Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #1
ariadne19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do I raise veggie loving kids

I tried with DD1... We introduced all veggies (even ones I dislike) we made sure she saw us eating them... We put them on her plate and encouraged her to eat them, but never MADE her... As a baby/toddler she loved them all. But once she turned 3, the veggie love was gone.

How do vegatarian moms end up with veggie loving kids.. is it "this or nothing" rule and they learn to like them out of necessity?

DD1 may be too far gone, but DD2 isn't eating yet, so maybe I can still save her!

I'm currently adding pureed beans & veggies to our food, to help with her lack of veggie eating. But I'm not as a substitute, she still has real, recognizable veggies on her plate at every meal.

Advertisement

ariadne19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:04 AM   #2
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I raise veggie loving kids

It might be a phase she is going through. My DS1 did this, "I dont like that" to a bunch of foods he LOVED just months before and is now 4 years later getting to the point that he'll retry them and admit that he likes them, a lot.

I never gave my kids fries and chicken nuggets, mac and cheese or any of the typical kids foods, we would eat okra and zucs, squash, steamed carrots, lots of salad -- when it's all they are offered, they dont know to want anything else. In my case, they did not know it existed.

I would not say your daughter is too far gone. Keep working on her. I used to have to hold back the veggies until they ate some protein, because they loved their veggies so much!
Old 07-05-2010, 04:39 AM   #3
drummermommy
Registered Users

Watching..
SO is against me having my Lo veggie though
drummermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

Momma, we aren't vegetarians here, but my little guy prefers veggies, fruit, and dairy over meat - so I've got the opposite problem as you do. You may need to re-ignite your DD1s passion for vegetables. At her age, 3-4 year olds, tend to be Mommy's Little Helpers, so you can start involving her in the meal preparation process by letting her snap fresh green beans, or have her grow her own pot of chives (easy and foolproof) - if you have room for a small garden, by all means go for it, and involve her in everything from planting to harvest. I've never had a distaste for vegetables, and I think that is because I am the granddaughter of a truck farmer and I spent my childhood years planting, picking, shelling, snapping, and canning tons of veggies. I really think your DD will be more interested in tasting veggies if she shelled the peas or shucked the corn you cooked for dinner, KWIM?
Also, you might want to do meat free dinners - replace the normal ground beef in your spaghetti sauce with chopped spinach and mushrooms. Broaden your veggie horizons too - try hummus, lentils, winter squash, parsnips, artichokes, okra, etc - all the more uncommonly eaten veggies. Try "sweet" veggies - yams, spaghetti squash, carrots, sweet peas. If your DD likes grilled meat, grill some marinated sliced zucchini and summer squash along with it. Sometimes if a veggie is cooked the same way as the meat, it's more appealling to little ones, for some reason? Lastly, if you DD is still eating fruit, roll with it, and prepare a simple fruit salad to serve with dinner - right now, we are eating fresh berries with Greek Honey yogurt and a sprinke of cinnamon with dinner almost every night.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:22 AM   #5
army_princess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is on a nutritional drink so I don't worry if he does not eat his dinner. BUT He does have to eat what we make, or he does not get what he wants, even if it is a few bites. we will even compromise, a few bites of this for a few bites of that.

my DS loves vegetables and fruit. Yesterday he was actually eating hamburger meat(not a fan on bread) and after about 1/2 he wanted fruit(by passed the fries) so I gave him a piece of fruit. Then he said he wanted more. Told he him had to take a bite of his meat to get fruit. he agreed. He ate 3/4 his fruit and 3/4 his meat. Normally I am lucky to get him to eat a few bites!!

with vegetables I just tell him to eat his corn, or green beans or peas. Sometimes we have fresh vegetables, and he goes nuts over carrots, broccoli and cabbage, no need to ask him to eat some, he steals the bowl from me.....
army_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kids are picky and their tastes are always changing (at least that's what I tell myself when I get frustrated). I am veg and my son was until I realized he had soy and gluten sensitivity, now he eats a little meat... anyway, he loved baby food veggies -- any baby food for that matter. Now he will only eat peas, sweet potatoes, and his new "veggie" is baked beans. Haha. I think we're working back up by adding one at a time! It's definitely important to keep OFFERING them (I don't MAKE my son eat them either) but I just try to go with the flow. I give him a gummy multivitamin to help.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

My son prefers veggies over fruit. He had to stay in the hospital overnight for a broken arm (required surgery) and I let him pick out whatever he wanted to eat. He chose mac and cheese, carrots, broccoli, and peaches. He wolfed down all the carrots, only a few broccoli because it was mostly stems and ate all the peaches. When we started him on solids I only gave him veggies. I introduced fruits after a couple of months and he has never done well with meat.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
qtytot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My daughter eats what I eat. Since I ate a lot of veggies, it is what she eats. When she was yopunger, I gave her baby food but mostly veggies and fruits. I let her have the meats maybe once a week so she didnt really develop a liking to them. She eats a lot of vegetables and fruits. She gets her protein from tofu and beans. Sometimes she would eat meat.
qtytot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
ariadne19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is almost 6 now, we've been fighting this battle for awhile. We currently live in an Apt, so we can't have a realt garden, but we belong to a CSA so she does get to pick some of her own veggies. She will eat tons of sugar snap peas, so long as she picks them herself.

She loves vegetables until we started introducing other foods, then she became a meat-lover like her father (I can take it or leave it). I'm going to try and get her in the kitchen more, maybe if she's more involved she'll be more willing to eat.

It seems though I can put pretty much anything on a pizza crust or in a quiche and she will eat it... maybe we just need to make more of those..
ariadne19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Children's taste buds are typically more sensitive than adults, so maybe that has something to do with it. My kids all eat some veggies and there are some that they will not eat. I keep offering them all and try cooking them in different ways. All 3 will eat raw carrots, but only one likes them cooked (with a honey butter glaze). My 2 girls will eat salad like crazy and only recently will DS eat a few lettuce leaves, but I keep putting it on his plate.

I don't force my kids to eat either, but I do encourage them to take a bite, especially if I hear "I don't like that." My rule is that you can't say you don't like something if you haven't tried it. So if they take a bite and don't want any more then that's fine.

I also won't give seconds on a favorite food unless 2 things are gone from their plate. I try hard to always serve at least one thing that everyone likes and then other things that are healthy. If they want more of the beloved food, then they have to eat something else too. I usually have at least 4 different things on their plate to choose from. Of course if they only want to eat the one thing and be done, then that is their choice. I save their plate if they get hungry later.

Good luck. I know how frustrating picky eaters can be.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote