Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Preservative free, dye free, whole foods eating mamas

We are on the Feingold diet here and find it VERY easy to keep it under $400 a month. You can't eat out so that eliminates a lot of cost right there. Also, I make tons of things from scratch like all our deserts, , bread, croutons, bread crumbs, buns, snacks, etc. We buy very little prepackaged food. We actually spend most of our money on fresh fruits and veggies.

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas!! We're slowly transitioning. Going through my reciept I realized a LOT of our food budget is sucked up by DH's lunches. I may have to start making him stuff in bulk from scratch...plus his 'snacky' crap...The kids food is actually reasonably cheap.

Figuring out lunches will also be a challenge. We're a family of 5 (the baby is not quite 6 months so he doesn't eat)...we'll probably do mostly vegetarian for meals because DH is allergic to poultry and I'm allergic to fish and I want to limit our red meat intake. (not a huge fan of pork)
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

$400 per month in New England for a family of 3 kids and one adult and at least 2 meals a week we feed friends or family. It's doable but it requires diligence and bulk shopping and sale shopping and reduced produce rack shopping. Feingold is a little more difficult with all the fruits and veggies you can't have. We are vegetarian and dye-free and mostly preservative free though with lots of whole foods. You just have to be creative.

ETA that all our produce is organic, that's a big portion of the bill. I do make yogurt and bread and all of our baking but organic produce is pricey. So that's a big expense in our montly grocery bill but it's non-negotiable. We would cut back on fresh fruits and veggies and go frozen only rather than do conventional produce.

Last edited by 3rockstars; 07-02-2010 at 05:39 PM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS has been on the Feingold diet since January. It has changed our lives in a very good way. I am so grateful.

Our grocery cost went up quite a bit initially because we had to purchase all these new Feingold safe foods, toothpaste and such. After several months on the diet, our grocery bill has dropped back down to a manageable level. It is hard for me to estimate because we are living with my MIL and she sometimes buys some meat and veggies for dinner. We buy all the other stuff. But, the combined shopping throws our budget numbers are a bit off. There are many conventional brand foods that are approved, it takes a while to find them all at the store and figure out what stores have what. That was really the hardest part. I am still learning how to save money and still stick to the diet.

I stockpile Feingold approved foods, when I find them on sale. Stockpiling really helps cut the cost down. For example, I have a local small health food store that I discovered has really awesome sales. I have got things such as Envirokids rice snack bars and Late July crackers for over 50% off and the clearance out food like the day old approved bread and rolls they get from a local bakery. I bought 6 packages of the cracker and cereal bars when I found them on sale. I found approved cheese at Target and I bought a bunch and froze it. Once you get your initial food, maybe you can set a portion of your food budget for purchasing sale items for your stockpile. It can lower your cost significantly. I try to make as much as I can from scratch, but I still stockpile some approved processed foods. I need it to survive, since I work full-time.

We have found a local farm that sells free range beef, bison and chickens. His prices are pretty good. I am going to start hitting the farmers markets. Several fruits and veggies are already in season and considerably cheaper. Like $8 for organic grapes a few months ago and $2 now for them. We try to stick to organic at least for the dirty dozen. Flour and sugar I buy in bulk at Sams Club.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
Shaunam
Registered Users

I think I spent like $300 last month but it varies. For one thing, sometimes I cook for dbf a lot and sometimes I'm mostly just cooking for me and DS, who is only with me 3 days a week. Usually it's closer to $250 I think. I could probably get by easily on $100 a month for JUST ME. I do enjoy my splurges though. I think $400 is totally doable for a family with 2 adults and a few kids, especially if you eat a lot of meat-free meals. Buy as much of your produce in season as you can and buy dry beans and grains in bulk.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #16
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm...it might suck for a while because we have Wal-Mart, Hy-Vee & Fareway. Fareway doesn't carry ANYTHING organic. Wal-Mart is hit or miss on about 98% of stuff and Hy-Vee is so gosh dang high priced on EVERYTHING...seriously Whole wheat flour at Wal-Mart? $1.20-something, Whole wheat flour at Hy-Vee? $2.30-something

Crap...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #17
Whoamama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I try to eat as clean as possible and I only send about $100/bi weekly. I make EVERYTHING from scratch, breads, crackers,pastas,sweets, etc. etc. and buy all my produce locally @ loca farms and produce markets, most aren't organic but I feel good about the carbon footprint being smaller. I buy enough in season stuff to try to last a good while. This summer so far Ive bought about 50lbs of corn (its shucked , and frozen), beans-frozen,tomatoes-canned,strawberries & other berries-frozen. I usually only have to buy occasional meat,bananas, flour, baking supplies, oils, etc @ Store.
Whoamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #18
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We eat a complete natural and organic diet. We buy groceries weekly, it runs to $100-$150. We buy mostly fresh foods with just a little frozen/canned/boxed for those days when we can't make a home-made meal. So things to run out quickly considering it's fresh.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #19
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you have a Whole Foods or Trader Joes within driving distance. We have both in our metro area. It takes me about 45 one way, but I only go once every 4-6 weeks. I stock up on stuff like cereal, maple syrup, cooking oil, cookies, crackers etc. Mostly all their house brand products. If you have those stores I can send you my shopping list.

I would post on the Feingold Association board about your local stores. You should have gotten some codes to get on the board with your registration materials. I am sure someone can give you a heads up on what products to look for at those stores. That board is full of really helpful moms, who are always willing to help newbies.

As far as Walmart, I rarely go there. But, from what I remember I bought yeast, baking chocolate, canned pairs, canned pineapples, approved chocolate cake mix, shortbread cookies, and cereal there. Look under the chocolate candy section of the guide. I hear that there is an approved chocolate candy that is Walmart brand.

We don't do everything strictly organic. We buy some convention brand products as long as they are on the list. But, I do stick to organic produce for the dirty dozen. I learned that the hard way. The first Stage 2 fruit I tried reintroducing was Strawberries. That did not go at all. I tried Organic strawberries and that went much better, but he still had a milder reaction to them. Now, we stick to organic for the dirty dozen.

Last edited by wimama; 07-03-2010 at 09:10 AM.
wimama is offline   Reply With Quote