Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does your LO have an umbilical hernia/outie belly button??

So I just had to Google hernia's and outie belly buttons. . .didn't tell me much and now I'll have to have the doctor look at my lo's belly buttons when we go in for a well check next week! Lol! I've never had a question for him, so I guess this is as good a start as any!

Our 2 year old has an outie, but it used to be an innie. Then a year or so ago it would become an outie when he was full. . .now it's just an outie. But I never thought to check for a hernia. Then I was told it was really strange to develop an outie belly button. . . .

Our 7 month old just has a really deep belly button that is still red and gets crusty and stinky like it just hasn't healed. Not a hernia but just a belly button thing.

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
ajanele
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest had an umbilical hernia that healed on it's own before she turned 1. Now she has the cutest outtie! DD2 has an innie, and DS's is currently an outtie, but it will probably change when he loses some chub.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
sasterb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son had an umbilical hernia. It was gone by the time he was six months.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My youngest had one too. Luckily I already knew what it was so it didn't worry me any. I will have to post pics, too, when it was an outie and now that it's a smaller outie! I think his only lasted a few months.
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #15
Winter
Registered Users
seller

DD2 and DS both had mild umbilical hernias. Now DD has a regular belly button and DS has an almost flat swirl. I was surprised when DS was born, because the length of skin he had before the umbilical material began was over 1 inch long.
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I really need to remember where I have that pic stuffed away in photobucket. It looks like a balloon. Now it's just a sorta floppy outie.

Not for a weak stomach, but if it's a hernia, I'm told it's ok so long as everything is able to go back in on its own. And the docs we've seen pushed, and in it went. Then you could watch it come back into the little pouch of skin. Weird. It felt weird to push too. You could feel a fingertip sized hole in his tummy muscles.

For most kids, becoming active and building baby abs is what helps. And it did for us.

I have to find those pictures.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #17
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

This was taken June 12, 2009. So, he was about 8 weeks here.

And in this picture he's sleeping, so it's 'at rest,' as i'd say. It got worse when he was mad, which made him cry out even harder. The nights were rough.
edited out the pictures, you creep.

what it looked like from the side, to show the length.

august of 09, so ~4 months old

and the hernia itself was gone by November, 7 months.

and a few minutes ago, 14 months. Just a floppy outie.

It's so odd now, that looking back, it was scary, trying, and emotional for me. Everyone told us it didn't hurt him, but I knew my baby's cry. But now, I find it interesting to know about, & especially to compare then to now.

Last edited by Dory; 09-07-2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: despite my usual troll sniffing prowess, I didn't put two and two together about this creep. Bandhead, Banghead! Deleted pics
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:13 AM   #18
LeslieT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd had a hernia at least as large as the PP's baby; it resolved to a small outie sometime around 6 months. I did read, while worrying about hers, that there is no difference between an outie and an umbilical hernia, though--all outies are small hernias. The scar from the umbillical cord is just t hat, a small scar--possibly thicker on some people than on others, but still just thickness in the skin. Any protrusion is behind it, through the abdominal wall--i.e. a hernia. Some very small hernias are just so benign and so common as to be normal, so we call them outies and consider them a form of navel instead of a form of hernia.
LeslieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #19
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

BOth of my girls had them. DD1's was large and we got it repaired when she was 3. The surgeon strongly suggest all his female patients have them fixed by age 5. He watched her 'progress' over a year and it didnt change so he wanted to fix it. His reason is that they can cause sever complications in pregnancy to the mom and baby. DD2's on the other hand healed itself by 18mos thankfully.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #20
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just had DS2's checked by pediatric surgeon and he's having us wait, unless he shows signs of complications or it bothering him, His looks a bit ballooned and curved when 'inflated'. it's hard to describe..the hole beneath it the dr said was a small enough size not to be a big concern right now so hed wait until about 3 and then see if it had healed itself. They said it was herniated.