Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #131
mom2kailinconnor
'Cuz inside out is wiggity wiggity wiggity whack!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing *their response letter*

I am just now seeing this but I just wanted to say how proud I am of you for standing up for what you believe in!! WAY TO GO

Advertisement

mom2kailinconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #132
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

i have a cousin who is a doctor (he lives and raised in ecuador) , and i got that speech too. he told me there is no nutrition past the 18 months.
i went to see a ped there in ecuador and was thinking yeah she will love my cds and that i still bf david past the year and i got grief too
i was utterly in shock
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:40 AM   #133
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

were you able to work on the letter during your break? i know how breaks just slip by without me realizing it and they end up feeling MUCH shorted than i had hoped!! i hope it was relaxing!
Old 03-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #134
gringacely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry mama get a new ped! At 3 mo. I got the whole "you need to give your child vitamins because breast milk is not enough" BS. I took the prescription, threw it in the trash & got another ped.

It is really hard when the "experts" are really lacking expertise in their field.
gringacely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:38 PM   #135
Laniemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just want to say WTG mama!! This makes me so mad and I would have reacted the same way you did in the exam. Please KUP!
Old 03-31-2007, 08:50 PM   #136
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

well crap, no, i didn't get my letter finished

but i'm constantly going over it in my head, and i think i've got some good things. i think that waiting is a little better for me, so that i don't write something that's full of my EMOTIONS vs. something that is factual and addresses the issues that the director skirted around.

over spring break i thought more about our second baby than anything else! it was wonderful thanks for asking
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #137
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

congrats on the impending baby! what a wonderful way to spend a break!

yes, i know what you mean about firing off an emotional response vs a well thought out letter. keep us updated. i feel so invested in this! i can't stand drs like that one you dealt with. i hate the way they make moms feel, like they don't know what's best for their own children. anyway, good for you for doing something about it.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #138
KnitLady
Registered Users
seller

What a rotten experience and a rotten response from them. I'm NAK'ing with my 13 month old as I type this and can't imagine how awful if would be for both of us if we tried to wean now! I'm glad you were educated about ext bf'ing and didn't listen to her!

Is the bm of women in "third world" countries better than the bm of women in "first world" countries? Must be since it's still good for their babies!

I looked, but there was no "use by" date on my breasts!
Old 04-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #139
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing past one year *an UPDATE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fither View Post
ok mamas, i received this letter in the mail today. i'm just dying to hear what you all have to say about it....i don't think i even need to write what i have to say......

Dear Ms. Fither:

As Chairman of the Department of Pediatrics, I have been asked to provide a response and further information to you regarding the concern you shared with the Action Line. During that visit, you discussed with Dr. xxxxx benefits relating breastfeeding of various durations. I believe there may have been a miscommunication or misunderstanding and will relate critical issues sounding health and the duration of breastfeeding. Dr. xxxxx understood the question to relate to known benefits of breastfeeding.

In a first world environment such as the majority of those in the United States, the critical benefits of breastfeeding have been clearly demonstrated during the first six months of life. There may well be benefits observable during the first 12 months of life. These recommendations have to do with proven health benefits and do not comment on the social/emotional issues surrounding duration of breastfeeding. You related information from the World Health Organization. These recommendations relate to issues prominent in the Third World. Prolonged breastfeeding in this situation has been shown to have health and nutritional benefits, as well as increasing the probability of an increased duration of time between pregnancies, which also relate to health benefits for the child. In the Third World, alternative feeding routes that involve artificial feedings have been shown to result in health detriments such as those relating to bacterial contamination and/or inappropriate reconstitution of formulas that are used.

Those benefits demonstrable in the Third World have not been shown under rigorous scientific review to be directly applicable to environments where refigeration, other health issues, and related financial issues are less significant.

I regret the misunderstanding that occurred during your conversation. Indeed both sets of information have validity and applicability relating to scientific environments and situations that are being considered.

Sincerely yours,

Dr. xxxxxx
Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Pediatrics/Foods & Nutrition
University of xxxxxxxx

***i would just like to remind everyone, that THERE WAS NO QUESTION. i have no need to ask her about the benefits of extended breastfeeding as i'm already EDUCATED on that!***

i am, of course, going to be writing a letter back. i just have to decide what i'm going to say. i'm also going to contact my local le leche league leader, as well as take advantage of my position within my health care masters program, and get the contact info for a representative from the World Health Organization.

*sigh* it would have been so much easier if they would have apologized and admitted the mistake.
ijust saw your letter. ahh nope, ecuador is a 3rd world country and the ped told me the same crap as they told you. ((maybe cuz it was an 'expensive' ped and not a FREE one--ah maybe that is why--the elite population of Ecuador musb be exempt of what the WHO have to say--))
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #140
ecoria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I cant imagine how that was for you in the office and OMG that letter is just so wrong on so many levels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitLady View Post

Is the bm of women in "third world" countries better than the bm of women in "first world" countries? Must be since it's still good for their babies!
and of course cows know whats best for our babies, so they are superior in that respect. Imagine a human body knowing what a human baby needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitLady View Post
I looked, but there was no "use by" date on my breasts!