Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
KaileyB2004
Registered Users

My Mood:
New to cloth (fulltime to boot!) questions!

Thanks to Diaper Swappers, I am pretty confident w/ my little stash of cloth diapers that I've got and have been working on my daughter with. I learned how to prep a doz prefolds in 30 mins on my stove, which worked wonderfully BTW and I highly recomend it with prepping new prefolds. However, I have a few questions and I'm sure you ladies could help me with this.

First off, I have about 15 Kushies that someone gave me off freecycle. They work good (she used All free and clear to wash them), but I notice when my daughter pees, omgosh it stinks of amonia. The eye burning, nose watering smell. We use predominatly GroBaby shells & inserts, or Prefolds folded to make a "liner" for the Grobaby shell. And we have never had this problem at all. I use soap nuts to wash my stash that I had. Could you ladies help me figure the solution for this?

Also, does anyone know how to make inserts for the GroBaby's or should I just stick to the folded prefolds?

Thank you!!

Advertisement

KaileyB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
mamaBex
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: New to cloth (fulltime to boot!) questions!

For the Kushies, it sounds like they have urine residue or bacteria. You could try bleaching them (a capful or two in the wash cycle, then rinse repeatedly until no more bleach smell) to kill any yuckies living in there OR a good deep clean (hot soak with detergent for a few hours, then run a couple of hot washes and cold rinses until no more suds).
Old 07-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
KaileyB2004
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you. I didnt know that you could use some bleach in those. I always thought they would destroy the diapers. I'll try that cause that smell is awful. My other diapers are fine.. thats why it was such a shock to be hit with that.
KaileyB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

IDK why everyone is against bleach... Ok I do know lol but I love bleach because sometimes I think that diapers really just need something to kill off all that nasties left behind and besides boiling, I feel like bleach is the only thing that does that well. And, for anyone like me with the kitchen upstairs and laundry in the basement, boiling is a PIA!! But, I agree with PP, a cap or two of bleach should really help!!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
littlesteps
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree with the other mamas with bleach, but if you're nervous about thinning, try peroxide, anything bought at the store will do (2%) and this shouldn't do a thing to your dipes. I'm going to have to do it with my DDs night dipes to get rid of the stinkies.
littlesteps is offline   Reply With Quote