Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #141
fosterisacoolcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing *their response letter*

There is no reason to stop nursing before age one and in any other country it is considered very very normal to breastfeed till the kids are WELL into toddler age. My husband just today started telling me about a woman who was breastfeeding her 5 year old kid - she was from Norway or something - and he got it in an email titled 'weird things'. I had to tell thim that it was not that unusual, just unusual in the U.S. Keep on breastfeeding!!!!

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #142
Kdpie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WOW..IDK what to sy but good for you for following up and I hope that your letter in response to thiers stings as well. I am always amazed by those with closed minds, esp those in the medical profession! HUGS!
Kdpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:55 PM   #143
yoda5
Registered Users

I am just reading this now. That is so crazy. Every species on the PLANET feeds their young in the most ideal, most nutritious way except humans. Why on earth would cow's milk be the ideal food for a human baby?

Thank you so much for standing up to that doctor!!!
yoda5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #144
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I hate stupid dr.'s who have no clue what they are talking about. My dd is 18mths and still nurses to sleep. She hates whole milk and soy, and every other kind of milk. So until she starts liking it then she'll be getting it all from me.

AND WTH about cow's milk...it's FOR CALF's. I mean sure it'd be different if they plugged our boobs into a machine and mass produced it THEN maybe it'd be acceptable
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #145
foxymama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing past one year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontariomama View Post
Wow! Nathan's almost 2 and I always get "wow, good for you!" when I tell them we're still nursing.
Me too, my pediatrician always commends me for letting him self wean!
foxymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #146
sageandquinnsmommy
Registered Users

I am just coming to this now and I am shocked! Their response letter to you was a joke at best. I am simply stunned at the ignorance they displayed. Nevermind the fact that they lied about your encounter, the rest of the letter is complete garbage. I can't even imagine where they are getting this "third world" stuff???

Were you able to get in touch with a local LLL Leader? I'm a Leader and I can tell you that this is EXACTLY the kind of thing we like to know about. It helps us know where our help will be needed most. That hospital needs some serious overhaul. When I read that the person who wrote back to you was the Ped in charge of nutrition I just about lost my lunch.

I'd love to know what is happening if you get a chance to post an update. If you need any help with a follow-up letter please let me know. You can PM if you'd like. I have a lot of resources at my disposal as a Leader and would happy to assist you in any way that I can.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:06 AM   #147
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So.... Milk that is tailored to be perfect for a baby cow is more nutritionally sound for a human toddler than milk that is tailored for a human toddler?!?

Yah, and what you said about the Vit D being in Rice Milk... it's every bit as much Vit D as in cow's milk.

Sounds like you need a new ped.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #148
Kita
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomgoat View Post
So.... Milk that is tailored to be perfect for a baby cow is more nutritionally sound for a human toddler than milk that is tailored for a human toddler?!?

Yah, and what you said about the Vit D being in Rice Milk... it's every bit as much Vit D as in cow's milk.

Sounds like you need a new ped.
Yeah, I think this hits the nail on the head. I don't see how swapping out breastmilk for cow's milk will somehow be better for your child. Even laypeople know that breastmilk has a ton of nutrition in it (as well as all those antibodies)--far more than cow's milk does. Why do you think that all those toddler formulas are becoming more popular these days?

Now I'm a cow's milk lover, but DANG, that pedi is an idiot.

Good luck with your letter. Don't let it fall by the wayside. Definitely write one!
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:51 AM   #149
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I had a sub ped tell me the same thing - I was just speechless...never to go back again! I did notice in the last few weeks that ds has been hungrier for solids, but he nurses the same as before!

Tara
Old 04-18-2007, 02:01 AM   #150
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
seller

My Mood:

Great article and in FORBES too! Thanks!

Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethiecow View Post
That's a huge load of bull. I wonder how many women she's told that to who took it to heart? It makes me sad.

Anyone else read this article? Very interesting.
Fat Content of Breast Milk Increases with Time

They say they aren't sure what the effects on a child's health are from such high energy and fat content. Ya know what? I firmly believe that our bodies are making exactly what our babies need, at every stage. There's a reason there's a higher fat and energy content past one year. It's because our babies need that, I'm guessing for brain development and increased activity. You should feel good and be proud that you are still giving your son EXACTLY what he needs!