Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #101
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing *their response letter*

I am really seeing this late but...

Typical of Doctors. They love to dance around the issue. Know why? Because in all their 8+ years of medical school no one taught them how to claim responsibility for their MISTAKES, only for the praise they recieve. I have yet to see a Doctor admit they were wrong, or venture to say that they don't know all the information.

This is just ridiculous. And that Doctor sounds like a complete bonehead. I would take this as far as possible...if for no other reason than perhaps so that nutty Doctor might take two seconds to do some NECESSARY reading about breastfeeding before opening his big mouth to another patient and spilling a bunch of nonsense on the table.

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #102
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

But don't you all know that doctor's are all knowing??

(Please note that this post is TOTALLY tongue-in-cheek)
Old 03-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #103
usandthegirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydlr View Post
Unfortunately, they don't teach apologizing in med school! (not sure exactly what they teach there sometimes??? ) I hope you get them set straight!
apology=admission of mistake which = malpractice suits.

i am floored at how a doctor could be so blatantly uneducated!

Last edited by usandthegirls; 03-08-2007 at 08:16 PM.
usandthegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #104
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, if your Ped is concerned about the lack of vitamin D in the rice milk, you can let her know there isn't any in breastmilk either. You can give vitamin supplements, or if you live in a sunny area, she'd get it from the sun as well. I never did the vitamin drops for long though, he didnt like them.
And, the Rice Dream brand of rice milk has all the benefits of milk in it. I give it to my son sometimes, the chocolate flavored.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #105
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

OMG, I am just reading this post fo rthe first time. I cannot believe in the Year 2007 you are going through this. Its sad and I am gladd you are standing up for yourself and all nursing moms.

I nursed my 1st dd for 6 months, I would have liked to have gone longer but I had major suply issues.

Well I am now nursing my second dd, and plan to well into the second year. I pump and give my oldest the pumped milk and she loves it. The dr said thats great, esp during cold and flu season.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #106
amhmtq
Registered Users

I can't really say anything that wasn't already said here - good for you for taking a stand and...what idiots they are. Their response letter missed the whole point. He implied during your visit that it would be detrimental to your son NOT to switch to cow's milk instead of breast milk. The letter was referring to the necessity of breastfeeding at least two years that is the WHO recommendation. You never talked about that with him. The fat content of breastmilk is perfect for growing toddlers, and the immunities concentrate to provide them almost as much as they got when they were newborns even if they are getting less volume of milk. If you go back and talk to them, how about you offer to let them pay for your medical bills for the additional incidence of illness and infection that occur over the next year since your child will be getting no immunities from the cow's milk. I would LOVE to see a lawsuit from someone who was told they MUST switch to cow's milk and their child got sick way more often after that. And I'm not really a pro-lawsuit type of person.

But...did anyone find it ironic that the sponsored link at the end of the thread is an ad for Horizon cow's milk. ROFL. Sigh...
Old 03-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #107
sienna
Registered Users

Here is some of what i would write.

Dear so and so,

I am in receipt of your letter of xy date and thank you for the same.

It seems from your letter that you misunderstood my concerns about my visit to dr. x on January x, 2007. At that visit we did not discuss the merits of breastfeeding beyond 6 months. Dr. X inquired as to how long i intended to nurse my child and when i advised her that i intended to nurse for at least 2 years she clearly stated that breastmilk has no nutritional value beyond 6 months. My concern is that Dr. X's statement is not only opposed to the recommendations of the aap with respect to breastfeeding, but that it is flat out wrong. I also recounted to the action line other statements that were made to me by dr. x about breastfeeding which were neither factual nor evidence based.

etc etc.

S

lmk if i can help any further as i used to write nasty letters for a living. (was an attorney)
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #108
ecomama7
Registered Users
seller

o.m.g i can't even begin to describe my frustration after reading that. exactly why we don't do "well-visits"

mama. the woman should NOT be in the position she's in. arrrrgghh.
ecomama7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #109
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sienna View Post
Here is some of what i would write.

Dear so and so,

I am in receipt of your letter of xy date and thank you for the same.

It seems from your letter that you misunderstood my concerns about my visit to dr. x on January x, 2007. At that visit we did not discuss the merits of breastfeeding beyond 6 months. Dr. X inquired as to how long i intended to nurse my child and when i advised her that i intended to nurse for at least 2 years she clearly stated that breastmilk has no nutritional value beyond 6 months. My concern is that Dr. X's statement is not only opposed to the recommendations of the aap with respect to breastfeeding, but that it is flat out wrong. I also recounted to the action line other statements that were made to me by dr. x about breastfeeding which were neither factual nor evidence based.

etc etc.

S

lmk if i can help any further as i used to write nasty letters for a living. (was an attorney)
thank you sienna! i haven't written my letter yet (i'm still in the middle of midterms) but i will definitely address the things that you mentioned.

i'm so angry about the situation. and to top it all off, i've tried discussing it with a few people who are important to me, and with the exception of my husband, it seems as though no one gets it! i'm getting, "well....you'll do what you have to do....."

i will definitely post here before i send it, and will welcome additions/criticisms/omissions etc.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #110
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

OH my, I just caught up on this thread and it's all ridiculous!!

I am SO HAPPY that you are pursuing this and defending extended nursing.

I have always read in my take-home papers that I should be weaning my daughter also...I just rolled my eyes and threw them away, I guess I never really thought how that simple sentence under "feeding recommendations" could really cause a mother to wean. I may be writing a letter myself thanks to you
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote