Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #161
eviesingleton
Registered Users

Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing *their response letter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoria View Post
I cant imagine how that was for you in the office and OMG that letter is just so wrong on so many levels!

and of course cows know whats best for our babies, so they are superior in that respect. Imagine a human body knowing what a human baby needs

I bet if the cows could talk, they would know more about which animals should be drinking their milk than that doctor.

Advertisement

eviesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:22 PM   #162
TJgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ugh, sounds like a total idiot. I am amazed by pediatricians sometimes. I talked to ours about our foster/adopt daughter who is currently on formula. I was interested in getting donated milk or relactating (but I don't feel comfortable asking the social workers for permission without getting an MD's recommendation first). He said "there are only subtle advantages to breastmilk over formula, and it's mostly the skin to skin contact, not the milk itself." WTH? Have you ever read any books on BF at all? Needless to say, we have an appointment with a new ped next week. Sometimes it seems that if it doesn't come in a pamphlet from a pharmaceutical company or a formula company, it doesn't get into their brains.

Oh and this ped was very interested in writing an RX for reflux medication for dfd despite no signs or symptoms of it at all. Just wanted me to be aware it's a great option. Can you say pharma bonus structure??
Old 05-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #163
shell015
Banned
seller

Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing past one year

Fither aren't you in OKC? If so... consider going to Dr. Rex Matthews. He is DS doctor and he's amazing. Totally supportive of cding and tandem bfing. He's all about natural medicine etc. HTH
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:27 AM   #164
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

I just saw this thread, haven't read through the whole thing, but WOW, what the dr said didn't surprise me (I had one tell me my milk was crap after 6 weeks, which I responded to by telling him he needed to retire and save some families the ignorance) but the letter definately surprised me, good for you for continuing to to pursue this issue, it is a very important one.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:47 AM   #165
BelovedBird
Registered Users
seller

That really sucks, but the letter they sent in response doesn't suprise me. I've seen and heard about some pretty shocking behavior from doctors and nurses in hospitals and have seen the higher ups support them on it. It happens.

Its great that you switched to a *good* dr. I cannot imagine having a dr. who did not support a normal bfing relationship!
Old 05-24-2007, 06:03 AM   #166
lizanneh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So glad your new doctor is working out!

Please keep up posted on whether you pursue more action regarding the original incident and horrible follow-up letter!
Old 05-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #167
valeriemarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing past one year *an UPDATE*

We went for our one year checkup yesterday, and when I was asked what "formula" my son gets, I replied "my blend." The nurse just shrugged. Doctor came in. Older gentleman. (Our doctor wasn't there.) He told me he was so happy to see a "young girl" like myself breastfeeding past a year. That many "young moms" don't make it past a month! Thank god we have a practice of smart doctors.
Sorry your experience sucked.
valeriemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #168
Persikka
Registered Users
Formerly: kjoslyn
seller

Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing past one year *an UPDATE*

wow... just wow...

i am so glad i found this thread. The LLL leader i NORMALLY see doesnt know my DCs Ped - but the other one does and i've only recently gotten to meet her. We had one minor issue regards to nursing at his 6 month visit (over the amount of night nursing he does.. i had only been to one LLL meeting before this so i took the Peds advise - BIG mistake! Thankfully we are back to a point now that is good for us ) and the other LLL leader, who also happens to know the DCs Ped due to a few run-ins with him - says he is flat out against nursing - esp past yr 1.

I think it might be high time for us to change Peds too.... between the nursing and him calling my child "over the overweight range" (which is BULL - take a look at her and her size - she's muscle (and i'm not just saying) but the bigger issue is he said it - IN FRONT OF HER - she picked at her food for weeks after that )... i think we'll just change or at least make our appts to see teh FNP - both are LOVELY at the Peds office

Persikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #169
srfbluemama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fither View Post
oh wow, this thread is so old i had forgotten about it! i have another wee little update about the situation.

we had our first ped's visit with our new and IMPROVED pediatrician. we LOVE him. our son didn't gain weight from his last visit, the first time it's ever happened. the ped's comment was, "well i see that he was a breastfed baby, so that's not uncommon for his weight to sort of hit a stand still right now". i said, "actually he's still breastfed". his reaction??? "oh, great! ok then, i'm absolutely confident that his body is doing exactly what it needs to be doing. women have breastfed their toddlers for all of mellenia, and i believe that humans were designed to thin out during the second year."

(it turns out that he believes that his lack of weight gain was actually from a really horrible stomach flu a few weeks back where poor jack didn't eat for five days and the fact that he's had a really bad cold this past week and hasn't eaten much during that either.)

i could have KISSED him! my husband and i looked at each other and sort of gave a little nod and a smile. we definitely made the best decision going with him.

i did mention that i offer him cow's milk and/or enriched rice milk once a day, but that he's not really that into it, some days he'll drink it, other days not at all. he just shrugged and said, "well as long as he's still nursing and he eats his table food well (which he definitely does) i wouldn't worry about it at all. whole milk isn't all it's cracked up to be, and if you're worried about vitamin D, you could always give him vitamins". and that was it, no lecture, no nothing. awesome!

as another aside, i saw our previous ped while we were there, i just walked right past her holding jack and just sort of glanced at her. i wonder if she's surprised we switched?

and i am FINALLY going to address that moronic letter they wrote back to me. i'm meeting with the breastfeeding clinic ladies in person, letting them read the letter and then go from there based on their advice. if they want to totally take over, fine with me. if they want me to address it with the hospital again, i'll do that. i finally have some time on my hands now that school is out for the summer so i'm pleased to get back to this issue. i'm glad i waited though, i was so steamed about it in the beginning i would have been way too emotional about it. now it's all pretty matter of fact and i think that will serve me better with these types of people.

thanks for your continued support mamas!
OK, I'm a little late to read this update, but reading it gave me warm fuzzies! Although we like our ped., we would *adore* your new one!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #170
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

Oh I am so happy for you mama and your new pediatrician sounds divine. I was wondering how you were doing and am glad to see you and your lil baby are doing just fine, especially with a better pediatrician.