Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #201
NSnewmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing *their response letter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggleBean View Post
Perhaps it's because I'm really tired and ran a little bit ago, but that somehow strikes me as funny. I don't actually think it should, but well...there it is. I think it's pondering the look on her face when she had to see you. At some point after being reported, she had to realize how ignorant she was....had to, right?
I am also wondering how the internship went and if anything was ever said. But I feel really bad for you. If I had been in your position, I would have been begging whoever was in charge to place me with anyone BUT her. Also, I am wondering if the breastfeeding support line that you contacted first or the LLL ever responded to the doctor's response.

Even though this is an old thread, it was new to me today and my blood boiled when I read it and I worried about whether I will face similar comments in 6 months. After all, after my son's 6-month appt this week, the doctor made a passing comment about me being "almost done breastfeeding."

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #202
hlaverdiere
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry, but you really MUST get a new PED.
hlaverdiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #203
Flipflopmobilemom
Registered Users
seller

I would find a new doctor. You are doing an awesome thing by nursing and its proven to be good for babies.
Flipflopmobilemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #204
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fither View Post
holy old thread batman! but yes, i'm still outraged at her idiocy. as an interesting aside, after i reported her and whatnot, i had to work with her for a month during my internship for my master's. AWKWARD!

and i did switch to another ped in the practice and we were very happy with him. i have since moved to chicago and found the.most.amazing pediatrician. when asked how long i nursed my oldest, i responded "three years, two months" and he said that my son was a very lucky little boy, and will reap the benefits of my dedication for his entire life. i got tears in my eyes and said, "i always try for that" and he said, "you don't just try, you succeed". THAT'S my kind of pediatrician!
wow that sucks you had to work with her!! And I want your new ped

with my dd I didn't really tell her ped I was still nursing her.. (I did for 2 yrs 9 months) but also didn't get the response you did to begin with.. Thanks for sharing the update!!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #205
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

A pediatrician did that to me as well!!! I was so outraged I wanted to cry, scream, shout and warn everyone in the waiting room of how wrong she was. My daughter was only 12 months old and I was nursing her so she'd stop screaming in their office. She was scared because everyone was so cold and acted like they hated children (in a pediatric office, go figure). I argued with the doctor though. She actually told me I was HURTING my child by nursing her past 1 year old. I told her that's not what the WHO said (World Health Organization states benefits to nursing even past 2 years old). She said I should stick with what America says. What the %&*@! Three years later and I'm still angry about it. I immediately switched offices and hated to even pay their bill for getting insulted by them for doing the best thing for my child. What is wrong with our healthcare system and what are they teaching these doctors in school! It's scary. The conversation got worse after that and we argued over a many other subject. I actually didn't return to a pediatric office for one whole year because I was so traumatized. Thank God my child is very healthy. Doctors like that actually HURT our society, mothers and children. Afterward I thought about it also, I'm supposed to start her on cow's milk at 1 yr. Wouldn't milk from the same species be healthier for her than from a cow. If she needs 16 ounces a day, why on earth can't she get it from me??
Designsbybequi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #206
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

Side note to support nursing past one year of age: in our house four people caught the stomach virus. They were violently throwing up all night long and diarrheaing for four days. Two of the people were my three year old daughter and husband who we were in close contact with. Guess who did not get it..... me (who's pregnant and immune system is in hyperdrive) and my 20 month old who nurses!! (who was obviously being protected by my immune system being in hyperdrive). Thank God I still nursed because taking care of three vomiting and diarrheaing people would have been way worse than two! Noone can tell me my dd#2 didn't receive some kind of health benefit from nursing past 1 year of age.
Designsbybequi is offline   Reply With Quote