Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #81
shaykismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing past one year *an UPDATE*

Just wanted to say GOOD FOR YOU MAMA!! My ydd is almost 13 months and I can't imagine just stopping BFing because she turned that magic 1-year-old mark. I told my dh about this story and he was horrified by the peds ignorance too.

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #82
Radish4ever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us updated!!!!
Radish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #83
desicasi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing past one year

I'm glad you got a new Dr. I can't believe you were told that.
desicasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #84
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing past one year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fither View Post
well, i did it! i called and got a new pediatrician. it is with a doctor who is very popular, so popular that it can be hard to get an appt, but it's worth it. his wife nursed all six of their babies, and i've heard that he's very supportive of breastfeeding. i also told the nurse who took my call why i was switching.

i'm going to mail some info to her office, so she'll certainly know why we're no longer seeing her.

i NEVER rock the boat, but i just couldn't let this slide.

i cannot imagine the trauma my son would go through if i tried to wean him now. he LOOOOOOOVES nursing. i know him well enough to know that he is absolutely not ready to give up nursing yet.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #85
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

ok mamas, i received this letter in the mail today. i'm just dying to hear what you all have to say about it....i don't think i even need to write what i have to say......

Dear Ms. Fither:

As Chairman of the Department of Pediatrics, I have been asked to provide a response and further information to you regarding the concern you shared with the Action Line. During that visit, you discussed with Dr. xxxxx benefits relating breastfeeding of various durations. I believe there may have been a miscommunication or misunderstanding and will relate critical issues sounding health and the duration of breastfeeding. Dr. xxxxx understood the question to relate to known benefits of breastfeeding.

In a first world environment such as the majority of those in the United States, the critical benefits of breastfeeding have been clearly demonstrated during the first six months of life. There may well be benefits observable during the first 12 months of life. These recommendations have to do with proven health benefits and do not comment on the social/emotional issues surrounding duration of breastfeeding. You related information from the World Health Organization. These recommendations relate to issues prominent in the Third World. Prolonged breastfeeding in this situation has been shown to have health and nutritional benefits, as well as increasing the probability of an increased duration of time between pregnancies, which also relate to health benefits for the child. In the Third World, alternative feeding routes that involve artificial feedings have been shown to result in health detriments such as those relating to bacterial contamination and/or inappropriate reconstitution of formulas that are used.

Those benefits demonstrable in the Third World have not been shown under rigorous scientific review to be directly applicable to environments where refigeration, other health issues, and related financial issues are less significant.

I regret the misunderstanding that occurred during your conversation. Indeed both sets of information have validity and applicability relating to scientific environments and situations that are being considered.

Sincerely yours,

Dr. xxxxxx
Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Pediatrics/Foods & Nutrition
University of xxxxxxxx

***i would just like to remind everyone, that THERE WAS NO QUESTION. i have no need to ask her about the benefits of extended breastfeeding as i'm already EDUCATED on that!***

i am, of course, going to be writing a letter back. i just have to decide what i'm going to say. i'm also going to contact my local le leche league leader, as well as take advantage of my position within my health care masters program, and get the contact info for a representative from the World Health Organization.

*sigh* it would have been so much easier if they would have apologized and admitted the mistake.

Last edited by Fither; 03-08-2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #86
AshersMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing *their response letter*

I don't even know what to say to this. Good luck with your letter, and please post it!

Like to read? Want something new? Come join us in the March Used Book Swap!
AshersMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #87
hollydlr
Registered Users
seller

Unfortunately, they don't teach apologizing in med school! (not sure exactly what they teach there sometimes??? ) I hope you get them set straight!
Old 03-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #88
chrisandjames
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow I am shocked at the claim of a miscommunication here. I think your doctor was being quite clear with you and vice versa. Sounds like the coward is trying to hide behind the medical director who wrote you the letter - I think you should have received a response from the former doctor as well.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #89
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That really sucks and would really urk me. Go after them mama, this is just stupid.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #90
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is ridiculous! Dr. XXXX did not even address the problem & your concerns, but instead prevaricated and talked about a subject completely separate from what you wanted to talk about! Typical - too bad they didn't step up & address it.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote