Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
crunchymomma
Banned
seller

need kid friendly vegetarian recipes... PLEASE

Ds (10 yoa) has researched and decided that he wants to be a vegetarian. I think it's great and want to encourage him. DH is pretty meat demanding and I have to admit that I like my meat too. Any EASY kid friendly vegetarian recipes out there? Also how can we make up the missed vitamins and protein from the meat?

Advertisement

crunchymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #2
Taowensf
Registered Users
seller

Re: need kid friendly vegetarian recipes... PLEASE

Do you like Indian food? There are TONS of vegetarian Indian dishes and they have loads of flavor! Plus, you usually eat lentils or rice or both, and you end up with so-called "whole proteins".
Taowensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
gardengirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

being a vegetarian is very easy. Does he still want to get dairy and eggs? I would suggest the library for cookbooks and information for you to educate yourself so you can feel comfortable with his decision. When I converted it was a great place for recipe ideas, information to help me understand how to eat properly and how to answer other peoples questions. I don't know if there are any "kid" friendly books, but if you find some I would suggest you have him read up on it also. I know of a great website that is vegetarian friendly but don't know if it is okay to post it. LMK and I will.

Also talk to your pediatrician. My dh and I met with the one we are going to use once we bring our dd home from China and she didn't have any issues with me raising her without any animal products ( no eggs or dairy). Many people though have issues with their dr when the choose to change. So the dr could be your ally if you don't want him to change or against you if you want to support him.

Sorry this is long, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
jamielynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A wonderful cookbook is Better Than Peanut Butter and Jelly, Quick Vegetarian Meals Your Kids Will Love
By, Marty Mattare and Wendy Muldawer.

Not only does it have simply healthy vegetarian meals, it also has a section at the beginning for mom and dad about becoming vegetarian, the nutritional and health nedds of children etc...

Though we eat some meat, I love this book for quick ideas for the days we don't eat meat.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
katiejack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Andy is pretty much a vegetarian (although he will eat ham,bacon - all the stuff that is bad for you anyway with tons of salt that we hardly ever buy). So, we use peanut butter a lot as well as eggs and milk and cheese and beans (pretty much any kind he'll eat - black, pink, pinto, red, Northern, etc.). Beans and brown rice with cheese sauce is one of his favorite dishes!

Spinach is a good source of iron that Andy loves (especially on pizza). We also use tofu sometimes - fry it up and toss it in with rice noodles, veges., and a sauce for an easy meal!

Good luck and post some things that you find work for us! It would be great!
katiejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
mudpiemaker
Registered Users

another good book...

Raising vegetarain children....good recipes and lots of info about how much protein and other essentials growing kids need.
mudpiemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
babydogs3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm a vegetarian too and it's really pretty easy to get all the vitamins, protein, etc. you need if you eat a variety of foods. Especially if he eats diary products and eggs he should have no problems.
Tofu, beans, peanut butter, eggs, etc. are good sources of protein.
I second the better than peanut butter and jelly book. Also try vegan family favorites.
If you have any questions, pm me. I've been a vegetarian for over 10 years so I know a lot about the subject. Plus when I first became one I had to convince my parents.