Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
Rebeldream
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Rebel Cloth Tutorial (MC)

I did a few quick Google searches, but didn't come up with something similar to these, though I'm SURE there are, and please feel free to link me if you know of any!

I made myself some MC over 7 years ago by the simplest means possible because all I had was some old flannel, old towels, and a sewing machine. I had nearly zero sewing skills and nothing fancy like snaps. I'm still using the same ones (though I've since recovered them with a cooler flannel, lol) and I'm making my DD a set for whenever she starts. So since I was at it, I figured I'd do a small tutorial. I've never come across anyone who makes/uses MC like I do.

Firstly, mine do NOT have a waterproof layer. Neither do they have wings or snaps. They are simply flannel and terry cloth. They're used by wearing two pads together (this is not as bulky as it sounds - really!!) and turning them as needed to get a fresh side... so two pads really makes for 4 uses. These would probably not be the best option for someone with a super heavy flow or someone who needs to wear them for hours at a time with no option of getting to a bathroom.

I prefer them this way for one main reason... I don't need to carry extra pads or a wetbag with me. The 4 uses will typically last me all day, or at least through an outing that it several hours long. The only downside is that you have to be aware of them when using the toilet since they're not secured and they CAN fall out. (This has happened to me only once in 7 years, though.) This is a very minor downside as far as I'm concerned.

So they're used thusly... Two pads on top of each other, right? Side A & B and C & D. You use side A first. Then you turn Side A down so Side B is against you. In the meantime, all the moisture will evaporate off Side A. Next, you turn Side B down and turn BOTH pads around so you're using Side D. (So Side A is against your underwear, but now dry, while Side B evaporates.) Lastly, you turn Side D down so you're using Side C. That is sooooooo much more complicated to explain than it is to do. LOL!!

If I haven't completely lost you or your interest at this point, here's the (very simple) tutorial...

Start with a flannel print you like and an old towel:

Draw up a basic pattern (using a sposie or just free-hand it). Most of mine are 8" long and 2" wide at the center. Feel free to print the pic, but I have no idea if it'll be true to size.

Cut out two pieces of flannel and one of terry cloth, about 4" across and 10" long. This does NOT have to be exact or straight and you can give yourself more/less room as needed.

Sandwich the terry between the flannel and pin the ends with large safety pins. Draw your pattern on the flannel.

Using a straight stitch, trace the pattern outline.

Cut as close to the straight stitch as possible, then overcast the edges using a zigzag. (Where you hit the material on the 'zig' but not the 'zag' and it creates a wannabe serger stitch.) Stitch down the middle if you like with a straight stitch or zigzag. All done! Takes all of like 5 minutes!

These are for my DD, but I have tons of them and only use about 10 per cycle. (About 2 a day.) Hope this is useful to someone! Thanks for reading!

Advertisement

Swagbucks Pre-PL'ing Diaper Stash My Love of Cloth Rebel MCloth Tutorial
Rebeldream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
happymom83
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rebel Cloth Tutorial (MC)

good job
Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Fabulous idea and wonderful job. I love these.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
sbfrankie
Registered Users
seller

Fast, frugal and effective!
sbfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
angelnalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so nice of you to post a tutorial for other mamas
Old 07-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
Mommyplunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's great, thanks for sharing!
I am now blessed to be a SAHM to my 3 LOs R (1/1/99), E (4/7/02) and L (4/8/09) and very lucky to be with the love of my life where not only is he the father to my children but my best friend and hero. I follow a celtic pagan tradition and I'm becoming crunchier by the day. I enjoy knitting, sewing and making things with my hands.
Mommyplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
xmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The flipping thing is sorta what I did with my trifold the other day, I just unfolded and refolded so the inside piece was now against me. It was actually pretty convienient since it was a light end day and I forgot to bring a change with me.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
Rebeldream
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmommy View Post
The flipping thing is sorta what I did with my trifold the other day, I just unfolded and refolded so the inside piece was now against me. It was actually pretty convienient since it was a light end day and I forgot to bring a change with me.
Is it sad that I read this and then looked for the "Like" button? Facebook is taking over my brain! LOL!!

Swagbucks Pre-PL'ing Diaper Stash My Love of Cloth Rebel MCloth Tutorial
Rebeldream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
sillycilla87
Registered Users

That's great!!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller