Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
sunsh1ne
Registered Users
seller

Moving to Denton or DFW area, need advice! where to live, midwives, organic food.....

Hi all! Looks like DH is getting a job in Denton, TX, and we'll most likely be moving into the area in September or October from southern california. I have never lived in Texas...only visited Houston one summer many years ago.

I would love some advice on good areas to live! DH will mostly be working from home, but would like to live no more than a half hour away from Denton for when he has to commute (but we may consider living farther away from Denton if we have to).

I am also expecting our 2nd child, due sometime in January. Anyone know a midwife that does homebirths or birthing centers in the area? Also thinking of doing hypnobabies and/or a water birth. This will also have some "tug" on which city we live in.

I also like to eat as organically as possible, and would love to live nearby some natural health food grocery stores, or even some pesticide/chemical-free farms... anyone know of anyone that has chickens that you can buy eggs from? Or any areas that would allow me to have my own backyard chickens? Any farmers markets anywhere? Organic restaurants?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by sunsh1ne; 08-26-2010 at 10:46 PM.
sunsh1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Casie629
Registered Users
seller

Re: Moving to Denton or DFW area, need advice! where to live, midwives, organic food.

I used Betty Winford at Special Beginnings for both of my boys' births. Its a freestanding birthing center and very home like. I loved it! I used hypnobabies and had a water birth with my DS2.

As for where to live... no help there. I live in South Arlington and its probably at least an hour from Denton.
Casie629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moving to Denton or DFW area, need advice! where to live, midwives, organic food.

We live just south of Denton in Lewisville. There are plenty of small towns in the area that would be good if your DH is working from Denton, but even Denton itself isn't half bad if you are ok with college towns. Dh works in Plano so we can't go too far north or it gets difficult plus both of our families live here in Lewisville. But cost of living is cheaper in Corinth, Lake Dallas, Hickory Creek and several of the other smaller towns north of the lake (between where we are and Denton). Cost of living is also far cheaper as you get north of Denton, not much up there between Denton and OK. I love the midwives in Denton. I used Polly Bennett at Caring for Women, she is a CNM and delivers out of Denton Regional. I can't have home births or even birth center births because of my health issues but Denton Regional is a really pretty place to deliver and I have been very happy with my birth experiences there. There are (at least there were several years ago) several birth centers in Denton.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
sunsh1ne
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much for your responses so far! I appreciate any advice I can get! I have thought about Lewisville, and am still considering it...do you know if you can have chickens in Lewisville or any surrounding areas? And do you like living there?

I think my main concern is finding a close enough birthing center or a midwife who does homebirths. But I did find a birthing center in right in Denton that sounds pretty nice, called Inanna Birth and Women's Care--anyone had any experiences there?
Old 07-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have lived here most of my life so no matter how much I complain it is still home. You cannot have any type of livestock in Lewisville except on a few properties that are grandfathered in. Lewisville is actually a pretty large town, it far outgrew Denton and has probably tripled in size in the time my family has been here. The schools are not great, but sadly are some of the best in the state. If you want to own chickens you should look at Corinth, Shady Shores and Lake Dallas, I believe most of them allow chickens still and some other types of livestock. Lewisville has a less country feel than most of the towns further north, it is bigger and more suburban feeling. I like that we are close enough to Dallas and Fort Worth to take advantage of the cultural events, shopping, museums and zoos. Fort Worth has one of the best zoos in the country, I love it. But we are far enough out not to be in a big city (though Lewisville gets bigger all of the time). I am not a fan of Lewisville's hospital and if we can we prefer to go to Denton Regional if we need a hospital/ER. Some of that may be negative associations with Lewisville's hospital though. I spent entirely too much time there when my grandfather was dieing.

I know there is a birth center in Denton but I haven't been there. I do not know that Lewisville has any midwives even, I know they didn't when I was delivering my kids. It is possible that Pat Brewer is doing homebirths in the area, I think my CNM mentioned something about it with my last pregnancy (but that was over 4 years ago so it is hard to tell).
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
MacyKM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live in Celina which is about 40 mins from Denton- and we can have chickens! We are still considered "small town" at 5K people. However even closer is Aubrey- 15 mins from Denton and has several small farms around that sell organinic food.

For Custom Embroidery- It's Sew Macy
MacyKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
sunsh1ne
Registered Users
seller

Great, thanks for the further info! I'm still doing a lot of research...

MacyKM--do you know what the names of the organic farms are or the addresses in Aubrey? Do they have good prices? And it looks like our due dates are very close! (mine is Jan. 6) Do you mind if I ask you where you will give birth?

Thanks all!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
MacyKM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://randcdairy.com/
That is the name of the farm- plus there are several local farmers markets on the weekends. (and my parents own an awesome restaurant in Aubrey! heheehhe momsonmain.com)

I am going to deliver at Baylor Frisco. My sister had her baby there and it was awesome- all private rooms and my doc only has privliages there. (Her office is at a different hospital admin building accross town!)
I LOVE Celina and loved living in Aubrey before I got married.

For Custom Embroidery- It's Sew Macy
MacyKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
hullabal98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I delivered in downtown FW with the UNT midwives group. It was a hospital birth, but both my hospital (Harris Methodist FW) and Baylor All Saints use CNMs. I live way south so my town isn't an option for you. I have heard good things about Aubrey and Anna as well as Prosper.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
Esthersmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know several people who delivered at Inanna and liked it alot. In fact I was talking to 2 ladies last night that used Inanna twice :-)

I visited, but ended up going with Family Birth Services in Grand Prairie... I LOVE those ladies :-)
Rosie, English born and bred, Wife to Josh, Mama to her all American daughters, the delightful little lady Esther Rose (April 06) , Sweet cuddly monkey Rachel (August 08) and sweet little Joel Athanasius (Nov 2010)
Esthersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote