Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
MiriamAlissa
Registered Users
seller

Tried it - still in diapers at 2. Advice?

My husband wasn't terribly into EC so that probably didn't help. But I'm home with DS Henry and a few other kids and tried EC with Henry. Once he could walk he really didn't have much interest in sitting on the potty so I backed off. He sits on the potty now some, and we still use sound cues, but he's still mostly going in his diapers.

He's a little over two and says "No" to everything. He wants so badly to put his shorts on himself but always gets his feet in the same hole, or even if he gets one in each can't get up and pull them up.

I'd like to work on getting more catches this summer if anyone has advice.

Advertisement

MiriamAlissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tried it - still in diapers at 2. Advice?

Just throwing a bunch of ideas out there -

Something I did for my son to try to encourage him to use the toilet was to make it interesting for him by observing things he enjoyed doing and letting him do them while he was sitting on the toilet. He loves playing with anything that has a lid so I would sit him on the toilet and give him a bottle with a lid and help him open and close it. I'd also let him throw a ball into the part of the Safety First potty that we have that is supposed to be a stool - I just turned it upside down and showed him to throw the ball into it. He went from being scared of sitting on the toilet to laughing and wanting to do it again.

Another thing that helped was letting him run around naked for awhile. That made it easier for me to know when he had to go and to teach him about what he was doing when he had to pee and to teach him that he should pee in the potty or toilet and not on the floor. Also he never actually used the Safety First potty as a potty except to take it apart - but he used the BBLP a LOT and still uses it quite a bit.

And I also let him try different potty seats or try sitting backwards on the toilet or sitting on the potty in the bathtub, etc - if I know he has to go sometimes he won't go if I sit him normally but will go as soon as I sit him backwards on the toilet, and we also now have a few different toilet toppers/inserts (3 now) - sometimes changing the one we're using helps or letting him put it on the toilet himself.

Another thing that helped was to let him come with us into the bathroom and it also helped that his little sister was using the potty a lot, and explain what we were doing and that he could pee in the potty or toilet too. Since at this age they love to imitate, it definitely helped.

So I guess my main suggestion would be to try a bunch of different things...and be patient. It took a couple of months of working on it and trying a bunch of different things before my son felt comfortable going on the toilet. Now he even often prefers the toilet to the potty much of the time

eta: my son was the same way when he was learning to walk, and so is my daughter now that she is wanting to walk - they both preferred to go while standing up much of the time.

Last edited by mel j; 07-07-2010 at 08:17 AM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
MiriamAlissa
Registered Users
seller

I have been meaning to let him run around naked during the summer - and now it's July already - how did that happen? Thanks for the advice.
Miriam
Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

I agree with Mel J, she has lots of great suggestions.

DS also likes things changed up and is picky sometimes. Right now he mainly likes to pee in the shower and outside. Sometimes will go in the toilet, but I still hold him in the infant type hold and I can't aim at the same time, so the shower is working for me too since he can spray across the whole shower stall. I have the BBLP and fisher price frog potty and he doesn't like sitting on them. I also have the baby bjorn potty insert and he doesn't like that either. He goes great in toilets while we are out... however occacionally he will fuss and I switched stalls once and that worked.

Naked time also worked great for us too. He is 15 months now and was on a huge strike after her started being mobile and the warm weather allowed me to let him go without a diaper and that has helped him be more aware. He still does have accidents on the carpet, but I just watch where he and put a diaper on him if he is staying on the carpet to play. And he is now signing that he has to poop (99% of the time) and sometime pee. Which is huge progress for him in the last month.

best of luck, hope that helps.
smilingjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

Oh, I also re-read some of the diaper free book to help encourage me too and get myself back on track after the big potty strike. That seemed to help with motivation too.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
MrsS
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to chime in and say don't feel bad what you are experiencing is pretty normal for some LO's personalities. They say some babies are just rather independant. My dd is and she went through lots of reverting around when she started walking and crawling.

She was ec'ed almost exclusively from 4 months on and still she is in diapers all day and night at 19 months but she has started signalling again that she has to poop and will pee on the pot some too. So it's okay we just aren't diaper free yet...we'll get there soon I guess though.
MrsS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
MiriamAlissa
Registered Users
seller

Thanks Mamas! He'll learn at some point to go potty and go to sleep on his own....

Miriam
Old 07-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

lol THat's what I keep telling myself too about our sleeping issues. Hopefully he won't need a bottle when he's 20 to fall asleep!
Old 07-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
star122802
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are doing EC with our 15 month old. We let her go without a diaper at home. There are messes at first but it gets better. Good luck!!
star122802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
MiriamAlissa
Registered Users
seller

Henry is 2.5 and almost completely potty learned. He stays dry diaper free during naps. We did a lot of naked time this summer, and just wear pants at home so its easy for him to go himself. In the church nursery last night, he apparently took off his diaper himself and went potty and left his diaper on the garbage can!