Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
goingfor3
Registered Users

Pink Eye in 9 day old newborn

My two kids and I all had pink eye about two months ago. Mine and my daughter's cleared up quickly, but I ended up taking my almost 3 year old to the eye doctor because his was in both eyes and getting worse. Eye doc prescribed drops and said he had it pretty bad as he had both bacterial and viral versions of pink eye. Eye drops cleared his up.

Today, my 9 day old wakes up with the discharge around her one eye. Eye itself is not pink (yet), but this is the same yellowish discharge son had. I am wiping it with a wet washcloth, and have squirted some breastmilk in it. (She has only had breastmilk so far) She did receive the eye goop after birth at the hospital which is suppose to help prevent infections. A quick google search also makes it appear that pink eye is rather common in newborns, but could turn to something serious if not treated quickly.

If she still has discharge in the morning, I will be taking her to the pediatrician tomorrow, but looking for anybody who has had experience with pink eye in newborns. I am not really intending on taking her to the ER today. If you disagree with me not taking her to the ER, let me know, and I will call the pediatrician's office to see what they say. Also, is there any truth to the breastmilk clearing it up?

Thanks

Advertisement

goingfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
heatherslove
Need coffee....NOW!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pink Eye in 9 day old newborn

My now 3 year old DD got an eye infection at exactly 9 days old as well. She also got the eye ointment after birth but I guess it didn't do the trick. Her one eye was really bad so I took her to the doctor and they gave me the eye ointment and it cleared up in a couple days.
heatherslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
goingfor3
Registered Users

Heatherslove-How quickly did you take her to the doctor? I think I am fine waiting until tomorrow, as it did just start today, but looking for a little reassurance in my decision. (also hoping it will clear up before tomorrow !!! )
Old 07-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Breastmilk 'can' clear it up if you catch it early. Just express a couple of drops into her eye with each feeding. I would express a bit into my hand then drop it into their eyes with my finger. If it looks better by tomorrow she's fine, if its the same or worse I'd take her to the Doc then. Its not going to blind her in 24 hours or anything crazy like that. Whenever my kids have had pink eye its usually taken me 2-3 days to decided that's what it is. Oh, and the newborn eyedrops are to specifically prevent blindness from STD's (can't remember which one) that are active in the mother at the time of vaginal birth. That's why we always refused them for our younger children.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
goingfor3
Registered Users

Lakemom,
Thanks for the reassurance. The only reason I am even saying pink eye is the discharge, as the eye isn't pink yet.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

it might just be a clogged duct. my DD got it all the time when she was a newborn, google that and you can gently massage under her eye and it should clear up in a day or two.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

clogged ducts are super common...
here is a link
http://www.parenting.com/article/Pre...-Eye-Discharge
Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with ^^could just be a clogged ducted, all my babaies have them and yes breastmilk is best and will clean up any infection, and could have been used for your big kids too.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like a clogged duct. My first daughter had one when she was a newbie. The pedi just said to keep wiping it out with a clean, warm, and wet washcloth. I did that but it was taking forever to go away. My mom snuck and dropped some expressed breastmilk in her eye (I was only 18 and I thought that it sounded weird, lol) and sure enough it went away lickety-split. I swear by breastmilk now. I've even used it in my DH's eyes when he had a sty and it worked great!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
momk2009
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the clogged duct..both ds and dd had them for about 2 - 3 months when it cleared up on it's own, I did 'massage' the ducts too shortly before it cleared up in dd (didn't know to try earlier) and that seemed to help.