Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #41
Elphaba71
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing past one year

I'm a family doc and I hear friends and patients who've seen other docs tell me all sorts of stories about incredibly uneducated and unsupportive docs when it comes to breastfeeding. My sister has a baby just a bit older than mine and her ped had her start supplementing while still in the hospital post partum for reasons that neither I nor my partners (a med-peds doc and a pediatrician) agreed with at all. She stopped nursing entirely after a couple of weeks, thanks to the great support she was getting (she doesn't listen to me, I'm just her sister). She keeps asking if we practice medicine differently in Indy than in Chicago where she is. Many many parenting decisions are strongly affected by the docs own choices and his/her upbringing as well as how they were trained. It can be very difficult for docs to let go of those things when good evidence comes up supporting a different viewpoint. Still, it's always possible that they aren't aware of the evidence, so I think education is a great idea, even if you're going to see someone else. Maybe she will change her tune to the next patient she has who bf's past a year.

I know this is already a novel, but my 12 month old son has been sick this week and the only thing he'll take consistently is my breast, so I'm very happy that we're "still" nursing past one year. Huh, no nutritional value.

Advertisement

Mom to Griffin - 2/5/06, and Rhiannon 12/23/07
Elphaba71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #42
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i haven't read the other responses (yet) but i had to respond!! grr

next time you see her ask, why in this particular situation is it not recommened, when her own medical board (AAP) advises at the very least a year, and as long after as the mother and baby want? what is it about your particular baby changes that recommendation?

we all see a family dr and when we were there for the boys' 12 month visit the PA (who we were seeing that day instead of the dr) asked how long i planned on nursing them. when i told her as long as they wanted she just said ok.

i don't think it is the ped's place to give input/criticism on how you raise you child. bfing is more than nutrition (though that part cannot be discounted), it is a way of life, part of a whole approach to mothering.

sorry you had to go through that. trust yourself and do what is best for you and your family. and tell her to sit on it!!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #43
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fither View Post
well, i did it! i called and got a new pediatrician. it is with a doctor who is very popular, so popular that it can be hard to get an appt, but it's worth it. his wife nursed all six of their babies, and i've heard that he's very supportive of breastfeeding. i also told the nurse who took my call why i was switching.

i'm going to mail some info to her office, so she'll certainly know why we're no longer seeing her.

i NEVER rock the boat, but i just couldn't let this slide.

i cannot imagine the trauma my son would go through if i tried to wean him now. he LOOOOOOOVES nursing. i know him well enough to know that he is absolutely not ready to give up nursing yet.
FANTASTIC!!
Old 02-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #44
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so glad that you are finding another doc. DD is 21 months old and still nursing some. I think more for comfort than nutrition, but she still is.

I have never had anyone question my nursing. They would smile and nod their head and say good. My doc even has reservations about soy milk, so she is perfectly ok with that. She also doesn't like when kids get a lot of juice so that helps a lot too!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #45
kkmoto
Registered Users
seller

Time to get a doc. who has some of your same ideas- or who is accepting of then.

And WHY do people put so much into what they say... your child your choice! I keep hearing oh the dr. said I can start solids now, the dr. said cio is good....... Medical yes other stuff- unless your an idiot you know what is best!!

Good job nursing!! Ignor those comments you are doing great!
Old 02-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #46
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
I'd tell her flatout that she is uneducated about breastfeeding, and you'll be following the WHO recommendations, thank you very much. And I would stop the conversation there unless you really feel the need to get in an argument about educating her about it. Just put your foot down and say that she can keep her uneducated opinion to herself or you will find a new pediatrician who can actually KEEP UP with kids healthcare recc's.
Great idea, I was thinking just say "No benefit then why does the World Health Orginization recommend it?" It seems to me I read something about the AAP finding it beneficial, I don't know that they go as far as recommending it but they will in a few years if they aren't scared of making moms mad that don't want to. You do not have an out there view on it afterall WHO recommends it.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #47
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen View Post
I'm so shocked by that ignorant doc I can hardly type....

PLEASE FIND A NEW PED.

I'm a family practice PA-C - not all Doc's are made equal and this lady is NOT practicing evidence based medicine. If she is behind on something as important as that - what else is she not up to date on....

Providers are only as good as their continuing medical education and their ability to listen and think...

If at all possible I would really think of finding someone new..

Gwen

Old 02-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #48
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm glad to see you're sending info. I just feel bad for the next mom who walks in there who doesn't know any better and her poor baby gets weaned.

Also my little ones don't gain much after a certain age regardless of what they are eating they are just too busy to stop. Breastfeeding actually slows them down it's hard for them to nurse and run.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #49
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I'm so glad you got a new dr!!! the first one sounds like a quack!!
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #50
usandthegirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i would be finding me a new ped. i honestly would not trust her advice on other matters if she is so clueless about something so simple. i'm sorry you dealt with that. i would have nicely ask her why the WHO reccomended at least two years and where she heard that BM is no longer good for your son.