I shouldn't keep the dirty covers in with the dirty prefolds/inserts. Please help this clueless mama save some time!!
I don't rinse just pee diapers unless they are extra smelly in the morning. I don't swish in the toilet, just spray off with the diaper sprayer. Then I throw it in the trash can with a PUL liner. Covers and prefolds can go in together (unless the cover is wool). But PUL and fleece covers can all go in the liner and wash together.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
Ajna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What types of dipes are you using? prefolds with covers or fitteds with covers? You can keepa bucket with a little water and then throw pee dipes in there. The poopy ones you should dump the poop in the toilet and then put the dipe in the bucket. The covers can be re-used and wipes down between changes, but when you are ready to wash them you don't need to soak them first.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
shutterbug518
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajna View Post
What types of dipes are you using? prefolds with covers or fitteds with covers? You can keepa bucket with a little water and then throw pee dipes in there. The poopy ones you should dump the poop in the toilet and then put the dipe in the bucket. The covers can be re-used and wipes down between changes, but when you are ready to wash them you don't need to soak them first.
I am using prefolds/PUL covers and BG OS pockets. I can probably keep a wet pail in the tub so DD can't get to it. Should I keep plain water in there or add anything to it?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
SweetPacino
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't sweat it. Just knock the poo off, spray it and dump it in a dry pail all together. I don't rinse the pee dipes ever. GL mamma!
SweetPacino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
leeuhhh
Registered Users

My Mood:

if theyre pee, just throw them in. spray the poo off the poo dipes till there are no more big chunks and toss that in as well. no special treatment needed here, i'm way too lazy for it! lol.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Laydiebugs
Registered Users

How old and what is your LO eating? Asking just in case it's a breastfed infant and nobody had told you, exclusively breastfed poo doesn't need rinsing it goes straight into the wash.

I use a dry Kissaluvs Antibacterial bag, never bothered to put it in a pail. Covers (except wool) go straight in the bag with the diapers, nothing gets rinsed (but we're breastfeeding).

From what I gather there are a million methods. I keep meeting mommas who swear by flushable liners once the kiddo's poo can't go straight in the wash - they're the main reason I mounted a changing table above the toilet!
Laydiebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Noukinu
Registered Users

My Mood:

I throw all the diapers together in a plastic garbage can in the garage can with no lid (if I closed the lid the smell was horrible, can't smell the diapers for some reason with open), right before laundry time I spray the poopie ones down. I haven't had any problems with stains. I found I just didn't have time to spray the diapers down each time I change dd so I just wait until I do the laundry. I do laundry Monday, Wednesday and Friday. One load each time with 27 BG OS 3.0 diapers. I never ran low on diapers or had problems with stains.
Noukinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
swingkid1975
Registered Users

I use AIO's and pockets so I use washable fleece liners on mine. I took a light weight fleece blanket and cut it up.

Pee diapers just get thrown in a dry pail along with any inserts and the liners.

Poopy ones I knock as much of the poop off the liner as I can into the toilet and throw the liner and the diaper/insert into the pail.

I wash everything together. I don't bother with spraying since I use the liners.
swingkid1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
cmorse2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always take my inserts out of my pocket diapers before putting them in the pail though. Otherwise they don't wash well if left inside the pocket. But I wash everything except wool together and line dry pockets, covers, aio's, etc. and machine dry the inserts, cloth wipes, and liners. Hope that helps!
cmorse2 is offline   Reply With Quote