Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
imacowgirl2
Registered Users
seller

HS possible for WOHM?

Over the past two years, I just keep coming back to the question about whether HS would be right for us...the biggest problem? I'm a WOHM, and right now (and for at least 4-5 years in the future) its simply not possible for me to go back to being a SAHM.

Would it be even remotely feasible for me to try to HS our DS? He's going into K this year, at a private school that I am happy with for the lower grades but not wild about as the kids get older, so the earliest I would start would be next year for 1st grade.

Or is it simply not possible for a WOHM to HS? Would I be better off just tabling the entire thing until it might be possible for me to be a SAHM and then pull him from the private school at that point?

I just don't know One of my main motivators for wanting to HS is that he is very bright and I can already see that from a year of pre-school at the PS (not private school he'll be going to for K) that he's going to be like DH and I and be very bright and way ahead of his class in most things...I just don't want him to become bored and lose his love of learning like DH did.

All welcome...am I crazy to even contemplate it at this point or not?

Advertisement

imacowgirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
sb12345
Registered Users

Re: HS possible for WOHM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacowgirl2 View Post
Over the past two years, I just keep coming back to the question about whether HS would be right for us...the biggest problem? I'm a WOHM, and right now (and for at least 4-5 years in the future) its simply not possible for me to go back to being a SAHM.

Would it be even remotely feasible for me to try to HS our DS? He's going into K this year, at a private school that I am happy with for the lower grades but not wild about as the kids get older, so the earliest I would start would be next year for 1st grade.

Or is it simply not possible for a WOHM to HS? Would I be better off just tabling the entire thing until it might be possible for me to be a SAHM and then pull him from the private school at that point?

I just don't know One of my main motivators for wanting to HS is that he is very bright and I can already see that from a year of pre-school at the PS (not private school he'll be going to for K) that he's going to be like DH and I and be very bright and way ahead of his class in most things...I just don't want him to become bored and lose his love of learning like DH did.

All welcome...am I crazy to even contemplate it at this point or not?
I work AT home and homeschool, but I have seen many, many, many stories of parents who work outside of the home and homeschool. They just put the homeschool schedule around their job. Who says you can't homeschool at night or on the weekends? That is the greatest thing about homeschooling- it is life and it fits with your schedule, you don't have to fit into its schedule.

I know you would probably like a first-hand account, but I have seen many stories where woman either attended college full-time, worked full-time, or even single parents who still managed to homeschool.
sb12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
BeccaD777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is possible, but I think in your situation I would send him to the good private school and supplement on the side. See if there are advanced classes he can attend or if you can bring in extra work for him after he finishes his classwork. That way he is not bored waiting for the rest of the class to be done. Or give him books to read in his down time. That is what I used to do when I would finish all my work and was just waiting. I ALWAYS had a book with me at school. I hate to be idle.

Find out what he is learning at school and get books and activities to supplement at home. That way he is digging deeper and satisfying that need to learn.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
BeccaD777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, my other thought is what are you going to do with him while you are working? If you have to put him in daycare, you might as well send him to school so at least he is learning something during the time you are at work. Otherwise he is just wasting his time.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
granolamommie
Registered Users

If he is going to be cared for by a family member then it makes sense, but I agree with BeccaD777- if he is going to be in daycare, you might as well put him in school as long as you are happy with that. Maybe try to find a work from home job.
granolamommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
o3b
Registered Users

If you plan to work opposite of your DH, then you can do it. That is hard on a marriage (not so much the schooling; it's more the opposite work schedule of not seeing each other, not doing things together, weekends tied up, etc). You CAN do it. Early on it is much less time. In 4-5 years as you come home, the schooling will get more intense.
o3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
mamaniki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by o3b View Post
If you plan to work opposite of your DH, then you can do it. That is hard on a marriage (not so much the schooling; it's more the opposite work schedule of not seeing each other, not doing things together, weekends tied up, etc). You CAN do it. Early on it is much less time. In 4-5 years as you come home, the schooling will get more intense.
We unschooled through my MW training, which was WAY more than full-time work hours. The kids were with MIL one day a week (she is a music teacher, both private and in schools/community college), a friend of ours another (who also homeschools) and DH and I had non-overlapping schedules the rest of the time. It was great because each person had something different to offer the kids, and they really thrived with that. Unschooling works best when you have adults around who are enthusiastic and can work with the kids and answer all their questions comprehensively; the more people you can pull in to do that, the better.

DH and I hardly saw each other, but the kids thrived.

I think schooling is getting less, rather than more, intense. The kids can read on their own, do their own internet and library searches, etc. now, and don't need us to initiate that kind of thing anymore. At most they need a few suggestions about where to start or who to ask about something they're interested in.
mamaniki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #8
o3b
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by o3b View Post
If you plan to work opposite of your DH, then you can do it.
I am not sure now what I was thinking when I wrote that. You don't have to work opposite of your DH. All of the homeschoolers I know where both parents work do it with opposite schedules, but that doesn't mean it is the only way. You might be able to find someone to watch your child(ren) while you are at work, and then do schooling when you are home.

DH and I work opposite of each other. And that is hard on our marriage. It results in little free time. I work nearly every holiday, and most weekends, so I miss out on lots of family events. We can't keep the yard work up, and the house is not as tidy as I would like it to be. Our house should have been painted four years ago. I get little free time because, unless I am at work, I am with the kids. If they were at school, I could get things done around the house, but instead they are at home more and the house gets messier.

My point was that you may have to give somewhere. We can't do it all, and adding in schooling is a big time and energy commitment. However, you can do it if you feel strongly that it is the right thing for your family.
o3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #9
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

Dh and i also work somewhat opposite to make it work. He works 5 days a week (so home 2) and i work 4 days a week (so home 3) so between the 2 of us, we are home, with the kids, 5 days per week. And then they go to sitters the other 2 days. IT has downfalls. Obviously, it means dh and I NEVER get the SAME day off together. Unless we plan it that way in advance and send the kids to the sitter 3 days that week, so we can do something special together as a family on the day off together. Also, I am lukcy to have a job that allows me the flexibility to work 4 days instead of 5.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Depending on what state you live in, it may be possible for your child to be cared for by another homeschooling family and receive instruction from them. Or you may be able to find a homeschooling family to provide daycare for you while you are at work. Many homeschool families would love to find a way to bring a little extra money into the household in a way that does not change their family schedule.

If you feel like homeschooling is the best option for your child, it is possible. It may be a bit more challenging for a while but it is possible. With a younger child, it will be harder because they won't be as independent as an older child but if you feel it is best for your child, I'm sure you can find a way to make it work.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote