Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
aliciamarie632
Registered Users
seller

Mama Cloth-Cotton Velour vs Minky?

I just got my PP cycle back and started using a menstrual cup. I'd like to get some liners to use with it occasionally and a couple pads too. I've never used mama cloth so I've been doing some research but can't decide on a topper. I'm just getting a few so I'd like them to be really nice. Which do you prefer cotton velour or minky?

I was thinking minky would be soft, stay-dry, and more stain resistent. But, cotton velour would probably be soft, and breathable....What do you think?

Advertisement

aliciamarie632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
EarthMum
Registered Users
Formerly: Fallenangell44

Re: Mama Cloth-Cotton Velour vs Minky?

I love them both equally. I love OBV for heavy days, and minkee for lighter. I picked dark colours for my OBV (black and burgundy) so you would never see any stains.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

In addition to what you have already said/already know, cotton is of course a natural fiber and minky is polyester/synthetic. The cotton velour absorbs so your top layer is doing some of the work. From what I have read minky neither absorbs nor repels so it is just a layer of fabric, but I have not used it as it is synthetic so I cannot speak from personal experience on it.

Cotton velour is as you said, soft and breathable and it says beautiful and absorbent over time.

Maybe try a few of each to see which you like better! You might be like the PP and prefer cotton for certain times and minky for other times.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I prefer minkee because it is softer and doesn't stain. I do also like obv though but am not a fan of cotton velour. I don't find it as soft over time.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
ericamichelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM Cloth View Post
In addition to what you have already said/already know, cotton is of course a natural fiber and minky is polyester/synthetic. The cotton velour absorbs so your top layer is doing some of the work. From what I have read minky neither absorbs nor repels so it is just a layer of fabric, but I have not used it as it is synthetic so I cannot speak from personal experience on it.

Cotton velour is as you said, soft and breathable and it says beautiful and absorbent over time.

Maybe try a few of each to see which you like better! You might be like the PP and prefer cotton for certain times and minky for other times.
I agree with Michelle. Also, you might try bamboo velour since it is squishy soft, too.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
aliciamarie632
Registered Users
seller

I just thought of something else-what about stiffness?

I know by my DS2's dipes that microfiber (which I'm assuming is similiar as zorb) stays squishy when wet where as organic cotton and OBV get stiff and hard. Is it the same with mama cloth? Do you find natural fabrics uncomfortable when wet?
aliciamarie632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do find that Zorb stays much softer over time (I switched over my entire stash when I found Zorb). It also dries in the dryer in about half a cycle compared to heavy flow pads made with bamboo or cotton cores which can take up to 2 dryer cycles to dry. Microfiber is very different then zorb to see them side by side but it does stay soft and squishy.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote