Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
singingpraises7
Registered Users

Re: 2nd Go at CD'ing...Flip or GroVia for 20mos old?

I love both for my toddler but if I had to choose one or the other I would say flips. I love the organic inserts and find they work awesome with receiving blankets too.

Advertisement

Last edited by singingpraises7; 07-09-2010 at 01:36 PM.
singingpraises7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
zander's mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried the GroBaby shortly after they came out and only ended up using them about 5 times and sold it all off. DS was in them when he was about 18mo (about 28lbs I'd say) and they cut into his legs and back. That and they didn't completely cover his booty so we had a few incidents that did not stay in the diaper at all. All babies/kids wear diapers differently though...you could buy one of each and then decide which one fits and wears best on your LO.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
annb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The GroVia's aren't big enough to make it worth your while. While I thought the Flips would be great, and I do think their inserts with the stay-dry side are cool, flips are just covers. There is nothing too special about the flip cover. You could put the inserts (any of them including the disposable ones) into ANY covers, like a bummi or thirsties.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
MoeFam
Registered Users

Thanks for the advice Mommas. Now here is my please be brutally honest question...

If I didn't make it the first time- what's the chance I will make it now? Is it easier or harder now that he is older? BGOS were awesomely easy to change- it was the amount of laundry I hated. Will the fact I am washing more inserts and less full diapers really matter?

I have two older children and we did not CD them- the ease of the disposable was well known by the time we got to number three.
MoeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
wackifamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think washing is always going to be one downfall of cloth diapering, but without a diaper service, there is no way around it. At least with the flips, you can wipe out the inside and continue to use the same cover, unless it is a messy BM. I always have a cover prefilled with the insert or prefold so that when it is time to change, it is as easy as a disposable. Then I wipe the cover, and let it dry, and refill it for the next change. With several covers and enough inserts, it wouldnt be all that difficult to launder. I hang the covers and run a cold wash and then a hot wash/cold rinse in regular tide powder and I am done! I may change my song once baby #3 comes a long, but for now, this routine with my 23 month DS works well! :0)
wackifamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #16
deanaparthur
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With flips, you could use flats pad folded - it'd be much easier for your FL washer to clean. And hemp doublers - they are easy to boil to strip if you run into buildup.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #17
deanaparthur
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeFam View Post
Thanks for the advice Mommas. Now here is my please be brutally honest question...

If I didn't make it the first time- what's the chance I will make it now? Is it easier or harder now that he is older? BGOS were awesomely easy to change- it was the amount of laundry I hated. Will the fact I am washing more inserts and less full diapers really matter?

I have two older children and we did not CD them- the ease of the disposable was well known by the time we got to number three.
Less diaper changes = easier
Toddler poop = harder
My 2 1/2 yr old uses Flips with organic inserts. He needs changed every 2-3 hours, his poops are deadly. We swish than spray. You can do it!
Old 07-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #18
annb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if you stacked or folded diapers when you washed before, but to me one of the worst parts of laundry is folding and putting away. Only with diapers you don't have to do that. We just keep ours in the bottom of the pack n play, so when they come out of the wash the laundry basket just gets dumped into there. Or you could just keep them in a regular basket or something near wear you change diapers.
What kind of front loader do you have?
Old 07-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
MoeFam
Registered Users

We have a Kenmore and I hate the darn thing. I would do anything to go back to my top loader!

My husband and I looked into it some more today- we have a good friend using Flips coming to visit in August and they gave us some more info too. I think we will try the Flips and maybe one pack of GroVia just to see. Does anybody know why CottonBabies dosn't have the disposable inserts for the Flips? We may need those for Disney (at least while at the parks

I do have some prefolds left from last time- so I can use those as an insert in the Flip too?
MoeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #20
ATallGiraffe
Registered Users
Formerly: janny17
seller
seller

I liked Flips better because the fit my son better, but it all depends on your baby! My son is chunky & long. I found that the GroBaby inserts took far too long to dry too.