Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can you ride roller coasters etc when pg?

DH is off for FIVE days and we want to do something fun as a family. I was thinking about going to the water park or to six flags.... Can I ride a roller coaster at 13 weeks pg? What about big water slides and such at a water park?
I figure there are plenty of things I'll have to sit out anyway due to many of the little ones not being able to ride... but I love roller coasters and if we do go to Six Flags I would hate to miss out if I didn't 'have' to.

Advertisement

JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
eileenAKAmommy
Mommy to 2 special boys
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can you ride roller coasters etc when pg?

Not sure, but I found this:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...rcoasters.html
Old 07-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Dorothy'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never would. I know at Disneyland they had warnings on most of the rides, except the ones in the kiddie section.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok nobody get mad at me...I went to disneyland when I was 6 months pregnant and rode almost everything...Those are mild in comparison to six flags however...I had my Ob's permission at the time. He told me as long as it wouldn't jerk me around too bad...But I rode "splash mountain" a dozen times and "thunder mountain railroad" and "space mountain"...I made the hub ride for me first since it had been so long since I rode any of them...The "matterhorn" was off limits...All that being said DD2 was born perfectly healthy...Though she is my daredevil...
So I would clear it with your MW or OB, but I would still suggest to just use a little common sense and pick your battles...I'd say you could prob guesstimate off of height limits...If it's ok for smaller kids it's probably ok for you unless you are at high risk...The height limits on the rides I could ride were only 39inches...
Just my opinion...HTH
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

at 13 weeks idk if i would worry about it
guess i would ask doc
but it says specifically on rides not too
so if its a kiddy ride your good but something that really jerks you and everything no
Old 07-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
lostiejen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I asked my OB a few weeks back because we were planning on going to some of the Florida theme parks. His advice was "nothing with sudden starts and stops." He said that the force of some of those rides is comparable to being in a car accident and, obviously, if you were in a car accident while you were pregnant it would be cause for concern.

It kind of bummed me out to hear it but when he put it like that...it was hard advice to ignore.
lostiejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
SazBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've always thought they were off limits- I loooooove roller coasters, and have been looking forward to the day... maybe in a couple years? when I can get back on again! I always worry about all the herky-jerky movements and vibrations... but I'm a little on the overly-cautious side to begin with. I'm sure the signs at the parks are more for liability reasons than actual risks though, I think they've even shown that some minor car accidents aren't a major concern for pregnant women. Not sure how early pregnancy vs late pregnancy would change the risk... certainly early on you have to be careful until your placenta is well established and well attached... when does that happen?!?! I guess later in pregnancy you have to think you're really taking a little tiny baby along for the ride too...

Definitely clear it with your dr or mw, get their opinion, and decide if you're willing to take the small risk for a quick thrill!
Old 07-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
jraejohnson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i don't know the facts. but i personally don't think i would want to take a chance. maybe a water park would be better than six flags, but i don't know. as others have said maybe see what your doc thinks
Old 07-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
2boysmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would never. Just not a chance I'd be willing to take.

I think you should ask your dr. they would know what is best for you.
2boysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Piper's Closet
Registered Users
Formerly: ewalk585 **DO NOT FSOT~ADMIN**

My Mood:

i never wanted to ride anything that might make you sick,remember it will be warm out, drink lots of water and use common sense. anything with dips or the spun was not anything i would want to ride on when pregnant even though now i love them.
Piper's Closet is offline   Reply With Quote